Master Copies - Post Your Copies From The Great Masters! 2D/3D D/T DRWG/PTG/SCULPTURE

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2005   #61
Hi guys

This is my drawing, a pretty old one, so I don't have the WIPs of any kind. I didn't really concentrate on the arms and face. I was more focused on the fabrics. Actually I was trying to see how I'm doing with the watercolours and it's a very small piece

Old 09 September 2005   #62
Talking

Katea,

Thanks for posting here! This study is quite nice. Watercolor is a notoriously difficult medium, and I myself avoid it, lol! I think that were you interested in continuing to study from the masters, it's a great exercise to try doing 7-10 master copies (in pencil, pen, or digital) per week ~ you are guaranteed to see improvements.

Cheers!

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #63
Thanks Rebeccak

Old 09 September 2005   #64
Talking

I've been told I need to do more Master Copies by someone... (no prizes for guessing who that was. )

So heres my first shot at one - A Raphael entitled: Young man carrying an old man on his shoulders -

About 2 hours - 2B pencil and then some overlay in biro.

The link : http://www.thais.it/speciali/disegn...Alte/sch_37.htm

Later all

MIKE

Last edited by default-rol : 09 September 2005 at 09:25 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #65
Talking

Mike,

ROFL, glad you've actually taken the advice of someone who confuses one and two~point perspective, hahaha! But seriously, it's great to see your first Traditional Master Copy ~ I've copied this particular drawing a few times before, it's a great choice and a tough one due to the relationship of the two figures ~ so kudos for taking it on. I would suggest trying to get the feet in there, and this is my recommendation for all Master Copies ~ try to draw the full figure. This is important for getting a feel for proportions generally.

Great stuff, Mike, look forward to seeing more.

EDIT: One thing with respect to the shading ~ I was reading the other day in a Drawing Manual, and I think it's good advice ~ when you are shading, try to make as though you are an ant crawling on the surface of the figure ~ follow the roundness of the forms as you shade. I like the nice parallel strokes you are making with the pen, but they are rather too straight, and you are treating the shading more as a value wash than as a description of the form. You really want to use shading to reinforce the feeling of form in your wrist and hand.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 09:28 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #66
Talking

No problems RebeccaK!

Its a beautiful drawing (his not mine!) and well worth serious study. his attention to detail, when you start trying to map it out, is simply outstanding!

Wow!

MIKE

EDIT: Do you know how big the original is? It is sooooo detailed when you look at it , that is cant have been on A4!! (not that they had A4 back then.) LOL!

Last edited by default-rol : 09 September 2005 at 09:32 PM.

Old 09 September 2005   #67
Talking

Mike,

It looks as though you used a combination of pencil and pen ~ that's an interesting combination, and probably a good one ~ pencil for mapping in the basic forms, pen for shading. I was reading the other day too that artists of the past worked in this way. It's a good method. I think folks should worry less about speed in these Master Copies than accuracy, so it's great to take your time to fully appreciate the subtleties of these drawings. It's really the purpose of copying from the Masters ~ as you copy their work, you learn to see through their eyes, even if your work does not come out exactly the same.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #68
It's amazing how difficult it is to get those beautiful pencil shadings with a wacom! Still, it's all good practice.
This here's a da vinci skull study. Not my best work, I admit, but as you say Rebecca, it's really making me THINK about how they drew these!

I'm shuddering at my shading here... it looks so lazy, but I spent a lot of time on it! Need to do more!

Old 09 September 2005   #69
See, now this felt a lot better. I did this davinci study in pencil (2h and 2b). I feel a lot more comfortable sketching on paper for some reason.

Old 09 September 2005   #70
Talking

Martin,

You're not alone with feeling more comfortable with pencil and paper. See the Yo! NO GOOD thread about that one, lol! But I actually really like the outline of the skull which you did digitally...it has a nice touch. I agree that the shading needs to be more considered, but this is something which just takes time and practice...shading can be a bear, but you will definitely get there.

The DaVinci copy is so far very very nice...I would encourage you to do a full copy, not matter how out of whack things may seem to get or how confusing they become...pushing through to the end with these is important.

Great work so far, and I would love to see more!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #71
Just got finished with this term's finals yesterday, which is why I've been slacking on the master copies for the past week. Still tired as all hell, but managed to crank out this Cambiaso copy. I really like Cambiaso's linework and plan on doing atleast a few of his. This one turned out to be incredibly challenging for me, because I have horrible linework and had to do a whole lot of erasing. But, I think it turned out ok in the end. I'm weary about finishing it with pen, cause I spent so much time erasing sloppy lines. Maybe after I've done a few more I'll go back and ink it to match the original closer. I've got a week off, which means I finally have some freetime to devote fully to art. I'm going to try and do around 2-3 copies a day for the week.

Original - Cambiaso

Copy - 8x11 in. w/ .7 technical pencil

Old 09 September 2005   #72
Talking

Slybones / Will,

As I think you've probably discovered with this copy, drawings which look deceptively simple and loose can be quite difficult to copy. You've chosen an artist with a very economical drawing style, and it takes more knowlege, not less, to pull this style off successfully. Kudos for completing all three figures, and for capturing the sense of movement in the piece. It's not important to me that you ink this for the sake of creating a 'finished' drawing ~ but inking a copy of it might be good practice in terms of gaining more confidence with your linework. I would make a copy (for example, a xerox copy), and ink a version so that you do not destroy your pencil original.

Good stuff, and I look forward to seeing more.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #73
Hello,
This is my first artwork on cgtalk forum.
When I used to go to Gym, I inspired by arnie and many bodybuilders.At that time I had done many drawings.But this artwork was special for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arnie.jpg (89.4 KB, 53 views)

Old 09 September 2005   #74
Talking

sylvexsan,

Welcome to CGTalk and to the Anatomy Forum! It is great to see your work here.

Wow, this is a really incredible drawing!! Arnold is instantly recognizable, and there is just a real beauty to the manner in which you have rendered this image. Can you tell us a bit about your art background and training? Do you still draw / paint? If so, I definitely look forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Old 09 September 2005   #75
Rebecca, thanks for the comments I like the xerox idea, I'll definitely try that with the next one.

Another Cambiaso copy, this time I blocked it in with pencil, then went over with ink, then added in some 10% cool grey prismacolor marker for the shadows. Didn't have access to a copier tonight, so I went ahead and finished it. Learned alot, as usual

Cambiaso - A Man Sitting on a Throne

Copy

Thread Closed share thread