Life Paintings - Post Your Best Paintings From Life! 2D TRADITIONAL / DIGITAL

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2005   #1
Arrow Life Paintings - Post Your Best Paintings From Life! 2D TRADITIONAL / DIGITAL

Guys,

This thread is for posting your best PAINTINGS FROM LIFE in any medium ~ be it traditional oil, acrylic, or watercolor, or digital Photoshop or Painter.

Please limit size to 600 pixels WIDTH x appropriate pixel LENGTH.

Thanks in advance for your posts!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 07 July 2005 at 11:23 AM.

Old 07 July 2005   #2
*Edit - Whoops, I forgot this was an anatomy forum. I posted still lives...Sorry!

Last edited by YeeWu : 07 July 2005 at 06:45 AM.

Old 09 September 2005   #3
Talking

For those of you in school, don't forget about this thread, as well! Please post your Life Paintings!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #4
hopefully i will have some paintings to provide next month have just taken on a life drawing workshop at university. i hope it is a good one.

Old 09 September 2005   #5
Well I'll kick it off with last week's subject.

Edit: Oops, I just realized the thread said 'painting'. :( This was a life drawing, so I'll pull it out if you say so

Just found the right page for it

::Flemish Classical Atelier::
Art residencies:: Intensive Drawing and Painting workshops
in Brugge, Belgium

Last edited by Queensoul : 09 September 2005 at 05:57 AM.

Old 09 September 2005   #6
Just felt like bumping the thread. These aren't new.

Did this one while sitting in on Kyle/11th Door's class. Watercolor/gouache.

These two are from when I was in school. Oil on paper.

Each one was 20 minutes with a limited palette.

Old 09 September 2005   #7
Talking

Sheff,

Oh, sweet hallelujah...finally, some life paintings! Bring them on! I love the Skip Liepke influence in your last piece ~ I don't love all of his work, but I do love his style. This piece of yours, I think, is quite beautiful.

Thanks for posting these! 'Tis very refreshing to see.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #8

One more...

Old 09 September 2005   #9
Nice work buddy, it is funny to see the one you did at my class and remembering how you did it. That might be another good tutorial.

Old 09 September 2005   #10
Thanks Kyle, I think I'll wait till I get back from Pasadena to do it though. Looking forward to you coming up here and drawing with my crew.

Old 10 October 2005   #11
From the Workshop

Am I the only one that posts here?

My brushwork

Morgan blended out my brushwork with his finger. Admittedly, I think it looks better here.

The finished piece. I probably should have just left the face alone and worked only on everything else.

The thing I learned from the workshop is that I need to do more with less and use more paint.

Old 10 October 2005   #12
Talking

Sheff,

This is a fantastic sequence ~ looks like you had a blast at the Workshop!! Thanks for posting these...I've really wanted to see more Traditional Life Painting here, but, as you've noticed, there is a limited collection, I'm afraid. Thanks for adding to it! I hope this encourages more people to post...surely they're out there!

How was Mr. Wiestling? I'd love to attend one of his Workshops ~ does he teach them every year?

Yes, it's crazy how paintings in their intermediary stages tend to look really cool...it's so hard to hold on to that, but you've ended up with a really nice result here! Have you ever taken a traditional painting further digitally? Photoshop is my saving grace these days when it comes to painting...without a garage or studio space, it's impossible for me to do oil painting, which on a lot of levels I regret.

Great to see this! I will definitely point Slux your way. I think you have a lot to offer him.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10 October 2005   #13
Weistling was cool and very funny. He critiqued everyone jokingly by telling everyone what their problem was even before anyone had put down any paint. Basically he was saying that we all have the same problems and he's seen it all before. If it's not drawing, it's value, or its color temps etc.

I have worked on traditional paintings digitally, but that's many because clients want changes. I usually don't do this for myself. I dunno, I guess it's a purity thing. Like putting bar-be-que sauce on a caterpillar roll. Separately, they may be fine, but combined they might taste better, but somehow, it just seems wrong.

I'm lucky in that we moved into a house that has a basement for my studio. I can close the door and blow all the fumes out the window with a box fan. When it's clean I'll take pictures. But looking at slides of other peoples studios, I'm jealous of those who have north light.

I think I will be switching to Walnut Oil like Morgan. I mainly use Liquin, but with this workshop I'm trying different mediums. Like with McGraw, I used Maroger for the first time. It's okay, but it dries too fast. In less than a day the paint on the palette is already tacky. It also doesn't flow as well. I tried Neo-Megilp and I like that better than the Maroger.

I'm going to do some practice pieces to get this Maroger out of the way. Who knows, I might come to like it.

For the most part, it was a good workshop, but I think I'm done with them for now. I need more mileage on my own.

Also Morgan only teaches every 3 years or something like that. I think it takes too much out of him. Margaret Sargent's class was probably the most informative. It had more to do with business than anything else.

Old 10 October 2005   #14
Talking

Sheff,

Thanks for the great info! (Though I will have to respectfully disagree with you about the Digital Painting bit). Do you sell or exhibit your work? It's interesting that Wiestling only teaches every so often...it's too bad I missed his latest run!

Cheers,

~Rebecca

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 10 October 2005   #15
Bump. These are from last Saturday.

Gouache, 20 mins or so each. Not too thrilled by any of them.

Thread Closed share thread