Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 08-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
K-Raptor

portfolio
Kevin van Rijswijk
's-Gravenzande, Netherlands

How to Use an Anatomy Book?

Hello, I just registered here after watching this forum for some time. I went to look for tutorials/tips etc. for traditional drawing and so far I've seen a lot of these things here already. So thanks for that

Now for my question (as you can already guess from the title), I'd like to know how exactly you use an anatomy book.

The book I bought some time ago is Valerie L. Winslowe's Classic Human Anatomy: The Artist's Guide to Form, Function, and Movement. Now I've skipped through some pages and it looks great, but I really have no idea how to start. Do I just read everything and draw all the pictures that are explained or is there more to it than that?

I really hope someone can help me with this issue

Now for something else, because maybe it's not even a good thing to start with anatomy right away. I don't consider myself a real beginner at drawing, but I do want to start as tabula rasa, learning everything from the very beginning. Are there any books that teach you that? Here in the anatomy forums I see a lot of books, but they are all about anatomy (which isn't a surprise ofcourse this being the anatomy forum).

I've searched this forum for some time and people suggest books like Betty Edwards' The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. I've seen this book and it really isn't my cup of tea.

So if you guys have any suggestions on where to start with drawing, and which books could be very helpful, I'd appreciate it if you post it here

Old 08-19-2011, 03:27 AM   #2
jesse92
Frequenter

portfolio
Jesus jesse
Kingsville, US

Drawing Essentials: A Guide to Drawing from Observation
Deborah Rockman

There you have your basics.. just read it and do what it says

after that, when you feel ready for anatomy, dont go and buy fancy stupid books, its better to learn from the old masters... go grab yourself a free Loomis package of books that you can easily find on the web, if you dont like how loomis drawings look, like myself( xD) go for George Bridgman books, and the Burne Hogarth books... you cant go wrong with any of those 3 masters, i got most books from all of em, and its a real mine of knowledge.

GL

Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:07 AM   #3
Whirlwind123
Frequenter

portfolio
Simon Myers
Senior 3D Artist
Teabag Studios
Leeds, United Kingdom

Would just like to shout out for Michael Hampton's Figure Drawing design and invention. Going with this book I dont feel you will have a problem knowing what to do with the anatomy book and how to study it.

Loomis is great, Bridgman is great although quite difficult and Vilppu is fantastic but really for my money Michael's book is the best one there is right now for learning figure drawing.

Site www.figuredrawing.info and do a search around for peoples opinions.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
jesse92
Frequenter

portfolio
Jesus jesse
Kingsville, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlwind123
Would just like to shout out for Michael Hampton's Figure Drawing design and invention. Going with this book I dont feel you will have a problem knowing what to do with the anatomy book and how to study it.

Loomis is great, Bridgman is great although quite difficult and Vilppu is fantastic but really for my money Michael's book is the best one there is right now for learning figure drawing.

Site www.figuredrawing.info and do a search around for peoples opinions.

for the money? with those 35 bucks you can get like 3 books of the old masters, and how is that the best right now? you saying Hampton's lessons are better than Bridgman's? thats quiet the statement, now dont get me wrong, i do own the Michael Hampton book, and it is an excellent source of learning and knowledge, but come on now, its like telling a starting musician to start learning from from some good nice pianist of our times, rather than studying Beethoven, Johann Pachelbel, chopin, and masters like such.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Whirlwind123
Frequenter

portfolio
Simon Myers
Senior 3D Artist
Teabag Studios
Leeds, United Kingdom

Best as in easiest and clearest to learn from.

Also for someone just starting out in my humble opinion (im still a 2D Beginner!) Hampton is much better than Bridgman. Its much easier to follow and the illustrations are far clearer.

For someone just starting to learn anatomy and wanting to know how to go about it I would absolutely recommend 1 Hampton book over 3 Bridgman books because I had a far easier time deciphering it. Of course YMMV

Btw for a Pianist just starting out there is no problem what so ever going for a modern guy like Einaudi over Beethoven.

If you have the option OP get as much as you can, no one source is better than a multitude of different ones. Of course you could just study Da Vinci if you like and ignore five or so centuries.

Btw the original quote was "For my money" ... not "For the money" ... especially since Loomis is free (legally) AFAIK :P

Last edited by Whirlwind123 : 08-19-2011 at 10:06 AM.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
K-Raptor

portfolio
Kevin van Rijswijk

Thanks guys. I'll look those books up (I've got the Loomis books already though). But since I've bought the Winslowe book for 40 euros it'd be a waste of money if I didn't use it, so does anyone have some experience with that book and if so, how did you use it?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
jesse92
Frequenter

portfolio
Jesus jesse
Kingsville, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlwind123

If you have the option OP get as much as you can, no one source is better than a multitude of different ones.

True this, and actually is counterproductive to learn from only 1 source, so get as many books you can and learn from all of them.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
K-Raptor

portfolio
Kevin van Rijswijk

Oh I will Are there any previews out there of Deborah Rockman's book? I know you recommend it but we can have very different opinions And I don't want to buy another book for 30 euros only to discover that I don't like it.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #9
K-Raptor

portfolio
Kevin van Rijswijk

I'm sorry for the double post, but is there anyone who has a preview of Deborah Rockman's book. When I read the list of contents it's looking good, but I'd like to see a little of it before buying it.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:53 AM   #10
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

There are some excellent book on the critical foundations of visual art, as well as more specific books on figures, painting, facial expressions, dealing with clothing wrinkles and folds, foreshortening of figures...etc, and they're listed here, with descriptions (the second post):
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=166&t=226083

Those are books that I actually own, so consider them my personal recommendations.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:28 PM   #11
purplegoat
portfolio
Guy Wilkin
Bellevue, USA

I would start with Loomis if you want to draw from books as I think his books provide clear simplified figures to start (See Figure Drawing For All It's Worth). He starts with a simple "manikin" and build up to the skeleton, the muscles and finally the whole figure.

Bridgman and Vilppu are great too but I would not start with them because their methods/presentation are a little more advanced.

As far as approach to using anatomy books, I personally copy the drawings as accurately as I can. While doing this I am thinking about the bones and muscles and such. Also I use a mirror to see the anatomy from life and analyze it. It is important to draw from life as much as from books IMO. So if you can, get yourself into a figure drawing class and supplement it with Loomis that would help A LOT. Draw from life, imagination and reference equally.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #12
Efilanrete
Veteran

portfolio
Richard Haddad
Australia

Thumbs up

Wow. Perfect thread. Thanks for starting it and thanks to all who responded and gave their opinions. I've been doing a small study on Anatomy so I'll definitely start looking at those books mentioned.

Thank you all!

Old 03-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #13
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread