Why cant i be like.........

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2012
Why cant i be like.........

Andrew loomis, george bridgman, hoisel, carlos, chaichan.....etc
I get the impression i'll never succed, i can't draw a correct human figure to save my life. How does one improve when one is quite frankly so depressed about being patheticcaly awful at anatomy. I'd give anything to do it right but i can't help looking at my drawings and feeling bad for myself, i just give up so easiy....how can i not when evrybody's better?I'm so far behind on anatomy that i don't have enough will power to get better.
So my question really is to know how you guys did it, were you born great? How can i find the courage to improve, and HOW do i improve
Please heeelp i'm so lost and melancolic because its my one true goal in life to draw from my head without having to copy from a picture!

03 March 2012
I like to compare this with bodybuilding, because I've been working out for years and I feel there are big similarities, that are often overlooked by beginners.

First: no one's born great. Not Arnold Schwarzenegger, not Frank Frazetta. No one.
Arnold was a skinny teenager just like everybody else.
Second: you can't get big over night. No matter how hard you train, you can only increase your muscle mass with a set maximum amount every day. For most people it's a teaspoon full roughly of muscle mass, spread out over all the muscles that have been trained. For people like Arnold who have a genetic predisposition, it's 2 teaspoons full. See? Not that much more. It's exactly the same with any other human skill, including drawing.
(let's not discuss steroids, some people think they grow muscle magically, this is bullshit. You still have to lift the same weights. In fact you lift more.)

So if Arnold had never lifted a dumbbell in his life, he would have never grown any muscle whatsoever. Just like what you're doing right now, sitting there feeling sorry for yourself.
You have to lift the iron, you have to practice drawing. There's always going to be someone better than you. Get used to it. Use it to get angry, use the anger to fuel your training.
Every day you let go by without training is a day you waste that could have brought you one small step closer to your goal.
It's all a series of small steps, there are no big jumps. It's a long staircase, longer for some people, shorter for others. But the point is, no matter how short it is, it might as well have been a brick wall if you stop before you begin. Or turn back halfway up.

Your problem isn't skill or talent, your problem is motivation. You say you would give anything to reach your goals, but I'm not seeing it. Prove it. Give everything to your training. Right now you're giving nothing.

03 March 2012
I've come to realize the same thing, i wanted to remove this thread but didnt know how. I've been working non stop, i get the occasional fallback but i try not to think too much. Actually when i posted this i was feeling a bit down and was well ready to give up on art as i didnt see how i could improve. I've learnt since then not to post such things on CG Society!
Your reply really did help though, thank you and good luck.

04 April 2012
Congratulations, that sounds terrific. It's good if we can leave this thread here, it might help someone else.

04 April 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread