Music effects my drawing, i need some peacefull and calm music recomdendations

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2007   #16
try these

I've been trying to learn guitar and found some great instrumentalists chech these samples from youtube/G-video. I think they might be what you are looking for

Paulinho Nogeira

Dilermando Reis

Wes Montgomery

what do you guys think ?

Old 10 October 2007   #17
I've always found that Yo Yo Ma works wonders to keep things calm but moving...

Old 10 October 2007   #18
I also don't agree that listening to music while working is a good idea. You can't do both things at the same time.
Either you're listening to the music, and therefore not fully concentrating on your work, or you're fully concentrating on your work and the music becomes nothing but background burble.
I respect the music I listen to a lot more then to treat it as background noise.
As for music 'helping' while you draw, that's all just your misperception. You're really just filling your own prophecy there. Call it a placebo effect.

Old 11 November 2007   #19
To oDDity, your word is not gospel.

Old 11 November 2007   #20
Oddity also has no art or posters on his wall, because they would just be "background decoration", and he wouldn't fully appreciate them, and he clearly has more respect for art than that.

Old 11 November 2007   #21
Thumbs up

Lately I've been listening to Radiohead's new album 'In Rainbows' while drawing. It's really great.

Old 11 November 2007   #22
Originally Posted by oDDity: I also don't agree that listening to music while working is a good idea. You can't do both things at the same time.
Either you're listening to the music, and therefore not fully concentrating on your work, or you're fully concentrating on your work and the music becomes nothing but background burble.
I respect the music I listen to a lot more then to treat it as background noise.
As for music 'helping' while you draw, that's all just your misperception. You're really just filling your own prophecy there. Call it a placebo effect.

Music can help put you into an alpha state of mind.

Old 11 November 2007   #23
I like to listen to finger style guitar while painting, though this is not everything i listen to, but its quite calming and this is what you were looking for, right?
heres a sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Igb5Yors4

Old 11 November 2007   #24
great topic, here are a few artists i like to listen to while working (some of them were already mentioned here):

sigur ros
explosions in the sky
Iron and wine
radiohead
Great Lake Swimmers
Kings Of Convenience
M. Ward
Tom waits 70's albums
Will oldham (aka Bonnie prince billy) solo albums

thats it for now

itay

My sketchbook thread

Old 11 November 2007   #25
As posted posted before APhex Twin is a genius. I would definately listen to the cd selected ambiant works vol.2. This cd is great for inspiration.

Old 11 November 2007   #26
Use your intuition

The most relaxing music, for me, is classical/jazz/spiritual. So anything from Mozart to Bach may help ease your mind into a highly-productive creative state. Kings of Convenience, which is a group outside of my mentioned genres, are quite relaxing too. I also like listening to Norah Jones, John Mayer, James Blunt, Lauryn Hill, Erykah Badu and Alicia Keys from time to time. It all really depends on what type of emotions you are trying to get out of your art.

So, in closing, I say, "Go with your intuition." Go through a whole bunch of songs, pick the ones you like, put them into a playlist, and then play them whenever you need to be stimulated.

Hope this was of some help!

Take care

Old 11 November 2007   #27
Classical music and soundtracks are always a great choice!

I just got hold of the Lord of the Rings complete recordings issues [ROTK alone has 4 cds of music]! They include all music recorded for the 3 films [extended dvd stuff included]... hours and hours of amazing score Highly recommend it!

Old 11 November 2007   #28
Check this out : http://nans.music.free.fr/menu/music/music.htm

Old 12 December 2007   #29
Originally Posted by Kfeeras: i listen to smoothjazz.com internet radio on itunes while drawing

I encountered this one at another's gathering not too long ago. Personally I prefer the stations on SOMA fm.

Old 12 December 2007   #30
My favorite chill-out working music:

Anything by Biosphere, especially later works.
Harold Budd. Yes, he's done a a lot more work (and better, imho) than that Eno album way back when. "Avalon Sutra" is a favorite (and has a bonus disk containing a 70 minute remix of 1 song!).
Pop Ambient series, issued by year. These are all awesome.
Anything by Stars of the Lid. Soothing guitar/drone/ambient tunes.

Thread Closed share thread