Children's Book Illustrations - 2D / 3D TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2005   #61
Talking

Holy Crap! I fold!

My mini-light saber is useless against the mighty Croatian!!!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #62
Theses are pretty old. I have some others from the series, but the project pretty much stopped.
Work and life and kids and what not.

Mostly 3D and some PS tweaks. I would love to get them even more illustrative, now that my technical skills have progressed.
I have a soft spot for these. I'll get back to them eventually.
SECRET AGENT
B-Movie

Old 07 July 2005   #63
Talking

KOryH,

WOW! These are awesome!!! Definitely post more of your work on this forum!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #64
Talking

Guys, unfortunately because I'm just flat out of time, the judging for the CRANKIEST OLD MAN OR WOMAN IN THE WORLD!!! Competition will have to wait until after August 5th when I get back from SIGGRAPH. But thanks to all of you talented artists who submitted fantastic work for the competition and generally made this thread a really lively place to be! Looking forward to seeing the results of the voting when I get back!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #65
I recentely stumbled over this thread and thought I ll share one of mine - I made it for a fairy tale book which will be released at the end of the year I think. Done in Open Canvas with a few tweak in PS- this was also my very first try on doing a children book illustration

Last edited by lhiondaig : 08 August 2005 at 03:50 PM.

Old 08 August 2005   #66
Wink

so Who is the winner of the Challenge? and what does the winner get? a lap dance from you know who?

Solomon W. Jagwe
Soreel GraFX
http://www.sowl.com

Old 08 August 2005   #67
Oh my goodness! I can't believe I went on vacation when this cropped up...

This is my "thing"...

Great entries although some of the better illustrations aren't geared towards children. Maybe teenagers...

The ape with the girl is my favorite although I prefer a bit of a wilder color scheme for a childrens book series... great nonetheless...

anyway can someone please tell me if there will be more????

Old 08 August 2005   #68
Solomon & birdybear - I believe rebeccak is off enjoying the fun at SIGGRAPH so you still have time to post something if you'd like. Her last post said she wouldn't be back until after Aug 5th.

And even then, I'm sure that we'd all love to see more fantastic illustrations. Post em if you got em!

Old 08 August 2005   #69
well, i made this illustration in memory of a german fairy tail named "Frau Holle" (sorry, i wasnt able to find out wether there is an english translation oder specific name) by the Grim brothers. It is a very old tale, so it is not quite so polished as the childrens storys from today, it is scary and full of hidden morals (well, i always thought she is scary).

i hope you like it.

i used schminke aquarell colours and white acryl for this one. the approximate time spent on it is round about 4 hours and 1 hour of colour adjustment in photoshop because the scanner didn`t get the colours right at first.

Last edited by Llynna : 08 August 2005 at 09:34 AM.

Old 08 August 2005   #70
Originally Posted by Llynna: well, i made this illustration in memory of a german fairy tail named "Frau Holle" (sorry, i wasnt able to find out wether there is an english translation oder specific name) by the Grim brothers.

I believe that in English, the Grimm brother's fairy tale is usually titled "Mother Holle".
Interesting illustration!

t

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it.
Boldness has genius, power and magic in it."
- Goethe

Old 08 August 2005   #71
@tatiana: ah thank you, you are right it is mother holle! at first try i found none of the grim brothers tales in english.

if anyone is interested in reading the tale

Mother Holle

Old 08 August 2005   #72
Talking

hagarun,

What charming work!

Solomon,

You mean that you are offering lapdances? How curious!

birdybear,

We'll definitely have more competitions. I hope you can participate!!

Llynna,

What a cool illustration! It needs some refining, particularly around the arms, but the concept and technique is really cool! Keep up the good work!

Great stuff, guys!!! Keep it up!!!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2005   #73
thank you rebecca for your reply. i am really unhappy about the arms too, but since its not digital..... and i only had limited time, because i can only do traditional work at my parents.... just don't try acryl or so in a 12 m≤ student flat *gg*.

Old 08 August 2005   #74
Talking

Llynna,

Wow, I had not even realized that the work was not digital! Kudos for getting acrylics to work for, and not against you!! Acrylics are a notoriously difficult medium with which to work, and space limitations can indeed make the process that much harder!! I experienced a lot of frustration with traditional painting - some successes, many more failures - until I discovered the joy of Photoshop, a Wacom pen, and that fabulous shortcut, Ctrl + Z / Undo. However, I think I am much the better for having gone through the traditional route and experienced all of those failures along the way - it makes digital work that much easier and more rewarding. Too often, I think people jump into digital work with the expectation that the tools will do the work for them. This is definitely not the case!!! I have slaved away with charcoal, acrylics, oils, oil pastels, etc., and it all equates to good experience.

Hope to see more of your work!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2005   #75
Talking VOTE! for THE CRANKIEST OLD MAN OR OLD WOMAN IN THE WORLD CHALLENGE! WINNER!

Please vote for:

• THE CRANKIEST OLD MAN OR OLD WOMAN IN THE WORLD CHALLENGE! Winner!
  • You have one week to vote!!!
The Contenders:

9 YeeWu
19 Kirt
21 paperclip
26 Her0d
29 DoInferno
31 vegabros
34 Mirwen
44 Ilikesoup
51 ShadowWolf
57 nebezial

To vote, just Reply to this Topic and copy and paste who YOU think the winner should be! You have one week! VOTE!!!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 08 August 2005 at 03:51 PM.

Thread Closed share thread