Orthographic Drawings - 2D TRADITIONAL / DIGITAL Drawings For 3D Modeling

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2005   #16
Hi

Here's my reworking of the drawings - in the end I did make the legs a bit longer
Her head was giving me problems, but I've already modelled this bit from photos so I'll get going on her body I think, and maybe redo it later.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Amy

Our graduation film

Our website

Old 08 August 2005   #17
Talking

amy_517,

Oh, wow, just saw this! I think this cleaned up drawing looks much, much better, and the new picture from above the arms is just great! Great job on cleaning up the linework ~ the face, particularly from the front view, is just miles better. From the side view, I think the ear could be a bit smaller and lowered fractionally on the head ~ it will align with the brow and the base of the nose, so keep that in mind in terms of guidelines for its placement.

One thing I notice is that the profile of her face is a bit mature ~ I would soften her features, perhaps giving her a bit more of a blunt nose and rounder features.

Great job, and I hope to see your finished model as well!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2005   #18
Thank you Rebecca

Her face matches the ref pics exactly, but now I'm looking at her in the flesh I agree it's totally wrong around the profile. Weird how photos do that sometimes.

I've started the modelling and if I'm feeling brave enough I'll soon start a thread in the 3D WIP. Watch my sig for details

Thanks for your help

Amy

Our graduation film

Our website

Old 08 August 2005   #19
Hi Amy
Don't know what your budget is but I think you would like an artist called Patrick Woodroffe. One of his books is called "Hallellujah Anyway" Here is one of the pictures in it, "The Mystery of Flight".
LINK TO "THE MYSTERY OF FLIGHT"

(Book is available at Alibris.com for 12.20, used)
Link to some of his other books

Reminded me of yours. He has a grat imagination and uses children alot in his creations. Great stuff. He is pre-3D but on the verge of it just like you. He uses photos and combines them with real objects and also his illustrations and paintings. Some real magic happening in his stuff especially considering it is pre computer. Don't know much about 3D myself but think you will be able to learn alot from this guy if you buy the book I mentioned. It's great I haven't picked it up in a few years I had forgotten how beautiful his stuff is. And wow he never lost that child like imagination that seems to fade in most of us. He sees magic in everything just like children do. If you check his stuff out I am sure you will love it and learn alot from it.
Take Care
Glenn

Old 08 August 2005   #20
My First Attempt at drawing a child

Hey Rebecca,

Here is one of my drawings for a child drawing that I working on. I always draw adults but I want to give drawing a child a try...in this drawing, I left out the face because I wanted the body to have attention. Every time I attempt a kid drawing, the proportions end up adult....irritating.

I will add the head sketch here as well of this kid (i did not add hair for that can be decided in a different sketch). I have not drawn in a while so I am getting into the foray again. Any advice or corrections would be very helpful since this kid will become a 3D model...

I have been using an Artist's Model as assistance...too bad they do not have something like that for kids.

Old 08 August 2005   #21
Talking

HaloAnimator,

Thanks for posting this! Indeed, this is the right spot for it.

I will try to jimmy up a review soon...in the meantime, enjoy some healthy snacks, like our new thread, Evocative Figure / Landscape - ANY MEDIUM, which is already enjoying some great posts!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2005   #22
i saw that new thread, awesome stuff....next to character modeling, I also love making environments

Old 08 August 2005   #23
Talking

HaloAnimator,

Had the chance to review the side view of the head so far...hope this helps!

Laterally, the ear should fall in about the middle of the head, and should align with the brow and base of the nose. Children as a rule have rounder features, so it's best to just try to exaggerate the roundness to the point of ridiculousness til things start to look about right. Think CIRCLES. It's easy to forget how large the back of the skull is, so I would recommend giving more mass to the head in the back.

I would also just recommend googling pictures of children and using photo reference to check your proportions and to study anatomical details, like the ear. Resources abound, so I would just start a file for things like ears, eyes, etc. on your computer. These will come in handy!

~These are just suggestions. Let me know what you think!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2005   #24
These are very good suggestions. there is not much to change except what you suggested. The back of the head will be fixed later on...I just ran out of space when I was making this head...hopefully the front of the head will be a litle more forgiving...

I will redraw the side profile and extend the back

Last edited by NeptuneImaging : 08 August 2005 at 09:24 PM.

Old 08 August 2005   #25
here are some updates...

Old 08 August 2005   #26
Talking

HaloAnimator,

The update looks good ~ particularly the back of the head and the facial features. However, I still think that you need to look at references for ears ~ if necessary, trace one to get a good sense of what should go on there.

Also, would you mind scaling your images down a bit? They are a bit largish, and I usually ask folks to keep their posted work to a 600 pixel width x proportional pixel length. Thanks!
It's no biggie, I'm just a stickler about having to scroll.

As for the body, I'll try getting to that soon. Look at Amy_517's new drawing ~ tho she has drawn a girl, the proportions are very similar to your drawing of a boy.

Thanks for posting this! Google some ears, and post a (600 pix. width) drawing of the head with a more articulated ear. I still think you could add a bit more mass to the top of the head. Also, the angle from the nose to the lips to the chin is usually more slanted ~ the nose being the furthest away from the face, the lips being closer to the face, the chin even closer ~ forming a 15~30 degree angle. Right now, these features are more or less in a straight line, which is unusual.

As for the front view, I think that the child needs more forehead ~ the eyes typically fall in the MIDDLE of the face ~ tho this is unintuitive, it is so. Right now, the eyes are in the upper 1/3 of the face.

Try adding more to the top of the head so that the eyes are really in the middle (lenghtwise). I'll try to have your review soon.

In the meantime, draw ears from several different positions ~ try JUST drawing ears, as you will need this practice if you are to model the ear correctly. You will have to understand the ear eventually, and you don't want to wait to figure it out when you are actually modeling your character.

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 08 August 2005 at 01:27 AM.

Old 08 August 2005   #27
all right, that is cool... the ears are merely placeholders for the 3D version, which I already have a stock copy of them. I took the top of the head one row down so her forehead wasn;t so big...maybe I should put it back the way it was. Thank god for grid paper...

next time I will scale the pic down...

Old 08 August 2005   #28
Talking

HaloAnimator,

Lol, good luck! It's tough to get facial proportions right...one thing I would suggest doing to get better at it is to take photographs of people from Google or from magazines or whatever and TRACE them ~ you will learn a lot that way, I guarantee it!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2005   #29
I will def look into it...I also used Loomis' book to draw heads and stuff, could I just bring the forehead forward...?

Old 08 August 2005   #30
Talking

HaloAnimator,

I think bringing the forehead forward will help, but it is still short. Take a look at a photograph of a person from a dead~on side view. Now, granted, people are nothing if not variable, but your average person's eyes fall in the middle of the face, and yours are still a bit high ~ but it totally depends on the look you are after. And, these are just suggestions.

Bring the forehead forward, however, will do nothing to affect the line of the nose~mouth~chin ~ I would still recommend angling them back. But, it's totally up to you.

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread