Not applying what i learned or nor really learning?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
Not applying what i learned or nor really learning?

Hi guys, i've been trying to learn how to draw for about three years now, and by that i mean studying perspective, anatomy, reading loomis books, doing gesture drawings, master copies, etc.

I aways feel great when i'm reading and doing exercises, but when i try to draw something original i just go back to drawing when i was a kid. The first time i noticed this i just tought i wasn't studying stuff hard enought; so i went back and studied it all over again.

Again, in the exerciseland i felt like i was getting better and better, on anatomy i even felt like i understood it so well i could help my friends with it, and i actually did! But i still can't apply my knowledge (or the knowledge i think i have) on my own works.

If i use a reference i can kinda get something decent, but the more i i try to change it the worse it gets.

Right now i'm stuck, every year i have less time to practice and more fear that i'm leaning it the wrong way.

Has something like this ever happened to you guys? Any idea of what should i do? Just shut up and keep drawing?

Old 08 August 2012   #2
Hi Wilken,
i totally do understand your problem, cause it is also mine.
I have worked through a whole lot of books.
ive not just read them i copied all pictures of my manga books i started drawing with ( about 7 books with at least 200 pages/book ) and now im just working on the books of loomis, bridgeman and vanderpool stil copying every picture into my sketchbooks and reading them like a bible, but stil arent able to get original work done as good as i want them to be.
I also feel slightly depressed, cause i dont get better as fast as i want to get.

But i can promis you that you will be able to notice that you got better.
Just look at pictures you made a year ago i promise that you will see a lot of mistakes you made, doing a facepalm^^.
Also getting better means that you realise mistakes you made while drawing, in my opinion a large step forward, cause most people who arent trained in drawing dont even realise ther own mistakes.

Just keep on working and try to not get frustrated because then learning will get even harder for you =)
And spent as much time as you can offer for practising,
try to find your weakpoints and eliminate them, cause working on things, you are allready really good at, dont bring you further

oh god, wrote a hell of a text.
it would be interessting if you could describe how you learn, maybe this could be the problem, but for sure keep motivated .

with regards
Leon

Old 08 August 2012   #3
Both of you, should get hand of 2 courses that change my life. They are from Scott Eaton,
Anatomy course and human sculpting course.

They worth every cent, Scott really know how to help those with frustration. Forget about any books, they don't teach nothing.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
Sounds like habits were learned that you don't want to continue using. What kind of drawing style and subject are you interested in mastering?

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread