Torsos - Post Your Torso Studies - 2D / 3D TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2005
Nobody else seems to be posting 3D torsos, so I hope I'm not misunderstanding the point of this thread.

Anyways, this is my Ultimate Fighter character from the WIP:3D Stills section, I just wanted to post some close-ups of his torso for c&c.

He's modelled in Maya 6.0 from basic polygon shapes. The torso is made from two cylinders and two spheres (for his chest muscles). This is about two months of modeling work just pushing and pulling points and using the MJPolyTools plug-in for Maya (which is absolutely indispensible IMO for poly modeling).

Here's the low-res cage, this is the mode that I work in:

The wireframe with one level of poly smooth:

And the render with raytraced shadows:

08 August 2005
Back views:

Low-res cage:

1 level of poly smooth:

The render:

He's intended to be about 5 feet 5 inches tall and about 300 pounds of muscle, so please keep that in mind when critiquing his proportions.

08 August 2005
Talking

Barada73,

Schweeet! Thanks for posting this!

You're also free to post here: 3D DIGITAL ARTISTS ~ either place works for me

Good to see your work!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

08 August 2005
Originally Posted by rebeccak: Barada73,

Schweeet! Thanks for posting this!

You're also free to post here: 3D DIGITAL ARTISTS ~ either place works for me

Good to see your work!

~Rebeccak

Thanks! I had originally planned to post these images in the 3D Digital Artists thread; but since the opening post called for "Amazing 3D Artists" I thought that would be a little presumptuous of me considering that this is my first attempt at a 3D human body.

I'll come up with some new renders to post over there. Thanks.

08 August 2005
Torso Studies

Here are some Torso studies from yesterday ... I am just started to study all
these Anatomy Stuff in Deep, try to draw 3h a Day min. ... works well for now

Its a long way ... here is something from the start

09 September 2005
Hi,
here is my older work (summer 2004 I guess) ... everyone knows who he is, huh
Nothing special. I want to do more drawings of gollum in future, because I think heīs really good character to capture, especially the face and face expressions ... I look forward to moment when I will have skills to sculpt him from clay but this wonīt be soon ...

pencil B
time: I donīt remember, many hours -> too slowly
this image is larger in real and looks better, I have a cheap scanner

thanks for looking

09 September 2005
Talking

raptor|3D,

I rather like this drawing of Gollum, as I think you've really captured a bit of his 'life' and certainly his emotional state very well! It has almost the quality of a print ~ do you like / are you interested in printmaking at all? I can imagine that you might do very well with inks and the like, or a simulation of such digitally. It may be something worth looking into.

I particularly like the linework around his inner right arm ~ this is quite a beautiful, confident line and quite economically descriptive. This is something of the holy grail in Drawing ~ how to describe something with economy, grace, and power...I think this line is evidence of that kind of drawing ability.

I'd love to see more of your work ~ please post some when you get the chance!

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Thank you, Rebecca!
I really appreciate your comments ... itīs great for me to have such feedback from such amazing artist as you are.
wow - I didnīt know that about the linework around his inner right arm ... thanks ... your comment was also very informative, now I know how to try to draw linework

I have never done any printmaking yet, but I am interested now - sounds interesting, I donīt know about this technique at all. I will have to ask my teacher at drawing course and I could try it after I finish my first oil painting (landscape).
I would also be extremely thankful if you would give me some description of what exactly is this technique about, where to start, what to use ... only small description - not tutorial ... but only in case you have time for it. I think it would be helpful for others too. Thank you in advance.

>> I'd love to see more of your work ~ please post some when you get the chance! <<
Thanks, you bet . These forums are great, Iīm really glad to have you here When Iīll do any print and it will be good, I will post it ...

have a nice day

-excuse my english -

09 September 2005
Talking

raptor|3D,

Thanks so much, your comments are really kind! I'm happy to be of any help that I can.

With respect to printmaking, it is a rather old, involved craft which involves specialized training and equipment ~ I have taken a few classes, but I no longer have access to the rather large, messy, industrial equipment which it requires. But I will be happy to later try to find some really good examples of printmaking work which can inspire.

One artist who is a great printmaker is the artist Kathe Kollwitz. You can just google her name to find some really great images. Her art falls under the categorization of German Expressionist.

Thanks for your interest in my work! You can see my portfolio on my website: www.rebeccakimmel.com. Hope you will enjoy it!

Great to see your work! And your English is perfect.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Study in Photoshop CS + Intuos3 Tablet, 30-40 Min.

Last edited by shyamshriram : 09 September 2005 at 08:46 AM.

09 September 2005
Shaym, that guy is very very sexy! Nice drawing, very cool pose!

09 September 2005
Thanx Fooxoo...nice to see u here

09 September 2005
to Rebecca:

>> Thanks for your interest in my work! You can see my portfolio on my website: www.rebeccakimmel.com. Hope you will enjoy it! <<

Wow, your portfolio is really amazing. It inspires me. You have really high-end drawing skills (thatīs no wonder you moderate this subforum). I wonder what pencil did you use.
I also like your abstract (if I can say abstract) pictures you did in 3D. These are very nice.

I would like to know if you do also sculpting. I think with your talent and skills, knowledge of anatomy ... hmmmm I can imagine what would you create with a piece of clay

Thanks for inspiration.

cheers

09 September 2005
Talking

shyam,

I just discovered your drawing here, and it is really beautiful! Thank you for posting it, it is great to see more of your work!

raptor|3D,

Thanks so much for your comments, they are greatly appreciated! As to your question about pencils, I typically use a 6B General's Charcoal pencil (they're orange coated and about 90 cents each at any art store) ~ I have a picture here which was part of the Lesson 003 Opposing Curves tutorial:

I usually sharpen the pencils with a sharp exacto knife, and then sand the sides to get a sharp point. You usually need a bunch of these pencils as they can break while sharpening.

I would love to do sculpture one day...both real and in Z~Brush. I've played with Z~Brush a bit, but not too seriously. It is oodles of fun, though. Thanks for the encouragement!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Thanx !

Rebeccak :: THANX....will post MORE !

Thread Closed share thread