3D Digital Artists

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2005
I have posted this recently in the 3d Finished work pages. I am very happy to see this forum coming to life as I have a lifelong love of the human body and Human anatomy. I thought I will take the opportunity to show a couple more sides of this model.

regards

jannis

jannis

www.labelleart.com

07 July 2005
Talking Yowzers!

WOW! Holy Cow, this is AMAZING!

Thank you for posting this ~ it is GREAT to see work of such a high caliber.

Can you tell us a bit about what program you used, why you did this incredible project, and something about your background / training?

This would be enlightening!

I LOVE the Lacoon Group...now I have two works to admire!

~Rebeccak

EDIT: Could you also give us some insight into your working methods? Eg:

1. How many reference photos did you use, and how did you cope with the problem of differently scaled photos? (since I am assuming you did not take a laptop to the Vatican)...

2. What gave you the idea / inspiration to do this work?

3. How long did you spend to complete this piece?

4. How much did studying from various Anatomical texts come into play in terms of tweaking details of the human form?

5. Do you use ZBrush at all for figurative work?

6. How do you see the relationship between 2D and 3D Art?

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 07 July 2005 at 08:21 PM.

07 July 2005
I used Cinema 4D to model this. This a project I am working at the moment that should develop into a gallery type of production. I can't say alot more for now.

As for the Laocoon, I just read an artcle that it might in fact be a forgery by Michalangelo which he tried to pass as an original ancient greek sculpture. It kind of made me curious...

My background is traditional scultpure and painting. I studied at the Royal Academy in London and I work in this great city.

Mostly I know work on the computer and 3D but I still have my sculpture studio and do commisions of "real work".

This is great opportunity with this forum to get poeple involved with life drawing and anatomy and also learning from the masters. In my studio I used to teach how to paint by making copies from the masters. I did make copies in the past of Rembrant, Titian and Rafael among others. I know you have started a thread on this topic. If I find them I will post them there.

regards

jannis

www.labelleart.com

07 July 2005
Talking

Jannis,

You are a true find! Indeed if you come across your master copies, do post them.

I have heard a bit about the Michelangelo theory ~ I've always found it hard to swallow that he would just have happened to be near the dig when they discovered the statue and dug it out of the ground ~ how fast could news have traveled in a pre-internet world anyway? ~ but to me the Laocoon Group doesn't seem that Michelangelo-ish a statue ~ though, of course, if he were emulating the style of the ancient Romans, then who really knows...but the sculpture, and your recreation of it, are indeed profound.

Thank you for posting this, and I hope that you continue to contribute to both the 3D as well as the 2D threads in this forum.

Thanks for the inspiration!

EDIT:
Your Website is beautiful ~ perhaps if you had the time, you could post some tutorials ~ any subject you like, be it traditional or digital ~ the community here would REALLY stand to benefit!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 07 July 2005 at 08:36 PM.

07 July 2005
Hi, I did not see the edits,

I used maybe five or six pictures of the Laocoon and some from Michalangelo's David. I wnted to see if indeed there are similarities and to my mind there are.

The idea was that it might be a forgery and the best way to stdy this is to do the sculpture.

I spend about a month in my free time modeling this. I should have spend some time rendering but I had to do payed work....

The only books about anatomy I use these days are Lanteri's books which I highly recomend.

I use Zbrush alot, but not on this piece. I wanted also to see how far I could push Cinema which is my main app.
I personaly don't see any distinction between 3D and 2D. I love both apects and both need to feed from drawing.

regards

jannis

www.labelleart.com

07 July 2005
Talking

I am thinking of having a "Modern Masters" section where Artists with significant experience, both as Artists and as Teachers, may post their tutorials ~ would you be interested in posting there?

I think this would be wonderful for everyone!

Thank you!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

07 July 2005
I would be more than happy to post there. I have made many free tutorials on a many subjects and I am always happy to contribute to the community as much as I can. Let me know when you are ready.

regards

jannis

www.labelleart.com

07 July 2005
Talking

Excellent!

I have just created the following thread:

MODERN MASTERS - 2D and 3D / TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL - POST YOUR TUTORIALS HERE

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=257709

I can't wait to see your posts!

Thank you,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by rebeccak : 07 July 2005 at 08:50 PM.

07 July 2005
loocas, that's REALLY impressive stuff out of max. i'll admit i have NO idea what i'm doing in max/maya, but coincidentally zbrush, as rebeccas has already mentioned, works much better for me.

jannis, your model is absolutely stunning. it really is. wow. as rebeccas said, i would LOVE to get some insight into how you work and how you tackled such a project.

here's my own attempt at it (it's supposed to be natalie portman )

of course far far short of what's been posted, but i'm still learning

07 July 2005
Talking

thetrianglekid continues to impress me! Great "beginning" ZBrush work! I hope you really take this to the next level!

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

07 July 2005
For a while, I had an idea to make a detailed study of the human anatomy in 3d. IMO, nice way to learn and understand form and volume. So, here are my beginings:

07 July 2005
Originally Posted by chikos: For a while, I had an idea to make a detailed study of the human anatomy in 3d. IMO, nice way to learn and understand form and volume. So, here are my beginings:

- Nice! But it'd be a great idea to show the names of each bone, so that we can refer to it in other publications as well... So far I only managed to recognize the skull (that was the hardest one ), the vertebrae, the thigh bone (not 100% sure thou) and the two bones in our forearm... that's it...

Originally Posted by thetrianglekid: loocas, that's REALLY impressive stuff out of max. i'll admit i have NO idea what i'm doing in max/maya, but coincidentally zbrush, as rebeccas has already mentioned, works much better for me.

- Thank you Btw: the face you showed is nice, although I think that modeling in ZBrush from scratch is only good for still renders, but for animation the models are completely useless... Unfortunatelly... but correct me if I'm wrong... I don't understand ZBrush that much...

This is actually my first project I used ZBrush in:

It's a game character... well, not this one exactly, since it has aroun 2.5M poly but the normal maps will be generated off of it... Hope you like...

07 July 2005
loocas, you've got a great model there, I like the details(the arteries) and the face the most. I'm not too sure about the back, it seems that the muscles on the back are going towards the spine instead towards the arms. Can you send us a shot from the back?
P.S. I'm writing down the names ASAP

07 July 2005
Talking

chikos,

Wow, I am hugely impressed ~ thank you for posting this awesome work! How far have you gotten on your project? It would be great to see the completed version!

Please continue to post more of your work!

loocas,

The fact that this is your first ZBrush model is amazing! There are some obvious anatomical problems, but the overwhelming fact is that this is a really cool model.

Hope you post more ZBrush work! I love that program, but haven't delved into it enough...

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

07 July 2005
Thanks chikos, I'll post a back view asap...

Originally Posted by rebeccak: loocas,

The fact that this is your first ZBrush model is amazing! There are some obvious anatomical problems, but the overwhelming fact is that this is a really cool model.

- Thank you! But I'd be very grateful if you could tell me the anatomical problems you see, because that's what will give me the most...

BUT as for the size of the head, the size of the hands, the muscule exaggeration and the split bicepses = that was a wish from the client! I only do what they ask me to do, since it's a commercial project no matter if it's reallistic or correct...

And here are the screenies:

Thread Closed share thread