Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
yuriythebest
resident 3Dmaxer

portfolio
yuriy nikshych
kiev, Ukraine

Send a message via ICQ to yuriythebest Send a message via AIM to yuriythebest Send a message via MSN to yuriythebest Send a message via Yahoo to yuriythebest
silo 2 or zbrush 3 or both?

I've read many great reviews on both silo and zbrush, I've been a zbrush user- an amateur user since version 2 and am now experimenting with version 3, and am greatly impressed my the speed and handling of polygons, If I already am quite familiar with zbrush 3 does it make sence to also learn silo in the sence that I can use the two together? Btw main main app is 3ds max. I know the whole moral debate in that people can argue for hours which tool is better and that each tool is only as good as the person using it, so please give only objective answers.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Klowno
Frequenter

You can try the latest beta of Silo2 for your self now, its open to everyone.

http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10722

Old 06-03-2007, 06:50 PM   #3
Rhs_CG
Know-it-All

Chris Rydalch
Venice, USA

Silo takes so little time to understand, that it is really easy to build base meshes, even do a bit of sculpting, then take it into ZB3 for detailing. I love how accessible Silo is.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #4
yuriythebest
resident 3Dmaxer

portfolio
yuriy nikshych
kiev, Ukraine

Send a message via ICQ to yuriythebest Send a message via AIM to yuriythebest Send a message via MSN to yuriythebest Send a message via Yahoo to yuriythebest
yeah I tried silo and found everything pretty straightforward *glances at max's teapot render icon* though the tutorials could have been more detailed cause I'm an experienced max user and in some parts I felt like I was a character in one of those old point+click quest games and stuck. The good thing though is that once I finally grasp a feature from then on I see how easy it is. I especially like how this program does not want to confuse you with its own vocabulary and all the features I've seen before are in a nice and easy to use setting. Definitely a program worth exploring.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
d00dle
Veteran
portfolio
Anant
student/looking for job
Pleasanton CA, USA

I haven't try Silo 2 yet, but I did mess around with the Silo 1.4 demo for awhile now. Silo is a modeling app & Zbrush is for sculpting/texturin paintin.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
davijin
The Truth

portfolio
Dawveed Scully
Architect/freelancer
FGMS Design Workshop
Chicago, USA

Send a message via MSN to davijin Send a message via Yahoo to davijin
I would definatly say use both because they both do things that the other doesn't. Silo's a really nice and fast subd modeler. Great tools and workflow. Zbrush is awesome but it takes more time to get used to the workflow than silo does but it does alot of things that silo doesnt. like 3d texture painting, Silo does do sculpting but zbrush is alot better at it as far as tools and speed. also zbrush will handle more polygons than silo so you wont get slowdown as quick as you will in silo. Im using both right now to do a character and they are both great. hope you have fun with them. I would say if your going to get silo though buy it now because I think its still only 100 bucks for 1.42 with a free upgrade to silo 2. once silo 2 is released it goes up to like $150.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
Bucket
Know-it-All
portfolio
Bellous Staccatos
NA
., USA

Send a message via AIM to Bucket
I'd say learning how to draw on pencil and paper is a fundamental. I see a lot of work on cgtalk to which the majority of it is very very bad. It is bad because people don't have good fundamentals. Drawing is the fastest and easiest way to get the designs out. Study other artists and draw from life. Draw everything, exagerate and experiment. Software does not free you, it hampers you.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:53 AM   #8
John Keates
Fiddler

john keates
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
I'd say learning how to draw on pencil and paper is a fundamental. I see a lot of work on cgtalk to which the majority of it is very very bad. It is bad because people don't have good fundamentals. Drawing is the fastest and easiest way to get the designs out. Study other artists and draw from life. Draw everything, exagerate and experiment. Software does not free you, it hampers you.

This is slightly off topic but, whilst I can see your point, my drawing actually improved a little after I started to model. There is something about having to make forms very carefully and precisely in 3d that means you have to start really knowing your anatomy. Also, 3d models can be tweaked and tweaked until they are right. Also, I think there is no one best way to aproach things, it is good to come from lots of angles.

Anyway.... silo 2 is definitely a good program and a nice compliment to zb3.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:53 AM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread