Life Drawings - Post Your Life Drawings! From Class or Workshops

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #61
Hi Rebecca,

Yes I did go to Art Center, ILLU 94. I also went to Associates and studied with Mark Westermoe and Alan Hunter.

I'm very flattered that you've asked me to post a tutorial. I teach part time at the Art Institute of Las Vegas and last night was my last class of the quarter. I'm currently taking a quarter off and debating about returning. I'd love to do a quick tutorial. I'll think about what I want to post. Do I just post it, or do you want to approve it?

Thanks again for the kind words. I'm glad you noticed that I was trying to lean more towards Harry rather than Steve. Although the ink wash stuff is straight from Vern.

Sheff

BTW, just call me Sheff. I would have gone with Sheff, but some other guy on this forum has the name already.

Old 09 September 2005   #62
Talking

Sheff,

Ha! I knew it. You and I probably just missed each other. I started school not too long after you graduated...so we probably had many of the same teachers. I was so fortunate to catch Carmean's very last class. Richard Keyes, my Color Theory professor with whom I remain friends, was kind enough to allow me to audit Carmean's class when I discovered it would be his last. Richard is another of those Art Center legends whose name may not be as known, but who comprise the core of the Art Center philosophy and discipline.

I am thrilled that you would like to do a tutorial! All you need to do is to create a New Thread, using the button at the top of the screen on the Anatomy Forum, once you have everything ready. I like to keep a naming convention for Tutorials so that people can find them by searching. Generally, the convention is to call it: TUTORIAL - (your tutorial title) - by Scheff (or your real name). That's it! No need for my approval, but should you have any questions, by all means PM me or send me an email at: rebeccak4@gmail.com.

The one class I took at Associates was with Steve, which had a profound impact on my understanding of figure construction. I never had Westermoe, though his work was amazing ~ he went to Stanford, didn't he? ~which I always found surprising.

Take your time with the Tutorial ~ there is no rush. When you are ready, go ahead and post it, and I will advertise it on the other Forums. People are usually quite appreciative.

Thanks for your comments, and I look forward to your continued involvement with the Anatomy Forum! If you have any ideas or suggestions for how to improve things around here, please let me know.

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #63
Hey all you talented artists you

These images are from my first and second lifedrawing sessions at the VFS Intensive Drawing Workshop. Er... I'll just go ahead and post them images then...

First two are from my first lifedrawing session ever, done with conte (I think it's spelled that way...) and they're all 1-15 minute poses (I think)

Second set is from the second class, graphite pencil.

Amazing work posted in this thread... I hope I can be half as good when the course ends

Old 09 September 2005   #64
HEY SHEFF,

Nice to see you here buddy. I think people will love any tutorial you have to put up. Perhaps something like the image you sent me of Clint Eastwood, I forgot how you did that one. Or one of your gouache images would be cool too. I gave ACCD a call today to see if they would be interested in having me come back. Called Laguna too but I'm not so sure if I want to go back there (more of a money issue there.)

Anyway bro, niced work as always dude and give my best to the bun and oven.

Kyle

Old 09 September 2005   #65
Talking

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Peter!!!

Happy to see your work here after hoping you would post! Am currently working on a review of yours, hope to have it done by today or tomorrow. You know, I'm not kidding you, I can see an improvement from your first set of drawings (reddish conte) to your second set (charcoal, it looks like, or a darker conte). Drawing is all about incremental improvment, and I know you will definitely improve as you work through your course. I should sometime post my earliest figure drawings, which will make you laugh so hard you will get a six~pack!

Great stuff, and I'm thrilled you've posted your work!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #66
Thanks Rebecca I could really do with a sixpack, so please, post them old drawings up I'm really looking forward to the review but don't stress yourself out, I've got all the time in the world... Sort of...

Sorry about the quality of the images, they are snapshots taken with my cellphone and then tweaked in PS so the end result is far from optimal... One day I will be able to scan at least some of them (or take better pictures) but for now the cellphone will have to do... Sorry!

Last edited by urgaffel : 09 September 2005 at 08:43 PM. Reason: moo

Old 09 September 2005   #67
Talking

Peter,

No worries, lol, back in the pre~dawn days of civilization when there were no such things as digital cameras, I took PLENTY of expensive to develop pictures of blurry fuzz, which, if held at a distance and squinted at, could conceivably be made out to be images, lol! It's not the picture that matters, anyway.

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #68
Clint

Hey Kyle,

Here's that Clint Eastwood. I did this basically as a graphite drawing with photoshop multiply. I can't remember exactly how I painted it as I painted it 3 times for my classes and did it slightly differently each time.

At any rate, it was just photoshop multiply over established values. I'm sure there are better demos on here than one I could do.

I posted one on turp and prisma. Here is the link

Old 09 September 2005   #69
reply to some comments - mimic77

Again thanks for hosting this site...I have never presented or hung any pictures before and the comments have been helpful.

I have never taken a drawing class...I started something I stopped doing 20 years ago. Every lunch hour I sit at a coffeshop and pick a someone to draw. I go to open figure sessions at Cleveland Inst. Art and my wife has to regretfully sit for me every onece in a while.

To Rebecca's question my biggest influence(s) is J.S.Sargent by far and DaVinci.

Old 09 September 2005   #70
Talking

Sheff,

That is a great image! Thanks for posting it!

mimic77,

Never taken any drawing classes? That is incredible to me...your drawings definitely have a wonderful, trained quality, but not in the sense that they are stiff ~ just confident, and highly expressive. It's great to see, and I'm thrilled you are showing your work to us!

Hope to see more...it's great to have you aboard.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 03:08 AM.

Old 09 September 2005   #71
Just posting these, a two of the last (out of 12) 30 second sketches we did today:

And a quick gesture drawing with some contours:

Sheff, amazing Clint Eastwood picture. And thank you for the tutorial you wrote, makes me want to try the technique immediately

Old 09 September 2005   #72
Talking

Peter,

I particularly like those top two...it's really interesting how much more considered and confident these feel when compared to your very first posts...can you tell us about your classes' teaching methods and approach? Of course, all classes are different, so it is always interesting to hear what techniques are being used. The bottom figure has some funniness, but the linework is quite nice...it's considered, and look like you were really taking your time and looking. Nice stuff...keep posting!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #73
Usually we start with quick 30 second gesture drawings to loosen up, just try to nail the attitude and feel of the pose, the general volumes. No fancy work, we're barely allowed to look at the paper We've had two teachers so far and they both hammer in the importance of shapes, about being able to see and to break up the organic/non-organic form into shapes so you get the proportions and perspective right. Adding in the main shadows or gesture in the shadows is another exercise we do as well as contours. After we've got all that down (doesn't have to be fancy, just enough to guide you) we can spend time to detail it (if we have that much time) and if you've done it properly (and know your anatomy) you don't really need the model anymore, you could theoretically finish it off yourself

The female teacher (Lil) is the one we've had the last two times and she's very good at illustrating how you can find the arcs, the lines of action and how important it is to do proper contours with warying line weight to give your illustrations a more 3-dimensional feel. The bottom one I posted was one of the gesture shadow drawings with contours to add a more solid feel to the drawing we did.

The top two were supposed to be 30 second head studies but since he (the model) was facing away from me I added in the shoulders and the top of the torso too and they turned out real nice if I may say so myself

I can't remember everything they say during class but the stuff about shapes is the one most repeated so that one has really stuck

Old 09 September 2005   #74
Talking

Peter,

Thanks for that explanation, it is always interesting to hear about different teaching techniques. I'm sure you will continue to do well in your class...looking forward to those updates.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #75
urgaffel - here's an easy tip. Get comfortable with controlling the scale of your drawings. You can get a lot more done if you draw smaller.

Also the more abstract the shapes of your light and dark pattern are, the more realistic your drawings will look. The more you can work abstractly, the faster you will get.

These are all less than 2 min.

The main thing I pay attention to on short poses is where the light meets shadow and how those shapes interact.

Thread Closed share thread