Art Tutorials

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2013
Art Tutorials

Care to share a free art tutorial? I like drawing form and shapes. Later, I would like to work on detailing shapes and then maybe some line art. I was also wanting to discover many different types of brushes and maybe even share a few of my own. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by kiknwing : 12 December 2013 at 09:10 PM.

02 February 2014
I don't want to sound snakry but if the sticked thread of resources don't have what you need and a search of the forum for older threads doesn't have any results, then I think if you specifically search the net for 'line art tutorial' or 'custom brush tutorial' or 'human form' you will have more results. You're asking for more than one subject to study. I've found the more specific I am when searching for what I WANT to learn, I generally find some useful advice. It helps to also find an artist who is vocal about their process that matches what you are aiming for, and they may have answered fan mail about their how they draw already.

It would help to know what software you are practicing with. While the software is irreverent, it is important if you want to make custom brushes because everyone uses something different (Photoshop, Sketchbook Pro, Manga Studio, etc) and every artist has their own tricks they use to get what they want. For example, Sketchbook Pro and Manga studio have steady stroke options for lineart but the way you make brushes in Photoshop vs Sketchbook is different.

02 February 2014
Thanks jduguay i agree with you.

02 February 2014
Originally Posted by jduguay: what software you are practicing with

I use corel painter lite. I would like to learn how to matte paint as well. Thanks for the help!

02 February 2014
Well I'm unfortunately unfamiliar with that software and I'm not a matte painter myself, but I am trying to better myself as an artist. That takes a lot of work and understanding, so you should take steps to post your art and get feedback on forums like here or conceptart.org if you aren't already. Once you know your tools better it will become more about putting the time in to understand how to get better. I know Matte painters remove stunt gear and other things from pre production footage, at least in film VFX.

There a dedicated sub forum already here for Matte Painting with a sticky thread with tutorials, books and artists links that you should read carefully. If you like any of the matte painters linked here, check out their portfolio and see if they use painter too, and how they work to get some ideas for brushes or techniques you want to learn.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...f=196&t=1117892

You should also check out the software specific forums on Corel Painter and ask questions here if others haven't asked them already.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14

See! I search the forum for about 5 minutes and found some leads towards what you want to learn. I think you should post question in those forums rather than 'Anatomy and Figurative Art' since it's a different subject. I can't do more than this though, so you'll have to read up more about what a matte painter has to know to get a job.

Good luck!

Last edited by jduguay : 02 February 2014 at 12:11 AM.

02 February 2014
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread