Master Copies - Post Your Copies From The Great Masters! 2D/3D D/T DRWG/PTG/SCULPTURE

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2005
Talking

enialadam,

Just found your copies here...really great work! I'm really impressed by both pieces, and it's great to see more people doing master copies...great stuff!

Thank you also for the great feedback! I think it's really cool to hear, and it's neat that your drawing tutor noticed a difference in your work. Thanks for sharing that!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Hey, been busy with this hurricane business, but finished some more copies. Still have to scan some of them but here's another Cambiaso study

Copy

Only had a 10% prismacolor to do the wash, but it ran dry through the process, so I couldn't get the shading done I think this would be a cool(and easy) scene to turn into a 3d model, maybe I'll do that when I get some free free time

09 September 2005
Talking

Slybones,

Gah!! I didn't realize that you were in Dallas and would be affected...where are you now? I hope that everything is ok with you and your family...these are crazy weather times for everyone there in the Gulf area states...I'm glad you're okay and safely out of harm's way...there is someone I know from CGTalk who has had trouble contacting her family, so I know these are difficult times...please let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

As for your master copy, you are doing a great job...I can really see the focus and concentration you are investing in these pieces, and it is very encouraging...indeed, these blocky forms lend themselves nicely to 3D polygonal characters...have you checked out the 3D Digital Artists thread here?

Also, it is interesting to hear about your Prisma problem, have you checked out the following tutorial, which uses Prisma and turpentine (which would make your Prisma go further, but might be more difficult to control on a small scale...though you might try cotton swabs dipped in turp instead of the Kleenex Sheff recommends in his Tutorial):

TUTORIAL - Turpenoid PrismaColor Technique - by Sheff

Let me know if you are ok and it's great to see you continue with these despite the inclement weather and conditions.

Best,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005

Some Da Vinci sketches of mine .... We had to go to the museum (The Metropolitan Museum) look at the drawings and then draw from memory the pieces that we liked the most.

I say SLAP IT AROUND .... (have your way with it)

www.ZACKGORT.deviantART.com

09 September 2005
Talking

THEonlyZACKGORT,

Wow, drawn from memory, eh? Pretty nice! I like the shading transition between the two ~ that's rather clever. It would be interesting if you did a copy from the actual drawing, and compared the two. If you do decide to do this, please post the other copy up.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Here's one of the sketches that I saw at the museum. I can't find the other one anywhere.

09 September 2005
Talking

THEonlyZACKGORT,

Hey, thanks for providing the original! But what I meant was, it would be interesting if you copied the image again, this time, using the original as reference (instead of from memory, as in the original exercise). Of course, you don't have to do this ~ it's just a suggestion.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Originally Posted by Rebeccak: THEonlyZACKGORT,

Hey, thanks for providing the original! But what I meant was, it would be interesting if you copied the image again, this time, using the original as reference (instead of from memory, as in the original exercise). Of course, you don't have to do this ~ it's just a suggestion.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

yeah... I know ... I just wanted to show you what the original drawing was that I drew from memory.

Maybe sometime later, if I can find some extra time, I'll work on a master copy at hand.

Cheers!

09 September 2005
Talking

Ah, gotcha! Thanks.

Cheers,

~RK

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Hey Rebecca, I appreciate the concern. Dallas is pretty much out of harms way. But, I know some people that had to come up here from down south, so been busy with that. If the power goes out, I might be drawing master copies in the dark. I'm sure that won't help with the linework

Thanks again, gonna upload some more tommorow

09 September 2005
Talking

Slybones,

Gotcha! That's great to hear, you know, it's funny, since I've become addicted to the internet, I barely watch tv, so I am a bit out of the loop news~wise, lol ~ but I am happy to hear that the worst that could happen is a power loss. Let me know if you are still having problems around the beginning of the workshop ~ um, if you are without power, that could be a problem...I can pm you with my cell number in case you have a blackout and can't do the workshop in the beginning ~ but only if you're comfortable with that...I'm sure the CGWorkshop admins will be quite understanding...they're certainly not ogres, and are very sympathetic towards everyone affected by the storm. Let me know what you think is best to do in terms of precautions, and we'll go from there.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

09 September 2005
Rebecca,
The weather should be clear by then, so I don't forsee any trouble arising, thanks again though. Here's another Cambiaso copy, this time with warm grey markers. It came out much different than I intended, but I still think it's kind of interesting. Gonna try a different artist for the next one.

A Seated Philosopher

Copy:

09 September 2005
Talking

Slybones,

Artists whose work you may want to look into are the Tiepolos ~ see this article for more about their life and work. (http://www.oberlin.edu/allenart/col...o_domenico.html)

For Tiepolo studies, I would recommend using a crow quill pen and india ink:

or a very fine rollerball ink pen such as can be found at any drugstore / office supply store ~ on decent sketch quality paper. You can also use water and a brush after drawing your initial lines to establish a 'wash'.

Some Tiepolo images (various):

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 02:52 PM.

09 September 2005
Ok, went out and got the crow quill, ink, and a small watercolor brush. I think it's safe to say I have no idea what I'm doing I tried getting familiar with the pen and tried doing the wash technique on a few lines, but I couldn't seem to get good results. I was just using water on the brush and brushing the ink after its placed down. Should I mix the ink and water beforehand for the wash brush?

09 September 2005
Talking

Will,

Here is a little tutorial I found about ink wash drawing technique. I think the key is to let your drawing completely dry first before going in with a mixture of ink and water. Don't put water in your ink well, as it will dilute all of your ink. Try using a paper cup (or small jar) to mix small amounts of ink and water ~ I would experiment with this, by just doing a small random drawing, letting it dry, and then testing the water/ink mixture to create a wash.

Thanks for getting these supplies ~ it's cool to see that you are willing to try something new. Like I said, try doing some small experiments first.

Hope this helps. I'll look into finding some more tutorials.

EDIT:

Here's a Tutorial ~ the examples are bad, but the instructions are good.
http://www.mmwindowtoart.com/drawing/inkwash3.html

Most sites recommend the following:

For a nice wash, try loading the brush with a light wash (a little ink and lots of wash) for soft objects like feathers or mist.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

www.korpus-la.com
Facebook Page | Blog
korpus.info@gmail.com
Downtown Los Angeles

Last edited by Rebeccak : 09 September 2005 at 02:09 AM.

Thread Closed share thread