Silo 2.0 is officially released!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2007   #1
Thumbs up Silo 2.0 is officially released!

Quote: Update: latest Windows version: 2.0.02, installer bugs fixed Nevercenter!

http://nevercenter.com/download/

Congratulations and Great Work

Last edited by Shazam3D : 08 August 2007 at 05:16 PM. Reason: wrong link

Old 08 August 2007   #2
Releasing 2.0.0.2 mere hours after 2.0 ?
*sigh*
Dont get your hopes up, people, its basically beta12.
I'm sure Cinnsealach will come up now and try being apologistic for Nevercenter, he always is. Maybe he owns their stocks or something.

Old 08 August 2007   #3
Originally Posted by McKertis: Releasing 2.0.0.2 mere hours after 2.0 ?
*sigh*
I'm sure Cinnsealach will come up now and try being apologistic for Nevercenter, he always is. Maybe he owns their stocks or something.

Sad but true... Still plenty of glitches to deal with. You get what you pay for... NC made a good attempt at making a low cost modeler. Unfortunatelly it just doesn't have anything in it's toolset to outshine other modelers. The hotkeys have a strong design but that isn't saying much. I'll still check them out in the future. I'm just gonna use something else until then.

Old 08 August 2007   #4
Originally Posted by Bucket: Sad but true... Still plenty of glitches to deal with. You get what you pay for... NC made a good attempt at making a low cost modeler. Unfortunatelly it just doesn't have anything in it's toolset to outshine other modelers. The hotkeys have a strong design but that isn't saying much. I'll still check them out in the future. I'm just gonna use something else until then.

I gotta disagree with you on that one. even with the bugs that 2 has had it still has a better toolset and workflow that all the modelers ive used. Unless you are comparing it to zbrush or mudbox in sculpting. but zbrush and mudbox arent really modeling apps more sculpting detail applications. as far as actually creating proper topology and modeling using traditional 3d modeling skills Ive found it to be one of the best applications out and one of the cheapest.

Old 08 August 2007   #5
*sigh*

You are a gobshite.

Old 08 August 2007   #6
Originally Posted by Cinnsealach: You are a gobshite.

QFT

I'm impressed that you're moaning that they released an updated version mere hours afterwards. At least they didn't leave it ****ed for ages before fixing it :/

Portfolio - Launched Feb08!

Old 08 August 2007   #7
Unhappy

I think silo 2.0 just improved a little bit.So many tools is trashiness. Its bush is better than Zbrush? Its UV is not really better,it has too much bugs. Its array tool is 2 stupid.Can't snap to edge for freedom ? So many tools is not look like better than POLYBOOST and MAYA NEX.
Y I need silo now? Sometime I think 1.4 is better than 2.0.
For ploygon modeling,its not comfortable any more.
Maybe SILO is not finish.Many more tools we don't have yet.When? 1year ? 2 ? 3 ? more?We waiting for that.

Old 08 August 2007   #8
any idea how to instance mirror in silo 2.0.02? i couldn't find anything on that.

thanks.

Old 08 August 2007   #9
shift+I is the toggle for instance mirror. in the toolbars its located under modify->mirroring->instance mirror toggle. the symmetry stuff is under there too.

Old 08 August 2007   #10
Originally Posted by davijin: shift+I is the toggle for instance mirror. in the toolbars its located under modify->mirroring->instance mirror toggle. the symmetry stuff is under there too.

yeah for some reason shift+i didn't work, but the menu thing worked fine, thanks a lot.

Old 08 August 2007   #11
SIlo vs. Big Money

Guys honestly, my case aside, if you have a couple of hundered dollars or 300 euros in the pocket what can you get to do both organic and precison modeling, texturing & detailing? What are other options if you are in need of renderer and animation features? XSI Foundation. If you need FK, RD and physical simulation & more features? Lightwave 9.2 (795-865). But the cost keeps rising. Honnestly Modo (it's great app. and new ver. 301 is coming out) is great but the company keeps rising its cost (895) and this is without animation or other animation toolsets. So think about it. Somebody that just starting out could only go for Silo (149) plus Strata (400) or XSI Foundation (499) which later could be upgraded to the next much more featured version Essentials (allow potential growth). There are not many choices anymore > CD4D (2495;xl version) Maya Complete (1999) 3DMax (3495)...SolidWorks (2000-10000), Pro/E (~5000)...
Yes ZBrush (459) or Mudbox are great without any doubt. To be quite honnest much better than getting C4DXL or Studio since Zbrush is what BodyPaint is plus organic and detail modeller. All for less than 500 compared to BP alone. In fact Zbrush (or Mudbox) in combination with XSI, Maya or Lightwave makes great workflow combination. Of course, the cheapest and powerfull combination would be Silo + Blender(0) ...+ Mudbox or Zbrush Still the cheapest combination.

Old 08 August 2007   #12
Thumbs up

I agree, even though I own Lightwave, I love the modeling in Silo. Very quick and clean and the Displacement painting is not bad at all. The two apps work very nicely together as well.
Combine Silo with LW or XSI or Blender- you have a relatively cheap and powerfull pipeline.
I really am starting to like Silo more and more since version 1.43
Yes there are some bugs but the Nevercenter team def. listens to its users and regurarly do updates and fixes.

Surfing on the Lightwave

Old 08 August 2007   #13
*sigh*

$59 for the version upgrade and FREE point updates afterwards....

Please remind me how much you paid for MAX/MODO/LW/MAYA/XSI/ZBrush/Mudbox, or whatever uber-package that you have, and it's point upgrades again? Sure it's got issues. No software doesn't have issues. But you'd never see any of the big names responding as fast and correcting them as fast either. Nor would you be getting new tools or options freely either!

Step back, wait a month & THAN nail them to the wall.

Old 08 August 2007   #14
I am just looking forward to 2.5 or 3.My investment was really based on the perspective, not the actual product, and I find SILO 2 is a great base to start from, because it is fast and easy to just load a model and start sculpting away without much hassle.
Some pictures in the gallery show what can be achieved, it just saddens me that the performance went down from beta3 on :(

Old 08 August 2007   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread