Proportions - Human and Animal

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2006   #16

Figure Drawing, Artistic Anatomy, Perspective and more...

Last edited by Rebeccak : 07 July 2006 at 05:33 PM.

Old 07 July 2006   #17
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Anurizm,

See post #2 in this thread ~ it has many useful links. Also, there are basically no magic formulas for memorizing proportions ~ after all, the purpose of knowing proportions is so that artists can use them in their work. I really recommend using the Hogarth books to their best advantage ~ a good exercise that helped me to learn facial and body proportions was to trace many of Hogarth's images, as well as drawings by Old Masters. I recommend this as an exercise which helps to put the feeling of proportions into one's hand. Trust me, unless you are incredibly analytical and mathematically inclined, which most artists are not (there are of course exceptions), you will not be thinking of ratios and numbers as you try to draw a hand.

Use the resources provided in this thread as well as the resources which you already have to their best advantage. Try tracing images to imprint standard proportions into your hand and memory.

Good luck!

~Rebeccak

Getting proportions right is something I struggle with, also. I appreciate the tracing suggestion. Does anyone have any other suggestions of exercises I can do without access to a live model to help me in this area? Thank you in advance for your suggestions!

My website:
www.cleverevans.com

Old 07 July 2006   #18
Smartypants,

You should definitely check out the excellent and informative threads of DoctorBone:

The Bone Zone

TUTORIALS - Bones & Muscles & Flesh - by The Bone Doctor

DoctorBone's CGPortfolio

Also, most Anatomy and Drawing Books talk about proportions in some way.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2006   #19
Hi, this is my first post
thanks for all the usefull link
anyway i just found a good link of human proportion
http://www.reybustos.com/04er/er.html

Old 08 August 2006   #20
Smile

Aar0n,

Welcome to CGTalk and to the Anatomy Forum. I hope to see your work soon!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2006   #21
Never been to this part of the forum before but WOW: awesome tips and trick everywhere. Thanks a lot

Old 08 August 2006   #22
Smile

Arty2,

It would be great to have your participation around here! As you know, I greatly admire your work.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 08 August 2006   #23
Hi Rebecca,

Besides making beautiful drawings and paintings you're always so cheerful, enthusiastic and motivating. Im really tempted to do so...

Old 08 August 2006   #24
Smile

Arty2,

Hey, thanks a lot for the kind words!

If you'd like to participate in Anatomy Forum Tutorials and Workshops, I recommend subscribing to this thread to be notified of when they come online:

Notification of New Open Figure Drawing Workshops / + TUTORIALS - SUBSCRIBE HERE!

We should be starting a new Open Figure Drawing Workshop in the next few days centered around the theme of "The Awakening of the Underground Giant". Doing themed / mini challenge for Open Figure Drawing Workshops is new for us, it's an experiment about which I am excited. You can see work from previous OFDWs here:

Links to all OFDW SPOTLIGHT Threads

Also, I always encourage advanced artists such as yourself to create Tutorials here on the Anatomy Forum. If you feel inclined to do so (which I would warmly welcome) feel free to create a Tutorial / s here:

Tutorials and Workshops (Forum)

I just ask that you title your thread, TUTORIAL - What It's About - by Your Name.

Hope to see your participation in the next OFDW!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 08 August 2006 at 03:51 PM.

Old 08 August 2006   #25
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread