SILO - Development thread.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2003
oh, one more idea to speed up workflow: Expert mode.
Get rid of having to click ok on error messages. Either have them display somehow, but without a pop up. Or just have it make the error noise so we know the operation did not work.

09 September 2003
And talking about displaying messages. I'd rather have them displayed in the viewports then windows.

And here's another idea. Soft selection is great but would it be possible to make area of influence visible?

09 September 2003
From the Developers

Hi Guys,
Glad to hear all of these ideas. Here's what we'll most likely be working on next, to keep you up to speed.
A) Character Tools Plugin (edge loop/ring jumping, flatten, bevel vertex - this plugin will grow, so we'd love suggestions). Flatten might make it into the main app.
B) Alternate selection styles (lasso, ray-cast).
C) We've also been working on crashes some people are having (esp on save), and are making good progress there.
D) Considering an option for sticky selection (where you have to explicitly deselect).

Anyway, those are the things at the top of the list (after getting the news out about our release some more). Glad to have this forum and your support - we're very small, but I think we can make Silo into something special.

Tom

Last edited by jamchild : 09 September 2003 at 07:55 AM.

09 September 2003
yeah, great news!

any considerations about the pricing of those plugins yet (especially character tools)?!

09 September 2003
From the Developers

Sorry, forgot to mention that - those plugins will be free.

09 September 2003
Woohoo, you guys rock!

I came up with something else that can improve workflow. Right now you can orient manipulator to normal but after you deselect elements or do some operation like extrude, it resets back to world. I think it would really be nice to be able to lock it. So it stays oriented to normal until you change it.

09 September 2003
Quote: Sorry, forgot to mention that - those plugins will be free.

damn it, you definitely rock!

Quote: I think it would really be nice to be able to lock it. So it stays oriented to normal until you change it.

that's a good one! same goes for local/world space!

09 September 2003
Wow, thanks for the update Tom. Silo is definately on top of my list of things to purchase, especially at the price is very compelling to a student
While still a bit rough around the edges, Silo is getting into a competent shape with these timely updates. And of course I want to support your development of this app.

09 September 2003
give me lightwave's subd display (nurbs-like) that support edges operations, phantom points, then add spin quads and smooth shift on top of that. ability to select edges, verts, polys like LW as well (kinda like painting selection..) and i will be happy ;>

09 September 2003
mmm.. yeah, adding spin quads to the spin edge command wouldn't hurt.

09 September 2003
rib output

It would be nice to have a RIB output module to be able to preview how the final rendered model will look with all the displacements and textures added.

09 September 2003
Is there a tool similar to Dissolve (Wings3D)? It seems as though there is'nt. I use this feature alot in Wings, maybe too much it seems, any chance of seeing a dissolve in Silo?

Jamchild - fantastic product! Thanks for keeping us up to date wit h the latest goss regarding Silo.

09 September 2003
Oh yea, this is awesome news Jamchild...

Keep the ideas a flow'n people, together this app is one sweet app in the mak'n eh

Last edited by Ibox : 09 September 2003 at 04:41 PM.

09 September 2003
ok, back to the topic of last tool remaining active until a new one is chosen... pop a cube on the screen and choose a face, now you will see that you can already move out on any axis, thus making said cube become rectangular, and... choose another face and voila, keep moving those faces eh... Melchior....this is what I would like to see for extrude, extrude normals, yes one can easily enough just hit a hotkey before doing these ops, but... as in the case here already default for move, this method for extrude etc is quicker, easier... JMHO

Last edited by Ibox : 09 September 2003 at 08:03 PM.

09 September 2003
named selection sets..

Thread Closed share thread