CGTalk > General Techniques > Anatomy and Figurative Art
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Ouarezki
portfolio
Soumeya
Student
Algerie Pages
Algiers, Algeria

HUGE problem imagining volume

So i've basically learned all human body proportions, but i have a huge problem with the volume. I can't imagine things in 3D, everytime i try drawing the face or the body or anything else it comes out looking flat and childish. Is this problem related to experience or lack of imaginantion, i'm not sure what to do.
Thanks for your help

Old 03-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
Lumari
portfolio
Ewe Lin Loo
Sydney, Australia

Try drawing things from life, and when you're drawing from life try to see the basic forms (e.g. cubes, spheres, cones, and cylinders). It might seem unrelated to human anatomy but if you have a better understanding of the basic forms then it's easier to imagine how they relate to simplified volumes of the human body.

Also, when you're drawing from life, try to always draw things through. Don't just draw what you can see, but try to draw all edges of the basic forms that make up an object - even if they are hidden behind surfaces. That helps a lot in understanding basic forms.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Stahlberg
Lord of the posts

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Steven Stahlberg
Lead Artist
Streamline Studios
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

I agree.
Yes, the problem is related purely to experience as you seem to suspect. You need practice drawing the very things you've discovered that you're having a problem with. It's like going into the gym for the first time - you notice that you can't raise a 45 pound dumbbell with one hand. But train a few days a week, and soon you can do it.

The way to approach it is to simplify, and then practice practice practice. With the gym example, you start with a smaller weight, one that you can lift fairly easily. Then you lift it a few thousand times, spread over a couple months.
That's why drawing fruit is so popular in art schools. Simple shapes - try it. If you find you're having problems even with that, then you know you must start there to improve.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
ducasse
nothing

forget the ****ing line..dont draw follow it.. try to see the tones...start to draw by inside..that helps.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
alex101a
Explorer
portfolio
Alex
Private, Antarctica

I think if you're having trouble imagining volume, try drawing a picture from the front and a picture from the side, and gradually draw the angles in between.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
ShawnDriscoll
Have Render Will Travel

portfolio
Shawn Driscoll
San Diego, USA

If you can draw foreshortening, you can imagine 3D spacial figures.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
pericusmaximus

portfolio
Pedro
Madrid, España

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouarezki
So i've basically learned all human body proportions, but i have a huge problem with the volume. I can't imagine things in 3D, everytime i try drawing the face or the body or anything else it comes out looking flat and childish. Is this problem related to experience or lack of imaginantion, i'm not sure what to do.
Thanks for your help

I'd suggest to focus on tonal study first, use traditional media before if not you will never make it, concentrate on pure mass drawing with graphite or charcoal to understand the tone. At the beginning with 5 tones is just perfect, then you can make it 7 but that is enough.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #8
FarisB

portfolio
Faris Bermamet
Jordan

Master drawing cubes in perspective in specific sizes, above the horizon line, below the horizon line, at any angle, horizontal wise and vertical wise. If you can draw the cube in the right proportion, then you can draw anything inside it easier since you can project how it is in front or side or top view into that cube.

That way you can apply your anatomy knowledge to this cube in space. That way you can shift your thinking from drawing on a 2d surface to drawing inside a set 3D canvas (the cube).

After you have the structure in place, tonal studies come into play to show depth and avoid that "flat" look.

I recommend:

- Gwen white: perspective a guide for artists, architects and designers. (Best book on the subject, if you can get your hands on it, you're set)

- http://www.gutenberg.org/files/2016...5-h/20165-h.htm
The book at this link is old and a heavy on language, but if you push through it you will learn a lot.

- Norling: perspective made easy. ( I found Gwen White book to be better but this is more well known and still a damn good book).

Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread