Hands - Post Your Hand Studies - 2D / 3D TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2005
Hiya garrdog...I think I see something amiss. The ring finger of the baby hand...gets to wide in the back where it connects to the hand mass. The lines of the fingers dont follow the same lines as in the photo. The first two extend back far enough, but that one for the ring finger stops too short, and thus that finger looks too fat and stubby.

Hopefully that helps

10 October 2005
Ah, your absolutely right. I can really see it now and can't believe I didn't spot that before! That finger is WAY too fat and big. I'll fix it for sure. Thanks.

10 October 2005
I fixed the baby's finger proportions. However, I would like to hear if there is anything else amiss. I was told that the hands look a bit awkward, but with practice I will overcome that. I definitely plan to practice, but I would love for someone to help me see what is still awkward!

10 October 2005
Talking

gardogg,

Gah! ROFL, I had started on a review of the child's hand, and, having early onset dementia as I do, forgot to finish it. I'm a bit of a ditz. Will try to do that today / tomorrow.

Have you heard of the book "Drawing Dynamic Hands" by Burne Hogarth? Did I mention that already?

It's a great book which sort of demystified hands by breaking them down structurally. I would HIGHLY recommend buying / checking out that as well as Hogarth's other books, including Dynamic Anatomy and Dynamic Figure Drawing. I don't think that people should wind up drawing like Hogarth, but I do think his work is instrumental in anyone's art education with respect to figurative art.

How're them bone studies coming?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Talking

gardogg,

Unfortunately, I don't have enough time now to do a full drawover for you, but what I think you should really look at and focus on in drawings of fingers is the simplified angles and planes that comprise their major masses.

What do I mean by this? Well, the fingers are more or less faceted blocks that are hinged together, covered by a layer of fat which disguises this structure. These blocks are of course the bones, and it is the artist's job to see past the fat to the underlying bone structure, and reconstruct on the page this image, or idea, of what the structure is. By relying solely on what you see, and being limited to 2 dimensions, you will not be able to replicate what you see in the photograph very easily without some idea or archetype in mind of what you are drawing.

A great exercise is to take a bunch of boxes, and stack them up, and tilt and turn them, until you have something of a boxy still life. Then, sketch these boxes in perspective ~ these need not be elaborate. This may seem basic, but it is fundamental to drawing anything in perspective. You can basically break any human form down into simpler geometric forms, and fingers are basically elongated boxes strung together on hinges.

Try thinking of the fingers in this way, and do a separate, rather fast sketch on paper of the child's hand / fingers. Describe the fingers just in terms of simple boxes.

Then go back to your drawing, and reevaluate it. I think you might find that it looks different to you after doing a simplified sketch.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Here's my first hand-only sketch ever:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...nkly-Hand-D.jpg

Assistance please? *chuckles* I'm totally lost with the anatomy of the hand; the clockwork of shading and drawing in all its entirety. Not to mention, the thumb looks so weird! O;

Mommy, am I hopeless? D:,

Medium: 2H Pencil
Execution Time: Approx. 15 minutes.

10 October 2005
Talking

Khymeira,

Somehow missed seeing your post today. Welcome to the forum! I don't think you have a bad start here at all. What is your art training and bkgrd? This would help me understand where you're at...have you ever studied anatomy before?

I agree the thumb is a bit thin / the bone structure and wrinkles are a little off, but for a 15 minute first~time drawing, I'd say this is pretty darn good!

What other types of art do you do?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Wow, thank you for those tips. I'm looking forward to studying the hands some more!

10 October 2005
Thank you, thank you!

I don't have any art training. D:,
My background? Lots of freelance for free time. *chuckles*
I've only now started looking to realism, so I've never even brushed the surface of anatomy. I made this hand quite a while back, so I didn't even think about bone structure. XO

The type of art that I did prior to was really stylized cartooning, anime and whatever it was that I did in Kindergarten. X)

Though, I did take a long gander at your Gesture, and Opposing curves workshop. They really helped, a lot. I was like, "Where have you been all my life!".

I talk too much. X)

10 October 2005
Talking

Khymeira,

ROFL, you're welcome! Hope you will be posting more work here and on other threads. I'm glad you liked the Opposing Curves Anatomy Review! Feel free to join us in the Open Figure Drawing Workshops and other bits we've got going on here. We're currently on OFDW 005.

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
my hand... :)

well, ive done this study only once, my aim was to improve a bit with the shading and to make up a technique of digital drawing with the mouse...

drawn in paint shop pro 7

i wish i had internet at home, so that i could read all these tutorials here without being disturbed...

Last edited by Drake_Stormrage : 10 October 2005 at 02:05 PM.

10 October 2005
Talking

Drake_Stormrage,

Hey there, if you plan on doing any serious digital painting, I would highly recommend investing in a Wacom tablet if you can. Painting with a mouse is REALLY hard, and most folks liken it to painting with a 'brick'. I think it's ok for a bit of experimentation, but if you can get your hands on a Wacom, you'll be in good shape.

Good to see your work here ~ I think the hand is a bit wide. You could fix this easily by Transforming the whole hand horizontally.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Rebeccak - firstly thx for the review of the hand ; its wide because i havent held it straightly, but in an angle with fingers facing away from me (if they were straightened of course) in order to make a 'more interesting' gesture , secondly i have managed to get a wacom tablet by now - graphire2, BUT its only borrowed from school (not really without breaking the school rules, but nobody knows except for my IT teacher :B). Fact is that i really enjoy the work with it, and also that im in extreme money shortage so its very difficult for me to buy one... I think the most reasonable thing for me would be the graphire3 classic, but its in A6 format and even this model costs freakin 150$ in my country... When i'd consider buying the intuous (whatever model...) it would mean either that or a new comp. And in addition i simply cant use my current comp for some serious CG b/c one one hand i have limited disk capacity, on he other there is the slowness of the CPU which causes e.g. the smudging tool in Photoshop to take bloody ages to complete a single stroke... (766@950 MHz Celeron3 w/ 66 MHz FSB, 384MB SD RAM, GeForce 2MX 32MB...) The theoretical maximum budget for a new PC (this means this PC is still only in my dreams) would be round 700$

Last edited by Drake_Stormrage : 10 October 2005 at 12:00 PM.

10 October 2005
Talking

Drake_Stormrage,

Ah, then I think you are an excellent contender for use of the uber~cheap and super fantastic pencil and paper technique!

Seriously, I think it's better to start out learning Traditional methods anyway ~ you will be better trained as an artist, in my opinion, if you start out using good old fashioned Traditional Art Materials such as pen, pencil, paper, paint, etc. Why not just buy a cheapie sketchbook and some drawing pencils, sharpener, and eraser, and practice drawing the good old~fashioned way? I really think it's better! ~Particularly when you are starting out.

What do you think?

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

10 October 2005
Red face

Rebeccak, hehe, why didnt i think of you saying this? Well, i have been going to art
school for 8 years (from my sixth year on), so im not that kind of a noob in the traditional
methods i even had enough time to forget some things about my shading technique ^^, as for the digital drawing, i enjoy the lack of the messyness that is present in traditional art

Thread Closed share thread