Snapping

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2007   #1
Snapping

I am working on some furniture models that require the use of primitives (mostly cubes) to represent dimensioned lumber. What I would like to do is the following:

1. Create one cube and size it using the numeric input.
2. Create a second cube and size it using the numeric input.
3. Drag the first cube over to the edge of the second cube and have them snap together when they intersect.

The image below shows what I would like to achieve. I can of course just move the two cubes together and place them by eye, but it is not a very exact way of positioning. I have found that I can grab the face or edge of one of the cubes and that will snap to the other cube, but then I either no longer have a shape made of of all right angles, or I have changed the dimensions of my original shape.

It may be that Silo can't do this, or that I am just going about this in the wrong way. So far Modo is the only application I have found with this functionality. Right now I am evaluating a bunch of applications and hope that silo can do what I need as it is much more affordable than Modo.

Old 12 December 2007   #2
Come in the official forum and ask the same question!

http://www.silo3d.com/forum/

Old 12 December 2007   #3
You can use component snapping.

Example.

You want to position one block to that its top right edge joins up with the top left edge of another block (in front view).

Note: You don't actually need to be in front view - I'm saying it just so you know which edges I mean!

Select the block you wish to re-position and select the top right edge. Choose 'Set Object Axis' (or disable manipulator re-postioning temporarily) and change back to object mode. The manipulator is now locked the edge you selected.

Toggle on Component Snapping (Selection>Snapping>>). Grab the centre handle of the manipulator and drag the object to position the manipulator over the to left edge of the other object. And so on.

Old 12 December 2007   #4
That works perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Old 12 December 2007   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread