CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Korpus School of Art + Gallery
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

pushav,

Aw, c'mon pushav, we know you can do better than that! Define for yourself what makes a piece 'evocative' ~ how can you provoke an emotional response in someone else...it's ok that this is a WIP, but try to invest something of yourself in this piece ~ we know there's a lot of 'self' there, lol!

Don't let us down, pushav! In two posts or less, get this piece to the point where it is something you are proud of...we know you can do it...

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08-24-2005, 04:17 AM   #17
jmBoekestein
likes a flower =)...

portfolio
Jan Mark Boekestein
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to jmBoekestein Send a message via AIM to jmBoekestein Send a message via MSN to jmBoekestein
Hey nice idea Rebecca!

Always something interesting in these subjective topics!

I did some colour experiments a while back. They were meant to do something to the viewer without literally representing a recognisable shape, and I think people just see their own things in them. But you tell me ofcourse .

I called this one the Styxx.

modelling practice #1

Old 08-24-2005, 04:24 AM   #18
pushav
People's Champ!

portfolio
Verdell Jones
I'm a hustla homie.
USA

I am really bad at painting without lineart. I guess I will need the lines to helpme. Today was a terrible art day for me. I am lacking in the inspiration department right now.
I am bad at evoking responses or emotions in my art work. This is probably why I lean towards narrative art themes.

I am falling off.
lol not motivated right now. Probably I can do something good around Labor Day.

Man I suck at this type of art.
MY DEVIANT ART- click here

Old 08-24-2005, 01:08 PM   #19
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

jmBoekestein,

Despite my emphasis on VALUE in other threads, I am just a huge fan of color, and I love to do color experiments as well just for their own sake, lol! Tho it's also not kosher, I am a huge fan of blurring and abstract digital color field stuff a la Mark Rothko, but it's a bit easy for me to just wander off somewhere doing these experiments and never really get anywhere, lol! I am going to try to develop some of the stuff I posted here, as most of it is years old and needs a digital dusting ~ lol, we'll see what happens! Cool to see your stuff, post more!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 08-24-2005 at 03:50 PM.

Old 08-24-2005, 02:16 PM   #20
Gunilla
got guts

portfolio
Gunilla Elam
illustrator/animator
Stockholm, Sweden

Great idea with a thread like this!

rebbecak - some really nice paintings. I especially like the first one, with the back - lovely colors!

Shaun - Now, that's really impressive! How long did it take for you to complete it?

pushav - cute. lovely colors. Keep going and it will be great

J-M - nice colors, looks a bit like velvet to me. And there is a figure in the middle ... cool.

So, this is my contribution for evocative landscape - a still from my ongoing inbody animation project. Made with 3Dmax/mental ray. Perhaps it's a bit off topic but at least it got me started in posting here...

Rebeccak - I really like this new section of CGtalk - very inspirational. Hope to get some time to join in the workshops later. Thanks for your efforts

WIP: Anatomy

Demoreel

Old 08-24-2005, 02:22 PM   #21
stipick_S
Veteran

Shaun Stipick
Motion Graphics Slave
Philadelphia, USA

Send a message via AIM to stipick_S
Hey Pushav!

Here is a way to get inspiration. Make this painting an experiment. Go in with a totaly different approach. Build everything up with masses then ad details with no (or very little) linework. Consider it an adventure...

Try steps like these:
1)start with a dead colour (50% gray tonal value) can be brown,sienna, burnt umber, or gray, gray blue (for a cooler pallete), gray gerren, gray red...you get the idea.
2)using a 80% gray tonal value create an envelope with several sub envelopes, to establish basic form and structure. You can use minimal line here!
3) build up all your dark areas by moving about the painting and massing in your darkest areas to create form.
4)then add your lighter medium grays and large light areas. blend where you need too...
5)go ahead and move about the painting some more (do not concentrate in one area) and establsih medium details...rework any areas that have become too muddy.
6)checking your lights and darks, tighten your masses some more....
7) go ahead and add details.
8)fiished!!!

I think you should give this method a try. find inspiration in the process and use your allready posted landscape as reference....
hope this helps.....

shaun

p.s. i will post a pdf on my website and show you how a famous contemporary realist (david a leffel) uses this approach with great success. give me about 1 hour.

Last edited by rebeccak : 08-24-2005 at 02:59 PM.

Old 08-24-2005, 02:22 PM   #22
stipick_S
Veteran

Shaun Stipick
Motion Graphics Slave
Philadelphia, USA

gunilla: 7 working days (about 8-10 hours a day).

when the painting is big I can move around pretty fast, when things get samll is when I have lots of trouble and it takes me way too long. a simialr painting only... say 12"x24" would take me weeks and weeks!

shaun

Old 08-24-2005, 02:24 PM   #23
Arctis
~ The Voyager ~

portfolio
Pierre Droal
Illustrator, visual artist
Paris, France

Hi,
I've been watching your threads, and it's very useful. So here's my little participation.
I did it a while ago, it's an experimentation that must have taken me a couple of hours, maybe more ; it's fully digital, and my process was : 1/ B&W lineart alone, using ref only for the positions 2/ experimenting some colors.

Later,

Pierre.

Old 08-24-2005, 02:29 PM   #24
stipick_S
Veteran

Shaun Stipick
Motion Graphics Slave
Philadelphia, USA

arctis:
great emotion! they feel so trapped!
any particular story behind this?

Old 08-24-2005, 02:46 PM   #25
Arctis
~ The Voyager ~

portfolio
Pierre Droal
Paris, France

Wink

Thanx, stipick, your mural painting is very nice : post more !

There's a whole story behing, supposed to become a comic one day ... on this particular scene, i wanted to express the transe of a dancing woman. It's still unfinished, that's why there's so much empty space at the top left (2 positions are missing...)

Old 08-24-2005, 03:06 PM   #26
Segvoia
Un Brio Escondido

portfolio
S. C. Versillee
Cleveland, USA

Freedom As Illusion

Title: "Freedom As Illusion"
Medium: Oil on Masonite
Time Completed: 8 hours

I started this as an anatomy study, I didn't intend for it to be a finished piece, let alone an angel, but somewhere in the process I decided to add wings. People who've viewed the painting have had a variety of assumptions and interpretations of it despite the descriptive title - from a metaphor about slavery to a depiction of a fallen angel.

--EDIT TO ADD SECOND IMAGE--

Title: "Phoolan Devi: Bandit Queen"
Medium: Oil on Masonite
Time Completed: 10 hours?

Phoolan was known as a infamous bandit, but she was actually a freedom fighter and defender of raped and abused women and the poor in India. She was murdered in 2001 after many previous assasination attempts. I painted this as part of an ongoing project, a collection of biographies of female warriors.

Last edited by Segvoia : 08-24-2005 at 03:47 PM.

Old 08-24-2005, 03:06 PM   #27
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

Gunilla,

Thanks! Happy to see your post! This is looking really beautiful so far...I love medical illustration ~ so it would be great if you could post a link to your final project here! Are you doing the animation for personal or professional purposes? Either way, should turn out very cool! Look forward to your participation in the OFDWs!

Also, I love the idea of the interior of the body as a 'landscape'. This is perfect!

Shaun,

Great advice!

Arctis,

Great, thank you for joining us! I really like this piece so far, and it will be cool to see the finished piece! Bear in mind that we are housed within WIP here, so you are free to post your progress as you go! I think this piece could be pushed a lot further and could come out just looking really cool! Looking forward to your updates.

Great to see new work here!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 08-24-2005 at 03:25 PM.

Old 08-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #28
Rebeccak
Anatomy Forum Leader

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Rebecca Kimmel
Founder + Owner
Los Angeles, USA

Talking

Segvoia,

Ah, finally saw your post! Cool work! I think you might also be interested in some of the fantastic work that has been posted here:

2D Concept Artists - TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL

Check it out when you get the chance!

EDIT: Ooh, I like the second piece even better! It's great to see traditional work here!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 08-24-2005 at 04:01 PM.

Old 08-24-2005, 03:54 PM   #29
Segvoia
Un Brio Escondido

portfolio
S. C. Versillee
Cleveland, USA

rebeccak,
I just saw your comment. Thank you, will definately check it out.

Arctis, I've seen your work over at CA, you have incredible depth

Old 08-24-2005, 03:55 PM   #30
Arctis
~ The Voyager ~

portfolio
Pierre Droal
Paris, France

another one for the road ; a comic's cover project : the empty space on the left is suppose to receive names of the authors, name of publisher etc...
It's full digital too, and I spent probably 3/4 days on it. No ref used for this one. I'm ok to post a process... if I find one !

Segvoia : thanx ! Your work is very good looking, I'd really like to see it bigger. Congrats for the choice of your subject about female warriors : at last an artist that feel concerned by the social problems of his time, and not only painting for entertainement !

Last edited by Arctis : 08-24-2005 at 04:00 PM.

Thread Closed share thread