3d Modeling on the Right Side of the Brain

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2006
3d Modeling on the Right Side of the Brain

I have ‘Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain’ by Betty Edwards.

It made great sense for people like me who haven’t had any formal instruction in drawing. It has improved my drawing skills.
A lot of stuff is also applicable to 3d- the most imp I had is not concentrating on naming the object/muscles but rather looking at the shape etc.

So I was wondering whether there is any book out there, which covers the concepts for 3d modeling. Something like a ‘3d Modeling on the Right Side of the Brain’

What books would you guys suggest? Not step by step tuts but something which talks about the general principles of 3d computer art which can be applicable to modeling anything in 3d.
By the way, 1 question for all sculptors, clay modelers- is modeling with clay/stone different from modeling on a computer? Do you guys use any books/videos which cover the art of modeling- not the technical details but rather dealing with the form, angles, space etc.

Last edited by Rebeccak : 04 April 2007 at 02:24 PM.

04 April 2007
Smile 3D life Modelling

Have you tried 3D modelling looking at a real object. Use a simple object which looks alive like a teddy bear or a panda. Think what you see as a form.. and feel it with hand.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PimbD6C7n8o
What I do with the pastel you can do with the mind first and then with 3D software.
Atula

04 April 2007
Hello Atula
Glad you decided to come here!

About 3d Modeling...hmm...no... At this point I've decided not pursue modeling but concentrate on animation. But I'm not ruling out the possibility of getting back to modeling. I just want to focus all my faculties on animation right now, rather than spread my focus thin.
Nice tut. I had already seen it before when you uploaded it on yahoo. Nice recap for me.

04 April 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

04 April 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread