Life Drawings - Post Your Life Drawings! From Class or Workshops

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #31
ah there is no greater compliment to me than to mention sargent or sargent-light even.
i took a class in sva called high focus drawing, i took it for two semesters and sat in for another, i didn't have mcmullan but he was like the head dude for that class(course?), i had one of his students teach me, robert babboni (awesome teacher great artist). before i took the class i was super anal with correct proportions and whatnot, spending way too much time on these drawings and drawing what amounts to stiff rockmen. the class to introduced to me a different way at looking at things while i'm drawing them and that's just what i needed. if i know the model will sit for a while i could take my time and render to my hearts content, but this type of fast sketching is equally fun.
i graduated a couple of years ago, i'll be posting more as long as i can find some drawing sessions with good models and most importantly a comfortable enviroment!

Old 09 September 2005   #32
Talking

jrr,

Yep, Sargent is a favorite of mine, a particular sketch of his, soldiers lying in the grasses, or some such, comes to mind. He has a kind of inimitable style in which everything seemed so darn easy. The bastard could really paint. Definitely a favorite.

I don't know if these would interest you, as they are not 'live' models, and I don't know how well the McMullan approach would lend itself to working from photographs, but we have the following Figure Drawing / Painting Workshops going on in which people may use any style or approach to their work:

Open Figure Drawing Workshops with Hong Ly and Rebecca Kimmel
(see the Links to the OFDWs in Post #3)

We are currently on OFDW 004, with a new model in 2 weeks for OFDW 005. Hope you will check it out, and join us if you can.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #33
Talking week 2 efforts

Hi all, thought Id post a drawing from week 2 of my first life class in 2 years. I finding it tough going after drawing from photo reference recently. When you add that 3rd dimension drawing becomes a whole new kettle of fish!.... (now there's a phrase to confuse an international community...)

Old 09 September 2005   #34
LOL guys, I wish I could show you the cubes and cillindres I did today at my art class :P:P:P Ahhhh sooooo far to doing real life figure drawing. Thank got for anatomy forums here - at least some practice

You re all goood!

Old 09 September 2005   #35
Talking

AOAH,

Ah. The real AOAH has revealed himself at last!

Your drawing bring to mind 3 artists:

1. Manuel Neri (amazing sculptor, one of my favorites) ~ see images below
2. Alex Kanevsky (link to work here)
3. Lucian Freud (link to work here)

http://www.artnet.de/artwork_images/635/123181t.jpg

You might also be interested in the artist Nicolai Fechin (Russian) whose drawings blow me away:

http://www.mosgalleryfineframing.com/images/Fechin/1.jpg

I'd be really interested in seeing your oil paintings, if you have done any.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 07:12 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #36
Talking nice one RK

Rebecca

I'm not sure if this is the 'real' AOAH, I dont really have a personnal style as yet.

I haven't ever really painted the figure before, but I am planning to attempt it at somepoint in my coming classes...... I'll keep you posted.

With regards to the artists mentioned, I am very familiar with Lucian Freud... he's definately one of my all time favourite figure painters. I was lucky enough to catch his retrospective at Tate Britain a few years ago... superb. I seem to remember it cost me about 12 pounds to get in.. but I'm glad I paid it as it was some of the best work Ive seen. Hes the master at rendering flesh (although 'rendering' is a rather cold way to describe it as his paintings are practically alive)

Thanks for all the reference RK, thats ACE. I do like the sculptor especially and Im checkin them all out right now

cheers

Old 09 September 2005   #37
Talking

WOWWW I just checked out Alex Kanevsky, AMAZING paintings........ good call Rebecca

Old 09 September 2005   #38
Talking

AOAH,

You're totally welcome, and whichever AOAH has arrived, we're happy to have him aboard ~
Another artist you might wish to check out is Giacometti ~ less his sculptures than his drawings:

http://www.francis-bacon.cx/articles/giacometti_1960.jpg

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/chabrieres/...metti_diego.jpg

http://spiltink.dreamhost.com/blogs...raitDeDiego.gif

http://www.rodoni.ch/busoni/pittura.../giacometti.jpg

I recently met Sam Chen at SIGGRAPH, who did an award winning animation based on Giacometti's life (I have only seen bits of the animation, but it's way cool) which is called 'Eternal Gaze'. Random tidbit.

Quote: WOWWW I just checked out Alex Kanevsky, AMAZING paintings........ good call Rebecca

Yeah, Kanevsky is like my current favorite figurative painter...I worshipped at the altar of Freud for a long time but after a while, it's like retinal burn you wear out...tho looking at his work again today I am reminded of his sheer pictorial power...wish he would exhibit here as well!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 09:16 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #39
Talking

Yeah I like the expressive nature of giacometti's drawings, full of energy which i always like.... for some reason I always enjoy looking at unfinished, quickly done drawing and painting- It probably reflects the way i work (I dont think I ve ever finished anything... EVER..... appart from> I did read Lord of the Rings once...lol )

- I'm sure Ive seen that middle drawing for real...mmmmmmm.. not sure where..... tate modern maybe.

Old 09 September 2005   #40
YYEAH Kanevsky rules

we love you Kanevsky

Old 09 September 2005   #41
Talking

Apart from your doing painting in this style (which I can completely see your enjoying) I think it will be cool to see as people start to do animations in a more 'painterly' style...like Chen did, in a way. While I love beautiful, perfectly finished to the nth degree paintings by Ingres and even renderings by modern Illustrators, I vastly prefer work which leaves something to the imagination by way of pieces which are 'unfinished' or 'rough', such as the work of Neri, a sculptor I was lucky enough to stumble upon through a friend's book. I've never seen the work in person, but as you know, some work looks better photographed than it does in person. I am happy to hear that such is not the case with Freud's paintings. I've heard that the Bay Area painter Richard Diebenkorn, who used house paints as a medium, are pretty drab and disappointing in person.

Anyhoo, I hope to see your paintings, as I really think you would take to this style like a fish to water...or like Mike to liquor when he was 16, lol!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #42
Talking

Some painting definately looks better in photographs and can be dissapointing in reality, i find it mostly with the illustrative artists like dahli or magritte, but freuds work is far better seen in the flesh, as the camera can never quite capture the depth and texture of the paint surface. I think same applies to sheer presence and scale you get standing in front of a Rothko- v' difficult to capture in print.

Old 09 September 2005   #43
Talking

Rothko! Finally, an artists' work which I have seen in person. His work is permanently displayed in the East Wing of the National Gallery in DC. It's funny, Rothko is a name whose impact kind of vaporized for me after I discovered the Photoshop blur tool...*grim smile* ~ I know he had serious doubts about his own work as well throughout his life, and I have mixed feelings about his work. My earliest memory of an art museum is of seeing his work at the Natl. Gallery when I was around 8 and saying, as all brats are wont to do, 'I could do that!' I sort of still feel the same way...tho thru years of indoctrination, I have actually learned to appreciate (truly) artists like Motherwell and the like and a whole range of hithertofore indigestible installation work which I now have something of a taste for...but my primary allegiance will definitely be toward drawing and painting, no matter how digital we go. I think the more techy we become, actually, the more appreciation we have for the simple power of basic tools like a brush and a stick of charcoal. I think I imprinted on paint.

That's my sermon, and I'm sticking to it!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #44
Wink Interesting fact

Interesting fact for ya

>>>> I just remembered a radio program I heard about a blind guy who enjoyed visiting galleries. His favourite artist was the forementioned Rothko as he found that the vast canvases actually absorb sound in sucha way that he could pinpoint there exact position by listening out for them...

There are many who would say Rothkos stuff is best with your eyes closed anyway

haha

Old 09 September 2005   #45
Talking

Quote: There are many who would say Rothkos stuff is best with your eyes closed anyway

haha

ROFL, exactly!!! You can smoke the crack better that way! *tooooootally kidding.

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Thread Closed share thread