I need help with female anatomy

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
I need help with female anatomy

Hi everyone.

I need some help with female anatomy (as the title says). Well, it's the very first time I try to make from scratch a human body, so I think it turned out quite good (being the first time), but I want some advice from you to make it better. Well, here are some pictures:

And here are some wireframes:

OK, there are two main points where I want as much advice as I can get:

1 - I know that my model lacks in proportions. I just see it and realize that there's something wrong with it. But I don't actually understand what it is. It would be really nice if you could help me a bit, pointing out anatomical errors, and so.
2 - How can I make this character younger? I need it to be about 19-20 years old, but I have no idea about what can I do to her face to make it younger. Any advice on this?

Thank you very much for you attention.

Kind Regards

06 June 2013
Hi,
It'd be a good idea to provide the main views in ortographic projection, without camera distorsions: just the model in front and side view. This way, we'll be able to appreciate the model better.
So far I'd tell you maybe want to work from bigger to smaller. First overal proportions (how many heads tall), the main planes, depending on the figure you want. Then you can work in the head. Look for anatomy books, plates, o measure images (good references): at what height the eyebrows are? and thing like that.

thanks,

Jorge

Last edited by jorgepozo : 06 June 2013 at 09:11 PM.

06 June 2013
Thanks for your answer.

I had posted some front and side views, but it looks that they got removed. Here you have new ones:

Well, I usually search for good references in the Internet, but I just don't know how to fix the model... More or less, I know what parts need to be fixed, or what parts look weird and unnatural, but I don't know how to make them better, even with references... So I though that some advice could help me (that was actually the whole purpose of this thread).

NOTE: The feet are NOT important (when I make the clothes for the model, they'll be hidden).

Kind Regards

Last edited by NarGalloth : 06 June 2013 at 10:08 PM.

09 September 2013
Hi there.

The human body is a very in depth subject, one which needs a good foundation from Anatomy study from a artist point of view.

Then there is the female form which takes another direction where by the subtle forms that are visible from a combination of muscle, bone, and fat. Added to this there I found it easyer to form a mans face than the females, because yet again some subtle differences are key to predictable results.

First thing is get some very good references of average male and female photo's from the likes of 3DSK. Next is to get a good anatomy book like Anatomy for artist by Eliot Goldfinger.

Drawing will help a great deal as you will soon be able to project what the forms, and proportions should look like. Use the key basics of drawing in your 3D for proportions, I use the 7.5 head high method for the female proportions.

I want to encourage you as much as I can to continue the way you are, but also want to really help by being honest. It is a long process, and there are too many things to list that will get the results you want, which is why I suggest the above. If you have a sculpting application this will help greatly, general polygon modelling is a slow process in which careful placement of edge loops must be used in accord with anatomy, deformation, and realistic productivity. In all cases keep your base mesh as low as you can, then add what you really need. Because I know how big of a subject this is, I can tell you that just the human head will be enough to study in itself.

Im out at the moment, but later on I will look at your model when im back and offer some more direct help that you can apply now. Its all about foundation to start with which is proportion, Mass, gesture.

Dan.

10 October 2013
I still have a few free copies left to my 65 hour anatomy course on udemy. Check out my thread to get the coupon code.

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by architectus: I still have a few free copies left to my 65 hour anatomy course on udemy. Check out my thread to get the coupon code.

Looks like a cool way to learn anatomy. The coupon code is not valid.

10 October 2013
All 20 have been used. There is a coupon code on reddit, but might be hard to find.

At first no one was using the code here, then all of a sudden bam, I got a bunch of emails in a row of people using the cg coupon.

Still, there is a good many hours of the course lessons for free. They have free on them. You can still watch those.

I am looking forward to seeing people's drawings from the course. Someone on deviant already posted their skeletons, which looked good.

10 October 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread