SILO - Development thread.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2003
yes, you can...but you'll have to delete the connected verts separately thereafter!

09 September 2003
Oh boy do I feel like a knuckle head!

thanks lowkey & melchior_

09 September 2003
On the left: XSI, 3 edges extruded along axis. On the right: Silo, 3 edges extruded and translated so you can see the difference. Basically XSI adds new edges around 3 selected edges if each edge connects 2 polygons. Silo just adds new faces.

Would be nice if Silo could do something like that I think it makes more sense, because if an object has over-2-faced edges, it subdivides incorrectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg extrude.jpg (4.5 KB, 221 views)

09 September 2003
http://picserver.student.utwente.nl...e.php?id=314183

I think a tool like this is really needed in a character modeling toolset. I tried extruding and scaling faces but it doesn't work well. For the edge mode, one of the manipulator handles would slide the inner edge the 2nd would translate it along normals, and the last would expand size of outer edges (like the curent edge bevel)

Edit: Hmm Ambient, I think we keep bumping into similar ideas...

Last edited by melchior_ : 09 September 2003 at 10:31 AM.

09 September 2003
HEY I ASKED FOR EDGE RING oops select the first week it came out and it was put in a week later with a email sent back to me aswell....very speedy...iv sent them a few email about the tool set and what needs fixing....
the main bugging for me and im sure sombody must have seen this is say you use a tool and then go up to the tool drop down at the top they dont seem to open and drop down straight away and i find my self right click a few times in the view port then again on the drop down and it still dont drop then say one more click somwere and then try again and then it will drop down..very anoying..
soft select needs colours so you can see the fall of in the view port
and you need spinners to increace values instead of having to type in a value.very old school .
the whole point of desolve is that it removes the edge and vert...you need that...
and you need a slide. slid3 .or so called in max edge and face constraint..
o yea your transform manip needs the max like yellow square so you can go across 2 axis in one stroke insted of only being able to transform in one axis at a time..
are man i could go on and on hopeing that it turns out to be my dream modeller...
and you need the lightwave like and xsi and now in max 6 isoline sub d smoothing view ...being able to manip the geo in iso mode to
silo is going to be a great modeller..well its pritty great now....things can only get better

09 September 2003
HEY I ASKED FOR EDGE RING oops select the first week it came out and it was put in a week later with a email sent back to me aswell....very speedy...iv sent them a few email about the tool set and what needs fixing....
the main bugging for me and im sure sombody must have seen this is say you use a tool and then go up to the tool drop down at the top they dont seem to open and drop down straight away and i find my self right click a few times in the view port then again on the drop down and it still dont drop then say one more click somwere and then try again and then it will drop down..very anoying..
soft select needs colours so you can see the fall of in the view port
and you need spinners to increace values instead of having to type in a value.very old school .
the whole point of desolve is that it removes the edge and vert...you need that...
and you need a slide. slid3 .or so called in max edge and face constraint..
o yea your transform manip needs the max like yellow square so you can go across 2 axis in one stroke insted of only being able to transform in one axis at a time..
are man i could go on and on hopeing that it turns out to be my dream modeller...
and you need the lightwave like and xsi and now in max 6 isoline sub d smoothing view ...being able to manip the geo in iso mode to
silo is going to be a great modeller..well its pritty great now....things can only get better

09 September 2003
Silo has some subdivide issues indeed...

If you subd a model which is all one, as in color, then all looks just fine subdivided, but... I made a model up in wings and had assigned colors to various areas, and Silo subded right on in several areas but also wrong in several areas, while many other apps I tried same with, all did ok... hmmm

09 September 2003
Here's an example of what I am talking about...

the helmut shot on the left divided as should, but the one on the right did not divide as planned eh
Attached Images
File Type: gif hansmechwip.gif (19.5 KB, 240 views)

09 September 2003
I just purchased Silo after a few weeks of evaluation - it has a lot of potential especially after the quick feedbacks. I use mainly LW, but also C4D, Amapi, Wings3d and Zbrush.

I have a few suggestions - those familiar with Amapi or Wings3d know that extruding vertices is possible. At first glance, the Silo interface "implies" that this is possible too. Maybe graying out buttons or menu items might help out new users to let them know what functions work with what. Maybe, future revs will allow the extrusion of vertices and edges <hint, hint>.

Also, I like the universal manipulator a lot b/c it allows me to move polys and edges along the normal. But the vertices have been left out. It would be nice to move single vertices along the normal - those familiar with Amapi will know what I mean.

One more nice feature would be for the Split Tool to have a snapping option to the mid-point of an edge - maybe by holding down the shift key.

09 September 2003
and, after giving this new app trial after trial I must suggest that I still feel that the dolly cam has got to go on the mmb like as is found in Wings... Zoom is there and is very intuitive because of it, and then there is the cam eh... ya have to position the finger, only to hit the lmb first at times thus starting a selection as in apposed to rotating eh... how many times I have done this I dunno, but then I open up Wings and instant relief... So this method is loved by wings user's and is now being adopted by C4D v8.2, so why not in Silo as well ?

09 September 2003
Edge and point weighting instead of crease and uncrease edges. Sometimes don't want the crease to be as "hard" so weighting would be a better option. I think C4D has great edge weighting example movie here: http://maxon.net/pages/products/c4d/movie_modeling.html

Don't know if other people experience this, but there is a viewport bug for frame selection. Whenever you're in a non-single viewport mode, select an object, and frame selection. It tries to frame the object in that viewport to the center of all viewports combined (middle of screen), rather than the individual viewport. Some extra options for multiple viewports would be nice: Ability to change display mode of individual viewports (Ex: orthographic view=wireframe, perspective=smoothshade), option to link navigation of viewports like in Lightwave (zooming, panning, in one viewport will update the other, also the center of view rotation is linked to the center of the orthographic views).

Agree with all these suggestions, but
Joeszabo: I don't experience any problem with drop down tool menus when using a tool.
Ibox: While I like Wings navigation, Silo's mmb drag is taken up by the transparent select tool. How would they make it work? Personally, I would adopt wings mmb navigation and assign alt + lmb to transparent select.
Actually, since Silo seems big on user customizability, I hope they add more options for us to change things.

Last edited by melchior_ : 09 September 2003 at 06:34 AM.

09 September 2003
Quote: Maybe, future revs will allow the extrusion of vertices and edges

well, extrude already works on edges!

09 September 2003
Quote: Originally posted by lowkey
well, extrude already works on edges!

I guess I was thinking more along the lines of "Extrude By Normal" and an extrusion method more like Wings3d or C4D - the flat plane that results from the Extrude command can be useful too - but not quite what I was expecting.

09 September 2003
Maybe for extruding edges you can make it so it is modified by the manipulator. Dragging on one handle extrudes it along the normal, and it works like how extrude edge does now, but dragging on the other handle will expand the base edge out like that xsi pic and like wings, c4d.

09 September 2003
after having seen the demo videos of Byron's Poly Tools for MAYA i have to second that we need a visual soft selection area plus a more intuitive way to set the amount of influence in SILO!

Thread Closed share thread