Is Silo worth it?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2008   #1
Is Silo worth it?

I am sorry to ask especially that posts of 'what's best' type usually create a lot of confusion but I am new to 3D and Silo really looks like a great package but when I check here all I see is 3 posts and this wonders me.

ZBrush was my first choice but I am a Mac user and using bootcamp (memory eater) is not not a option for me. Also nobody really knows what's the release date further giving me thoughts that next update/release my end up same for Mac users.

So when I looked at Silo and have it's trial running few days now I find it super fun to work with. Considering my budget I can not allow myself to buy two applications at this time and was wondering if Silo alo is good enough to get me going for some time.

I like it it's just such a low input about it on several forums makes me really wonder.

Hope anybody will understand what I mean

Best regards.

Old 05 May 2008   #2
Well, it's really two different tihngs I would say.

Silo is really a sub-d modeling app with some nice displacement painting tools, but if you are really looking for some hardcore displacement work then I'd stick with Z-brush.

Old 05 May 2008   #3
I would recommend Silo for now. Even if you do go for Zbrush you will still need an app for creating polygon base meshes. Silo can do this very well and can even do sculpting to a level that will get you through a HMC or two.

Economically you could spend £70 now and have a great app to get started with. Give yourself a good six months to save up £300 for ZBrush - by which time Pixologic will most likely have the new Mac version completed. From what I hear theres a bit of frustration amungst the Mac users of ZBrush on that matter so do yourself a favour and sit it out whilst saving your cash and practicing your skills with Silo.

So treat yourself to Silo without busting the bank and get down to some quality modelling.

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 05 May 2008   #4
Originally Posted by Boone: I would recommend Silo for now. Even if you do go for Zbrush you will still need an app for creating polygon base meshes. Silo can do this very well and can even do sculpting to a level that will get you through a HMC or two.

Economically you could spend £70 now and have a great app to get started with. Give yourself a good six months to save up £300 for ZBrush - by which time Pixologic will most likely have the new Mac version completed. From what I hear theres a bit of frustration amungst the Mac users of ZBrush on that matter so do yourself a favour and sit it out whilst saving your cash and practicing your skills with Silo.

So treat yourself to Silo without busting the bank and get down to some quality modelling.

Thank you Boone. That made my mind

Old 05 May 2008   #5
You're welcome

Currently working on...HCR #42

Old 05 May 2008   #6
Even when you do go for Zbrush you will still have room for Silo in your toolbox. They compliment each other nicely, i feel.

Originally Posted by Grohu:
I like it it's just such a low input about it on several forums makes me really wonder.

Hope anybody will understand what I mean

Best regards.

One reason for this, I guess, is because the nevercentre forum is pretty active. Folk perhaps feel less need to post in several forums.

Old 05 May 2008   #7
imo, yes silo is worth it

Old 05 May 2008   #8
I also think that Silo is worth it. It's an ultra fast, highly configurable and user friendly box modeller. Regarding its price, it has an awesome range of features (actually I don't need more).

Of course if you are up to do extreme displacement brushing and detailing, zBrush is the way to go. But Silo is an excellent start.

In the end both apps complement one another pretty perfectly in my opinion. I am switching a lot between them.

Old 06 June 2008   #9
There is actually a lot of silo posts here. They just arent so frequent probably because silo has its own official forum. But scroll to the bottom of this page and instead of last month, choose beginning and then click show threads. You will find lots of useful stuff.

Old 06 June 2008   #10
I just started looking into Silo and was impressed. Looks very user-friendly.
I also want to go into Z-brush and as you guys have said, looks like they complement
each other instead of going head to head. I would think Silo would be more similar with
Modo. How do those 2 programs compare? Opinions?

Old 06 June 2008   #11
Modo vs Silo... that really comes down to what you plan on using each program for. If you plan on lighting/rendering UV mapping/texturing as well as modeling then Modo is the way to go. If not then go for Silo. At $159usd per license it's a steal compared to $895usd for Modo especially for the solitaire task of modeling. Modo's tool set is ultimately more complete but Silo has ease of use on it's side even when compared to Modo which is damn easy to learn to model in once u get a few things stored in your head. But, silo being more compact and focused definitely speeds the process along.

UV mapping isn't rock solid in Silo...yet. It has some problems at the moment. Most of which should/will be fixed with the soon to be 2.1 update. Can't forget the new Surface Tool either. Pure awesomeness.

Old 06 June 2008   #12
rtallz..thanks for your comments. I look forward to the 2.1 update!
For now, what do you think about Silo for modeling, UV in Blender?
I do want to go deeper into lighting, UV as you mentioned.
As much as i would like to get Modo, there are other programs and
hardware down the pipe. Trying to make wise budgeting decisions.

Old 06 June 2008   #13
Silo 2.1 is in beta now and the UV tools are much improved. Still some work to go but leagues ahead of what it was.

Old 06 June 2008   #14
I can't really comment on blender first hand since I'm not experienced with it. The Peach Project aka Big Buck Bunny if anything did prove that blender is indeed production ready software. Also, I do know allot of people who model in one program and use blender for such things as animation an UV's. They seem to get along fine. So i think you could do fine by that route if needed. It's cost efficient and gets results.

Old 06 June 2008   #15
Well, everyone has a different budget, so "Is it worth it" is hard to answer.

For me, Silo was a steal. I got in on the "buy 1.4 and get 2.0 free" deal which means my whole investment was only like $110.

Here's my thoughts on Silo:

Pros:

1. Unquestionably the best user interface I've ever seen. Things just make sense to me in Silo, and the good news is that it is highly customizable. VERY few packages will let you even assign the mouse scroll wheel to a command.

2. Retopology is great in Silo. The topology brush started it... then snap to surface, and now the new Surface tool expands it. Modo has some nice wrap features that Silo doesn't have (yet) and maybe shrinkwrap would be a nice add... but basically, retopolizing something is easier in Silo than almost any other package I have seen.

If your workflow is Sculpt for form and then retopo for flow, it is a great thing to have in your arsenal.

Cons:

1. Improvements come in fits and starts. It is a small team working on it, and you almost never know when the next feature is coming. I never had any stability issues, but I have seen some complain loudly about it. I can't answer for that... it always works fine for me.

2. It's hard to know what it will be when it grows up.

When Silo was a $100 modeler, it was easy to see where it fit, and easy to make it fit -- it was so damn cheap you almost couldn't afford not to have it. Now it is a modeler, a retopology wizard, a uv-mapper, and a sculpture wanna-be... Harder to get a handle on it.

My feeling is that the sculpting tool is interesting, but why use it? It isn't a serious threat to zBrush -- yet. It can't handle the poly count, it can't do masking, and it can't export displacement mapping. The only thing it is really good for is to sculpt something quickly that you retopolize for edge flow. Which is OK... but if you are really doing that, you probably already shelled out the bucks for zBrush, which makes you less likely to use Silo.

BUT... who knows what NeverCenter has up their sleeve? Maybe they will add the things missing, and suddenly Silo will be a real alternative to zBrush. I would love to see it. Silo's interface with zBrush's capabilities would be like manna from heaven!
In the meantime, they keep improving the UV mapping, so there is certainly a lot of things Silo now can handle.

I love Silo. I really do. I just wouldn't think I could buy it INSTEAD of something else. It is still cheap enough (at least to my thinking) that it is a good buy to use WITH something. But if I had to choose BETWEEN silo and zBrush, sadly I would still say zBrush at this point.

I do sort of view Silo like stock options I bought for cheap. I have this feeling that suddenly Silo 3.0 is going to come out, and everyone will be wanting to own it, and there I'll be... getting all this cool stuff for a small upgrade fee.

So far, it has been a very good investment for me :-)

Thread Closed share thread