Skull/Face Anatomy

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2015
Skull/Face Anatomy

Hi.
I am trying to improve my grasp of anatomy, and so I decided to pick up a body I sculpted, and fill it with most of its bones and muscles. This would also help me spot mistakes I made when shaping the body.
I am having trouble with the head. As I worked on the skull, I realized I really never studied the head's anatomy: I always eyeballed the likeness (to various degrees of success), but I have only a vague idea of what goes on under the skin.
I have reached a point where I can tell the skull is roughly in position (apart from the very obvious incorrect cranial shape, which I'll fix later on), but I'd appreciate if you took a couple of minutes to critique the placement of the skull landmarks, in relation to the face. Furthermore, if you do spot some problems with the head itself, do point them out.
Personally, I think I might rework the transition between frontal bone and sphenoid (for both body and skull), and adjust the body's area that corresponds to the frontal process of the zygomatic.

Skull

[ SPOILER - Click to reveal ]
Spoiler:

Head

Spoiler:

Overlay

Spoiler:

04 April 2015
Hope you're still browsing this forum, I have a few things to say that could help.

The first thing that I immediately notice to be wrong is the shape of the eye orbit.
The first, most general thing, that I can see wrong here is the underestimation of how much skin and fat there is in the face and head.

At the back of head, despite the fact you did say you're aware of the inaccurate cranial shape; I still feel the need to address this just for the record, there's far too much flesh being put in, these areas of the head barely have any muscles on them and mainly just skin on top of bone.

In the front there's quite a bit of problems -- forgive me if I say something that is unclear, I'm not exactly sure how to address it all.

There are certain areas in the face where there's basically only bone and skin, and barely any fat (or, well, accumulate less fat); here are some that I can name immediately:
- The side of the zygomatic bone (the tube-like bone that connects to it).
- The bridge of the nose.
- The outermost part of the brow (the connection area between the frontal bone and zygomatic, near the eye socket).
- All of the back portion of the head, starting from around the hairline all the way down to the most protruding part of the back of the head.

The rest has considerably more fat than on these areas.

On the front portion of the head, the forehead, I'd either increase the the size of it in the fleshed model, or decrease in the skull (think of wrinkles for example, they would not exist without a bit of fat).
The nasal bridge is alright, could perhaps be pushed slightly forward (with the flow of the nose), but the lower portion of the face is probably the most inaccurate.

You really underestimated the amount of flesh there is between the bones of the mouth, and actual mouth; in your image there's almost as much flesh around the mouth and jaw, as there is on the nasal bridge. While in reality it is the complete opposite, I'd go as far as to say that it might even be the most fleshy part of the face.
If you look at x-ray photos of people's profile, you will definitely see what I mean.
Here's one with a facial structure similar to that of your model:
Spoiler:

I would also like to address the shape of the skull alone.
Front
The connection between the zygomatic and the maxilla is smoother than in your skull, and doesn't go as far as reaching the nasal cavity.
The orbit, previously mentioned in the beginning of the post, is too narrow.
Not too sure about this one, but it might still be of some value; the Nasal cavity feels too rounded for the shape of the nose in the fleshed model, if she were to have a nasal cavity like this, her nostrils would be taller and slightly wider (the shape of the nasal cavity is more triangular is what I'm trying to get at, I guess).
The nasal cavity is too long (you can tell because the nose cartilage connects below the nasal cavity and not on the same level), which makes the maxilla look short in comparison.

Side
The nasal bridge is too shallow (that and the jaw protruding too much)
There's a tiny bit of brow ridge emerging from the inner end of the orbit and its connection with the nasal bones.
This is more of a technical issue I suppose, but between the connection "tube" of the zygomatic and temporal and the temporal there's a hole (haven't used ZBrush enough to know how hard is this to fix).
The connection between the zygomatic and temporal is a bit higher.
There's almost no gap between the two jaws (you can only see the teeth, no hole leading to the background).

Here's an edit to back up some of these things.

Anyway, hopefully this was of some use to you

Cheers!

reply share thread