Life Drawings - Post Your Life Drawings! From Class or Workshops

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #46
Talking

OK, OK... Andy posted his so I'd better follow suit. Notice how he didn't submit his second drawing of the evening, LOL!

Here's my attempts anyway -

Week 1 drawing

Week 2 Drawing 1 -

And Drawing 2 -

Well, I did my best and learned from my first week....

MIKE

Old 09 September 2005   #47
Talking

Mike,

Some really good stuff here! I have started a review, but won't have time to finish it til later. But glad to see your work here, and hopefully I will be seeing more.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #48
Talking

Mike,

Ok, I have jimmied up a little review here which I hope you will find useful:

I notice that one thing which you do in your drawings is to always make the head too small. This is where using the dreaded box / cylinder technique can come in handy, as it allows you to rough in the figure's proportions simply before you go in to render / draw. The big idea is just to get the major shapes in ~ starting with the head (a cirle with some axes should do). Then you want to find the major central axis ~ from a front view, you would draw the line from the neck to the pit of the neck, down the sternum, thru the belly button, to the base of the pelvis. This establishes the general direction of the torso.

You do not have to use boxes to describe things. You can alternately use a 'peanut shape' as to describe both the upper and lower torso as a 'p' unit. Then, mass in the arms and legs using simple cylinders.

NOTE: You can start using this blocking in method as a sketch on the side of your paper if you're more comfortable with this approach ~ and use this as a guide when you go in to freehand draw the figure in larger scale on the better part of the paper. The box approach is just a guide to help you to see ~ you do not have to always draw this way. It is merely a method by which to learn how to simplify the major parts of the body. Drawing is, after all, a simplified represenation of the figure. It is why artists will always tell you not to copy the model, but to learn how it is constructed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #49
Here are two I did last week:

- Benjamin

Old 09 September 2005   #50
Talking

Benjamin,

Great to see your life studies as well! I like the first in particular, as it looks as though your medium were charcoal, tho the effect you achieved was one of an ink wash ~ very nice! You seem to have a painterly sense of light ~ have you done figure paintings as well which you could post? We have a life painting thread:

Life Paintings - Post Your Best Paintings From Life! 2D TRADITIONAL / DIGITAL

It would be great to see some work there!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #51
This is my first post at CG. Great site.

These were done with mechanical pencil and took about 20-30 min each.

Old 09 September 2005   #52
Talking

mimic77,

Welcome to CGTalk, and to the Anatomy Forum! We're happy to have you aboard.

Wow, these are some beautiful drawings! Whom would you say are your biggest artistic influences? There are a lot of people that come to mind, but I'm interested to hear what you say.

I hope you will join us for our ongoing Open Figure Drawing Workshop series, in which a set of photos of nude models are posted every 2 weeks from which artists may digitally or traditionally draw, paint, or even 3D model. We are currently on the end of week 1 of:

Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with zhuzhu and Rebecca Kimmel 004

and will start with a new OFDW 005 in 1 week with a new model.

Links to previous OFDWs can be found here:

Tutorials, Workshops, Anatomy Reviews & More ... [links within]\
(see post #3)

Great work, and look forward to seeing more of it!

Also, may I ask, how did you find out about the Anatomy Forum?

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 04:45 AM.

Old 09 September 2005   #53
Talking

Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Mike,

Ok, I have jimmied up a little review here which I hope you will find useful:

Of course it will be useful Your reviews always are... ROFL!

Originally Posted by Rebeccak:
I notice that one thing which you do in your drawings is to always make the head too small.

Yeah - I notice that too, Freudian perhaps?... (or the fact that I can't draw portraits too well?)

Originally Posted by Rebeccak: It is why artists will always tell you not to copy the model, but to learn how it is constructed.

No artist ever has told me that in my life. Your the first... it makes perfect sense! Thats why I signed up to your anatomy workshop...

Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Sure did - Cheers RK. I said it once and I'll say it again - YOUR A STAR!

Last edited by default-rol : 09 September 2005 at 08:48 AM.

Old 09 September 2005   #54
Quarter dump

Here are my first posts to this forum.

There's watercolor, ink wash and toned paper. I'm trying to shake off some rust. They're all between 5 to 10 mins each. Some are from class, some are from open workshops.

I hope I haven't posted too many. If I have, I will delete some of them.

Old 09 September 2005   #55
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: Benjamin,

Great to see your life studies as well! I like the first in particular, as it looks as though your medium were charcoal, tho the effect you achieved was one of an ink wash ~ very nice! You seem to have a painterly sense of light ~ have you done figure paintings as well which you could post? We have a life painting thread:

Life Paintings - Post Your Best Paintings From Life! 2D TRADITIONAL / DIGITAL

It would be great to see some work there!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak
Thanks rebecca! I basically used a technique I learnt at the Place Du Tertre in Paris. One of my friends let someone draw her, and he constantly rubbed his carchoal out with his thumb. So now that I was starting lifedrawingclass again (after having to drop out halfway last year) I thought I could try it out, and I really like the effect I achieved. No paintings yet, though, since I'm only in the first year of lifedrawing class, and we won't be painting until may/june...

And about
It is why artists will always tell you not to copy the model, but to learn how it is constructed.
Noone has ever told me that eather. Only in books and internet notes. That's really something I don't like about the lifedrawing class I'm in now. They want the first year just to draw what they see, not what they think is there. Probably to make the shift to the right part of the brain. But I'm past that, mostly, and really want to learn as much about anatomy as possible. Unfortunately, I'll have to do with those books and notes, and apply that to class myself.

thanks again

- Benjamin

Last edited by Bentagon : 09 September 2005 at 10:17 AM.

Old 09 September 2005   #56
prisma study

This was done with purple prisma with a touch of micron marker.
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b...e092205copy.jpg

Old 09 September 2005   #57
Talking

Mike,

Just saw your post. Funnily, your posts always show up later than others, I don't know why...but anyway, thanks so much for your comments ~ it's funny how we alternately abuse and praise one another, I think I shall start calling you 'bro'. Great to see your work here, and do hope to see more.

Benjamin,

You're totally welcome, and thanks for sharing those thoughts! It is sometimes hard to get the classes that you want, but you are lucky in that the internet has such a vast array of resources, which were not as readily available to me in the stone age when I was in school, lol!

Great to have you on the forum.

PixelColada / Scheff,

Hey, it's GREAT to have you on the Forum! Thanks for posting these fantastic drawings, it's just great to see!

Your website is amazing, and you are truly a pro. I have to ask, since I see Art Center style everywhere apparent, especially in your drawings, and, lol, you have a painting on your website of that crazy guy Earl, who is so prevalent in movies, videos, and drawing workshops across Southern California ~ did you go to Art Center? I'm nearly certain the answer is 'yes', but couldn't find details on your website (too lazy to wait for PDFs I guess, lol!)

At any rate, no, you have not posted too many drawings, I would encourage you to post as many as you like! It's great to see work of this quality, and the calligraphic Harry Carmean style charcoal drawing is so refreshing to see. I love his work and nearly worship his drawing style...amazing stuff.

At any rate, I hope you will post some of your other work on the appropriate threads here as well! Some of them are not as frequented as others, and less frequented threads disappear, but are still on the server.

You merely need to show ALL threads by doing the following at the bottom of the Anatomy Forum:

Definitely hope to see more of your work! And, if you would be interested in doing any tutorials, I think many people here would find them extremely useful.

Also, I hope you will consider taking part in our Open Figure Drawing Workshop series ~ check out our current OFDW 004 here:

Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with zhuzhu and Rebecca Kimmel 004

Links to Open Figure Drawing Workshops can be found in post #3 in the above link.

Basically, the Open Figure Drawing Workshops (or OFDWs for short) are 2 week long workshops in which photos of nude models are posted as reference for digital or traditional drawing or painting. I usually provide some feedback, and you get to see how a number of other artists interpret the figure.

There has been some really cool work posted! Definitely check out OFDWs 001, 002, and 003 if you get the chance.

OFDW 004 has been in session for 1 week. It has another week to go.

Feel free to participate in this or any OFDW. Even though a new OFDW kicks off every 2 weeks, people are free to post on any OFDW for as long as they want...though most people move on the most recent OFDW.

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 12:56 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #58
Thumbs up

mimic77

I just had to jump in here to say that i really admire your drawing style.... very dynamic...tremendous work!

(Im guessing the second pose was photo reference.............. If my life model tried to hold that pose I think she'd probably end up in hospital..! lol, she usually finds it hard to stand for 5 mins)

NiCE.. keep it up.

Old 09 September 2005   #59
Talking

Andy(onahill)

Totally agree with our model being poor to say the least. I think gravity is a factor if she stays in one position for too long. She manages to change shape even if her skeletal system doesn't - I think it is popularly known as "sag!" ROFL!!

MIKE

Old 09 September 2005   #60
Talking

Mike,

Aww, now, no need to bash the models. But I agree, having a good model is half the battle...at the University I used to attend, we had perhaps the same woman??!! whose range of poses basically consisted of *mreh* turn to the left *mreh* turn to the right...it wasn't very inspiring, to say the least! ~But, still, I always found that it was easier to draw heftier women (vs. heftier men or skinny women) because it was not hard to find round forms ~ seriously! So...there is a silver lining...

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread