SCB
Artist at Airship Images

portfolio
Paul Packham
General 3D Artist
Airship Images
Edinburgh, United%2BKingdom

Female Anatomy Study (3D)

I've been focused on improving my anatomy the past few weeks, studying anatomy books, filling my sketchbook with figure and gesture drawings, visiting art exhibitions focused on character/portrait art. Basically I want to up my game as a character artist.

This is an anatomical study of the female form that I have been working on recently. Itís based on a single character, but at the same time I have been using different references to try and create a natural and 'attractive' sculpt.

I would love to hear some crits on how to improve this character from an anatomical perspective, and I would also be interested to hear your thoughts on how you would make this character more aesthetically pleasing. I know this can be very subjective, but I've also heard there are some traditional templates and 'feminine lines' to describe a generic/ideal form.

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
artofillusionist
Character Artist

portfolio
Andor Kollar
Hungary

Hi,

For ideal proportions use the golden ratio, with this ratio you can check some body proportions:
example:

The first example of the golden ratio in the average human body is that when the distance between the navel and the foot is taken as 1 unit, the height of a human being is equivalent to 1.618. Some other golden proportions in the average human body are:

The distance between the finger tip and the elbow / distance between the wrist and the elbow,
The distance between the shoulder line and the top of the head / head length,
The distance between the navel and the top of the head / the distance between the shoulder line and the top of the head,
The distance between the navel and knee / distance between the knee and the end of the foot.

other "rules":
hand size = face size
sole size = under arm size (without hand)
eye ball size approx 2,5 cm
body height (approx)= wingspan

for me works fine this proportions, but not rule, remember every people are different these is only ideal proportions

As I see your body shapes not to best, the hand and the foot looks very bad like a doll. You should see more reference images for many female body.

some example

Old 09-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
SCB
Artist at Airship Images

portfolio
Paul Packham
General 3D Artist
Airship Images
Edinburgh, United%2BKingdom

Wow, totaly forgot about this post because its so old. But thank you for replying and taking the time to make a paintover. I will be sure to consider the ratio and rules on my future projects.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread