Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-22-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
darkchiefMB
Mambo
burlington, USA

Basic Human modeling

Hi
This is one of my first attempts at character modeling. I trying to stick to true anatomy as much as possible. I'm only focusing on specific areas at the moment. I'm trying to get the chest area (Pectoralis Major) and shoulder (Deltoid) to work. Here are pictures of my attempts. I need some help with poly flow and any flaws you see. It's a very basic mesh.

I've looked at some models were the pectoralis and deltoid form a sort of cape (thats what I've tried to do) , and others were the pectoralis major flows under (i think) the deltoid. Which one is correct

Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 05-23-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
Piek
---
portfolio
Pete Kempton
United Kingdom

Hi. I've banged, and continue to bang, my head to this one as well. I was taught to first breakdown and analyse the function of each muscle group before designing a form. So:

Deltoids - You can think of these as 3 triangular wedges that hang off the clavicle and scapula and converge in a point near the top of the humerus.

Pecs - These are strips of muscles that are lined up at the sternum but form a fan as they connect to the humerus. In other words the uppermost pec is lower down on the arm and vice versa - that's why you see a 'crossing' effect on body builders. The insertion into the arm is hidden by the deltoids and bicep.

With skin and fat, these forms become less severe.

You mentioned that you are focusing just on the deltoids and pecs at the mo'? I'd add in the clavicle and scapula lines - it'll help with defining deltoids and give you something to hang stuff off. And, if you don't have them already, the books of Eliot Goldfinger and Stephen Rogers Peck are good references. Good luck :o)

Old 06-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #3
darkchiefMB
Mambo
burlington, USA

progress

Back again.

Thanks for the great advice piek, Started a new model did my best to include the clavicle this time round. Went with the cape flow for the pec muscles, and defined the deltoids a little better. Also went ahead and tried to make more of the form. Tried defining the rib cage, and abdominis muscles.

Crits and help needed, am I heading in the right direction?

Old 06-14-2007, 03:41 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread