Silo VS. Mudbox

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2007   #1
Silo VS. Mudbox

Has anyone tried both for 3d paint sculpting??

Just curious if silo's paint displacement features in 2.0 are anywhere near as good as mudbox's featureset, ?

thanks

Old 01 January 2007   #2
At this point, no. Mudbox is far superior with sculpting than Silo. However, Silo is still in beta so anything could happen. Currently Silo has many of the same brush types and it seems to handle high polys quite well, but Mudbox is a dedicated sculpting app so its toolset has been honed better. The biggest advantage, IMO, is the layers in MB. You can store sculpting info from a certain subdivision level on each layer and you can go back and edit a layer and every other layer will retain it's info and update accordingly. Silo has no such functionality just yet, but again it's in beta so anything could happen.

Old 01 January 2007   #3
I read another post that said that the displacements in Silo were not for detailing the model, and that you still need displacement maps for the really fine stuff.

My question is : Just how much detail can you get with Silo using displacements ? ( how small can you make the brush diameter in-other-words )
Anyone care to put up an image as an example ?

Thanks !

Old 01 January 2007   #4
I have both. Mudbox whoops silo for displacement painting. In part because it is a released product and mostly free from bugs, in part because it is devoted to displacement painting. Silo has some nice features and is a good basic displacement painter, however it lacks masking, localized subdivisions, a displacement map exporter, stencils, and the overall depth of features that mudbox and zbrush have.

You can make the brush size zero. That's pretty small. And also brush size is not how detail is generally added. Maximum subdivisions are a more appropriate indicator. I just hit 6million in mudbox and still have a fairly responsive viewport and sculpting, on an old, mediocre computer. Also, I don't get what you are saying about the displacement maps and fine detail.

Take a look at the silo gallery. There's plenty of examples of what can be achieved in silo and many are quite impressive. However, Silo currently only exports normal maps, though there has been some successful conversion of normals maps to displacement, you'd probably have to export both lowrez and highrez to another app for a better displacement map.

So yeah. I love silo, but its strengths when it comes to displacements, imo, lean towards roughing and retopologizing. Being able to modify the mesh of a model with painted displacements is a huge feature that I hope they continue to speed up and improve.

Old 01 January 2007   #5
Originally Posted by Goon: Silo has some nice features and is a good basic displacement painter, however it lacks masking, localized subdivisions, a displacement map exporter, stencils, and the overall depth of features that mudbox and zbrush have.

Well stated. There are many features that Silo doesnt have YET. As far as I know though Silo does have partial subdivision which is similar if not the same as localized subdivision. Also, yes, it doesnt have stencils, but you can import bitmaps for custom brushes which will work in a similar fashion to stencils. However, you are right about displacement maps. Silo does not yet export displacement maps, but is expected in the final 2.0 release.

When it comes down to it, you'll be able to do most of the same things in Silo that you can do in ZBrush and Mudbox. Pinch, push, pull, bulge, etc. All the tools work the same, but ZBrush and Mudbox will offer you more sculpting control with masks, layers, etc.

Old 01 January 2007   #6
ok, good info here,
I honestly did not expect anyone to say silo would be better than mudbox,
that would just be too "out there"

But I am suprised at how good the tools sound that silo DOES have.

I haven't had a chance to play with anything but the free trial versions, which don't have
painting, but I do like silo very much, and for 100 dollars.. if the features even come anywhere close to doing what mudbox can do, or if they are at least good enough to "get by" then that is a big feat.

Would anyone say that is accurate??

Old 01 January 2007   #7
I have zb and Silo and, whilst I like silo a lot for low res sculpting it is a different thing (at the moment) to zbrush. I reely feel that I am sculpting in Silo rather than detailing although if you are doing just a head then you can get some good detail in there.

Subds in Silo with sculpting feel like what they were always supposed to be. Particularly when you can edit the base mesh as you sculpt (although this slows down the addition of geometry). There is less of a tendancy to add lots of detail to get the exact shape you want now. Even if you are painting on just 1 or 2 subd levels, you can get lots of benefit.

Plus you can use the same tools to edit the base mesh. Particularly good for smoothing areas and tweeking UVs.

It may be that the res that you can get for whole bodies is usable for game characters, so if your question is "is silo all I would need" then maybe, if you are happy painting textures in PS and are doing lower res stuff.

Here is a list of the sculpting tools where the one after the slash is what happens when you press Ctrl (shift always smooths):

-------------------------

Push/Pull
Smooth/Noise
Move/Move allong normal (currently only outwards)
Flatten/Flatten to position of first part of the stroke
Smudge
Pinch/Inflate

You can:

Set radius, strength and focus to be pressure senstitive with a tablet.

Use images for brushes or change the brush with a simple curve (two nodes with bezier handles).

Create new brushes with custom settings.

Set a keyboard shortcut for any brush very easily.

Load and save brushes.

Export normal maps (but not currently displacement (beta 4a)). This seems to work quite fast.

---------------------------

I think the above is a sure sine that I need to be a brave boy and get down to doing my tax return.

Old 02 February 2007   #8
i use em both and they both have individual advantages. put basicly
MB is faster and more feature filled. It can handle huge polycount due to harddrive streaming

Silo 2 has a much nicer ui and is also a modeler and mapper rolled into one.

both are good choices. but if your looking for a dedicated sculpting package then MB wins, if you on a budget then silo cant be beaten, and its the nicest to use program you'll ever have the pleasure of owning .

Old 02 February 2007   #9
both are good choices. but if your looking for a dedicated sculpting package then MB wins, if you on a budget then silo cant be beaten, and its the nicest to use program you'll ever have the pleasure of owning

And then enters BLENDER - www.blender.org - New release just out and guess what a whole new sculpt toolset now included. AND ITS FREE and OPEN SOURCE.

http://www.blender.org/development/...43/sculpt-mode/

So if you are on a budget - spend Zero, so does this beat Silo? Remember Blender is a full 3D app with anim, rendering etc all in the one app and now sculpting.

By the way I am a Realsoft 3D user who bought Silo for the Sculpt features. Im just flumuxed at this Blender release and its new features - for a free app:

http://www.blender.org/development/...gs/blender-243/

cheers
CTGUITARS

Old 02 February 2007   #10
oooo, I'll take a look at those sculpting features in Blender. Nice stuff!

Old 02 February 2007   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread