aggie93
Fighting Texas Aggie

portfolio
Davey Edwards
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squash-n-Stretch
Word.

The reason why we like life drawing and such is because it's all about observation. Observation is stimulating for the brain. None of this 'I'm addicted to beauty' nonsense. I've never had a good looking life drawing model! Most of em are blokes!

I have to concur. One of the last live models I used was a seventy year old lady. I have to admit that it was like anatomy lab which is my favorite art work. I guess getting that perfect model will have to come from our artistic ability, Squash! We can always dream and lie to our friends though. My friends all think when I go to live labs, I am going to the strip club. Wouldn't they be in for a suprise if the went with me!

My new anatomy thread

My Graphic Novel thread! & Blog

My digital thread

My anatomy thread!

Art is never finished, It's abandoned!

Old 09-28-2006, 08:16 PM   #17
Squash-n-Stretch
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Andreas Antoniades
Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design and Technology
Ireland

Send a message via MSN to Squash-n-Stretch
Yeah but if you did have a really hot model...the drawing would be so boring, and it would be so hard to get a realistic representation! The busier the body (i.e. wrinkles, pot bellies etc.) the more informative a 'map' you have to go from point to point to, the more chance for interesting mark making, more chance that it will look right and have accurate proportions...I could go on and on!

Old 09-29-2006, 11:18 PM   #18
FarDays
Frequenter

portfolio
Karl Kinsella
Architectural History
Dublin, Ireland

What a great question and something I've wondered myself. There's a Jewish philosopher (Burber I think his name is) and he talks about there being two different types of relationships between a person and something external from the person.
The I-It relationship and the I-thou (or I-You) relationship, it's a fascinating piece and one applicable to our daily lives. The I-It relationship refers to the object and subject, like a human and a pencil, we view the pencil as an object with a purpose and thats the extent of our relationship with the pencil.
The I-thou reltionship exists between two "intelligent" beings, where communication exists on a two-way basis (It must be noted I am summerising here and it's rather late).

I think we spend alot of our time in the I-it relationship, we see the people in the towns and cities within this perspective, as objects fulfilling the purpose e.g. the shop assistant, co-worker etc.
Funnily enough, one would expect the artist-model relationship to be the climax of the I-it relationship and I think it is the subversion of that expectation that (some) people experience when drawing from life. When one draws a person, I (we) don't really forget that persons face, it affects us, whether we realise it or not. The relationship transfers (or maybe evolves) sometimes into the I-thou relationship and we see the person as something else.

I've talked to models afterwards and alot of them go completely blank during the process, perhaps they are experiencing something aswell.
Anyway, a fascinating subject.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:25 AM   #19
NR43
Student for Life!

portfolio
Johan Derycke
Stedelijke Academie voor Beeldende Kunst Leuven
Meerbeek, Belgium

Send a message via MSN to NR43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squash-n-Stretch
The busier the body (i.e. wrinkles, pot bellies etc.) the more informative a 'map' you have to go from point to point to, the more chance for interesting mark making, more chance that it will look right and have accurate proportions...

equals beauty

Quote:
I could go on and on!

sounds like (at least a hint of) addiction to me

Old 09-30-2006, 09:25 AM   #20
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread