In need of Advice on Drawing

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2010
Talking In need of Advice on Drawing

Hello my name is Ambrose Mcduffy

I am looking for some critiques on my sketches for things I need to improve.

I'm pretty much new to drawing and is self taught, I watched a couple of DVD like, Vilppu and Gnomon, and they pretty much helped a lot.

The reason I decided to draw is three reason, One is I need to have my foundation right before I move to other mediums like, zbrush, photoshop, etc.

The other reason is because I want to get into the art institute or Columbia College here in Chicago, and need a pretty sick portfolio.

The last an final reason is because I love doing it, even though I'm not as good as I want to be, I love drawing and it's a passion of mine.

So any advice would do tips that you may have when you started on things you do now, anything would be helpful.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sketch_02small.jpg (83.5 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg sketch_01small.jpg (76.7 KB, 157 views)

06 June 2010
re

Hey nice to see the sketches. Well if i have to answer then in first sketch, when you are drawing a Sportsmen (boxer is guess) try to draw a fit here it looks like a boxer with tummy, and yeah shoulders should be strong thats the case in both sketches and in 2nd one the left half of the body looks weaker then other half . Personally i like the 1st sketch , do more practice you will get the success, am sure.

Good luck

06 June 2010
I think you're got a really good start here!

Critiques on individual drawings and such are great, but, imo, at this point in your development I think the best advice anyone can give you right now is to just draw as much as you possibly can. Draw every day. Draw from various references and resources (from life, from photos, from master drawings, etc). Get in the habit of taking a sketchbook with you all the time. If you want to be as good as you can be, you have to turn it into a habit: the thing that you do when you get home and you don't know what to do with yourself. The activity that you default to. Your drawings look good, your reasoning and plans are sound, and it looks like you're going to the right place for resources (gnomon...and here!). Check out some of the recommended anatomy books and keep crankin' em out!

06 June 2010
Nice

nice stuff... BUT... as you progress, you might think about trying to move away from just "outlining" the figures, and move towards drawing the shadows. Coming from a painting background, I find that sort of thing to be important since it helps you figure out the entire picture plane better compositionally. Try drawing some figures where none of the spaces between the figure and the background are made of outlines. Use negative space and crosshatching and stuff to see if you can create the patterns to seperate the planes instead of solely relying on drawn lines. If you do rely on lines, maybe think about trying to simply the line to one solid line that varies in shape and size instead of a bunch of scribly outlines. Just some ideas - that's some of the sort of stuff folks focus on in real drawing classes.

08 August 2010
try using less lines when sketching. Its hard to not be sketchy when your trying to visualize the shape, but if you draw really light the quick sketchy outline, and then lay down some hard lines on top of that. It might help you capture the gesture a lot quicker which might help make your sketches look more balanced and realistic. I would stay away from making the sketch look too detailed. I found that sometimes when I draw too much details while sketching, I end up spending way tooo much time on making the head have a face. So when I realize the head should be a little to the left or right, its painful to erase all that great detail I worked on, which makes me just try and fudge up something else and end result always looks a bit off, anyway... that's enough rambling from my end. Best of luck.

08 August 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread