Man who rarely sleeps.

Brian Hinton
USA

Send a message via AIM to Nichod Send a message via Yahoo to Nichod
Silo Development update

http://silo3d.com/forum/showthread....0539#post110539

Quote:
Hey guys,

Hmm, looks like some communication from me is in order again, sorry if some of you have felt we've been out of touch by delegating our communication duties to David. I think probably the main point I should make to those of you who are interested is that Silo is very much alive, though our communication and development patterns are different than they were a few years ago, and we should probably realign expectations for forum users now that our patterns are decidedly different.

In the past we've aimed for continual Silo development dialog with users, which had its benefits and drawbacks to us as developers, and sometimes we've been good at keeping that up and sometimes we've been bad at it. It can be a lot of work to pacify the vocal minority of Silo users who get worked up about certain things and start worrying that the company doesn't value its users or is dying (neither is true, we love all our users and the company is doing great :]). There have also been both benefits and drawbacks to having everyone know what was coming in the next update to Silo. Now instead of saying "ok, we're going to be really good at posting development updates every week", we'll say instead that sometimes we probably will and sometimes we probably won't......

Good to see an update. Partial quote above. More at the thread linked above.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
R10k
Expert

This isn't exactly news, is it? Lots of posts like this get made by developers.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
MadBox
none
Lithuania

i woulds say its enought of this bs, someone "farts" and you instantly see reported details about that "fart".

Old 06-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
Veehoy
Newtek Doormat

Vidar H
Norway

Well, this "fart" is mostly read as the famous " last nail in the coffin" among the Silo community. So how is that for news?

Old 06-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Sheep Factory's helpful quick guide to posting under CgNews for people who don't get it:

-Developer makes a post saying they are working on the software without giving any detail or feature announcement. (Do NOT post under CgNews)

-Developer officially announces new version of software with a press release and actual info. (Post under CgNews!)

Hope this helps!

Old 07-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Nichod
Man who rarely sleeps.

Brian Hinton
USA

Send a message via AIM to Nichod Send a message via Yahoo to Nichod
Well forgive me. I thought it was significant since people were waiting on development news regarding Silo.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:08 AM   #7
R10k
Expert

No need to get snarky... there is a reason Silo has its own forum here.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:26 AM   #8
Rezonance
Frequenter

Does this mean that there will be much less development on Silo? It sounds like we are being let down nicely or something.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:16 AM   #9
R10k
Expert

Quote:
Does this mean that there will be much less development on Silo? It sounds like we are being let down nicely or something.

What planet are you on? It doesn't say anything like that at all. Go back and read it... it's pretty clear what's being said.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:44 AM   #10
Rezonance
Frequenter

errm... phrases like...
Quote:
...it means that we no longer devote all our time and energy to the development of Silo -- and we feel like Silo has reached a point of maturity where it doesn't need that. We still have a plan for Silo, and it is still under active development, but you'll probably see that development happen in shorter bursts at key times.

could be interpreted as saying "We are moving on to other things, Silo is no longer going to be a core priority for us, but we will update it when we can". Others online have interpreted the post similarly http://cgdigg.com/story.php?title=silo-is-almost-dead . This message along with with the now infrequent updates could reasonably imply such.

Next time, if you are going to respond say something useful or stay quiet. Phrases like "What planet are you on?" and "Go back and read it..." are plain rude and disrespectful, when I have shown you none of that. If you disagree, fine, but respond like an adult not an petulant teen trying to start a flame war.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #11
R10k
Expert

My statement was a reflection of my bewilderment... I had absolutely zero idea how you could have gotten that interpretation from the forum post. As it turns out, I misread and completely missed that part. So, I guess I'm the dummy after all, and you're not blind (thankfully- I really was amazed for a moment there).

Old 07-02-2009, 08:47 AM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread