Children's Book Illustrations - 2D / 3D TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2005   #31

Here's my final entry! I didn't think this was possible Rebeccak (I kept telling her I didn't have time)! But I did this one in like 5 hours. I used Corel Painter IX trial.

This is a painting of a cranky old man and he hates it when people (especially kids) look at him!

- Leo

Lastest works:
The Retired Pirate, "What are you looking at?!"

Old 07 July 2005   #32
I accidentally posted twice... my internet connection has been acting up... you can delete this post if you want.

- Leo

Lastest works:
The Retired Pirate, "What are you looking at?!"

Last edited by vegabros : 07 July 2005 at 04:24 AM.

Old 07 July 2005   #33
Talking

vegabros!

I am cackling incessantly as I write this ~ Rockin' Piece!!! Ah...nothing like good humor on an early Sunday morn to waken the senses! Thanks a bunch for posting this! See ~ my diabolical plan is working, and NONE OF YOU WILL BE SPENDING TIME WITH YOUR FAMILIES!!! HA HA HA!!!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #34
My initial character sketch and coposition sketch. He is the ONE he is the Robot slayer!

Kirt:
sweet work

Her0d: ha ha seems like an old punk grandpa

Last edited by Mirwen : 07 July 2005 at 01:25 PM.

Old 07 July 2005   #35
Talking

Ok, here is a sneak preview of my old woman...her main beef is that she's got boobages down to her ankles, a nuisance for any old lady who just wants to take a walk without tripping, for crying out loud!

Alrighty, be gentle...

Enjoy! I think
~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 07 July 2005 at 03:28 PM.

Old 07 July 2005   #36
A woman that thinks her heart is under her left breast...well i guess she would stab herself on her knee if she wants to commit suicide.

Old 07 July 2005   #37
Talking

ha! ha! ha! ha! ha!

Good point...

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #38
Kirt's so gonna win this, my humble opinion

what an annoying looking bastard he drew,hehe

yours is pretty cool too, vegabros

Old 07 July 2005   #39
Talking

Yeah, Kirt's entry still gives me a chuckle, even after multiple views! Ah, the magic of cheese...mmm...cheese...

BTW, feel free to post WIP, it's pretty darn entertaining that way...

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #40
Yeah, great job, Kirt! I think that one's going to be pretty tough to top! :-)

Looks like I got here too late: I was all set to post some childrens' work I'd done, but now everyone has moved on to cranky old men, and my cute childrens pieces are no longer relevant.
Oh, well, next time the childrens' art topic comes around, I'll be ready...!

-mike

Old 07 July 2005   #41
Talking

walrus!!!

Please post your children's book work!!! We would love to see it, even if it's in the midst of our challenge! mishmash

~Post! Post! Post!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 07 July 2005   #42
Well, okay then! Thanks for the invite!

I have two images to post, may favorite digital childrens' illo and my favorite watercolor illo. I'm especially excited about the watercolor, if only because I never thought I'd have the chance to show it on a site like this devoted to CG art. So I'll start there:

I start with a pencil sketch - or a dozen - and then scan them into Photoshop to tweak, rotate, rescale, scribble on top of, flip, and generally rework 'til I've got something that works.

Next I start throwing in color in Photoshop, usually on a lot of different layers so that I can change just one element - for example, maybe the sky - without a lot of work. Eventually I come up with a final palette, which I print out and use for reference in creating the final painting.

I trace the pencil lines onto Fabriano 300lb hot press watercolor paper and go to work from there, using the print-out as a palette guide. Many of my watercolors end up a lot more intense than this one, but I was really happy with the soft and understated feel of this piece. It was done for a contest over at the Society for Childrens Book Writers and Iluustrators site, and came in second place for a contest there on depicting any scene from a zoo, circus or carnival. It took a few weeks of sporadic work, but I couldn't telly you an exact amount. It was around 7 hours of actual painting, I'd guess. The painting size is 9x13 inches.

Okay, so the second one, this time a digital piece. Thias one was done for a Valentines Day contest for the SCBWI. It took about 3 days total, but I've broken down the hours counts below. This time I have many more details on process:

1) Again, I start with a pencil sketch or ten and bring them into Photoshop to tweak and refine. When I'm done, I print it out and trace onto a sheet of 55lb 11x14-inch Tracing Vellum. I scan that back into Photoshop at 300dpi. This whole step took about 3 hours.

2) I paint the whole thing in greyscale. ~4 hours

3) Local color: On all seperate layers, I fill in basic, solid color for every part of the picture. As they're all on different layers, I can make a lot of changes after I'm done... And I do! What you're seeing here is the final colors I ended up with, but it took a while to get there. (I'll explain a bit more on step 5.) Anyhow, this is about 3 hours of work.

4) I use my greyscale image only to come up with two new layers: One a neutral purple for just shadows, and this layer is set to Multiply. A second layer, a pale yellow, is for the hilights, and is set to Overlay. Here you're seeing both layers at the same time on a transparent background. ~2 hours.

5) Now at this point, I have local colors seperate from hilights and shadows, so I can make any changes I want to the colors of the fur, background, trees, foliage, sky, fog, or anything else, and it still could look good. #5 is an example of an entirely different color scheme I arrived at by fooling around with the Hue/Saturation settings (command-U) on all of the layers seperately. I even color-shifted the shadows layer to give the piece cooler shadows. It reads well, but wasn't warm enough for the Valentines Day theme I was doing, but it's literally a matter or 5-10 minutes to get a drastically different - and sometimes improved! - color scheme for a painting in progress.

6) Once I'm happy with the colors - the warm version - I flatten it all into just a few layers - foreground, middle-ground, and back - and really start painting in the detail. This capture was taken when it was about half done, but the whole process is where the love really comes in. ~8 hours.

And here we have the final piece:

Anyhow, if you want to see more finished work, you can check it out on my web site's Childrens Art page. Thanks for letting me share all of this, Rebecca!

-mike

Last edited by walrus : 07 July 2005 at 04:27 AM.

Old 07 July 2005   #43
well i see people are sending prewiews...well im allmost over but here my prewiew of granny...but beware, GRANNY KNOWS KUNG FU!

Last edited by nebezial : 07 July 2005 at 07:49 PM.

Old 07 July 2005   #44

Well, here's mine. I know I could make this much more presentable, but I kind of like the rough look. Reminds me of a block print.

Here are a couple of steps I took -- his body is sketched out in squares and rectangles because I wanted to focus more than usual on perspective and the volume of the old man's body. There's a background layer (green), the outline layer (blue) and the coloring layer is between the other two. I added the cat at the end rubbing against his leg -- cats seem drawn to the one person in the room who either hates cats or is allergic to them.

Any and all crits are welcome.

walrus -- Those are amazing! The bears are my new wallpaper.

Old 07 July 2005   #45
amazing work guys!

Thread Closed share thread