Silo 2.0 Public Beta 1a

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2006
And it rocks!

08 August 2006
Cool, thanks for the link

08 August 2006
Some test with the displacement brush
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silo2.jpg (71.1 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg Snap4.jpg (48.7 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by cyartist : 08 August 2006 at 07:21 PM.

08 August 2006
wow!

looks good, cyartist.
better get some done, myself.
keep it up.

-r

08 August 2006
as only a casual user of silo..i have the beta2.0 but want to paint displacment with a symetry brush...do i have to delete half the mesh and thenmirror it to get a brush to work in symetry?

also are there any shortcuts to resize the brushes rather then use the floater dialogue boxes?

steve g

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

08 August 2006
Go to modify menu and select the mirror symmetry menu.

08 August 2006
okay...found a good quick guide here:

How To - Displacement Painting
Hey folks,

Here's a crash course in displacement painting. I'll try to edit this post with additional info as time goes on. Feel free to comment with your thoughts/suggestions as well.

At least initially, you'll want to have the Brush Editor open. (Editors/Options > Brush Editor)

With at least 1 object in the scene, press t to enter brush mode. Press t again, press Esc, or change selection modes to exit.

Click the little '+' and '-' buttons to hide unwanted parts of the editor

To start painting, try creating a cube, subdividing it three or four times, and then painting on it. Experiment with subdividing and unsubdividing while painting, and also with all of the different brush types.

Mouse/Tablet control

LMB - Performs the brush's main function. When off the mesh, will rotate the view.
MMB - adjust radius and strength of the current brush. Drag left/right for radius, up/down for strength
RMB - Performs the brush's alternate function if available. Most brush types have alternate functions.
Shift + LMB - activates a default smooth brush with the current brush's radius, strength, and falloff curves.

The check marks next to Radius, Strength, and Focus determine whether those values will be pressure-sensitive for the current brush.

You can assign hotkeys to brushes by clicking on a brush in the brush editor and then pressing the desired key. This hotkey will override any other function of that key while in brush mode.

Choosing an image in the Image... field will automatically make your brush image-based rather than curve-based. Delete the path from this field to switch your brush back to being curve-based.

You can duplicate, remove, or add new brushes by right clicking in the Brush Editor.

The Size To... option determines whether the radius maintains its size based on the screen (zooming will change the area affected), or based on the world space (zooming will not change the area affected).

Tips:
Many artists use the smooth brush very frequently.

Don't let things get too smooth, though. The Pinch/Inflate and Flatten brushes are both good for getting some extra sharpness and hard shapes in your model.

Silo's brushes work even if you start a stroke from a little bit off the model, allowing you to adjust profiles more easily. (The brush radius will change color when it is not going to affect the mesh.) Try rotating your model frequently, adjusting its profile from various angles with the Move brush.

The best way to work with displacement painting currently is to actually deselect your model before entering the brush, so that you don't have to deal with the selected wireframe. We'll fix that soon.

Future Updates:

Currently, Silo will update the base mesh to reflect your displacement painting on any subD level. This happens whenever you unsubdivide. Eventually, there will be an option to not affect the base mesh, or to keep each level independent from those above it -- resulting in layer-like behavior.

Speed improvements are definitely coming to the view manipulation of high res meshes, to help it keep up with the brushes themselves which stay fairly fast even at high resolutions. There should be significant improvements in this area.

plus

How do i hide the wireframe on the model when using brush?

Right-click (when painting, you can still get the right-click menu when your brush is off the model) and choose Shape Display Mode > Hide Wireframe. It looks like it's currently assigned to the ~ key. At the moment, it's actually easier to deselect your object or go into a component mode before you start painting to see it better. We'll fix that.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Last edited by cresshead : 08 August 2006 at 02:33 AM.

08 August 2006
Excellent post cress, thanks. This is fun. I can't wait to see how much fun the final will be.

08 August 2006
Originally Posted by JuanManuel: And it rocks!

i second that...silo is by far my favorite app for modeling and silo 2 totally rocks

08 August 2006
... and it is by far more stable then I first expect it as I saw the beta released! Amazing work like this little gem left its "childhood" ;-) behind.
Having no Limitation as Limitation.

Last edited by Sentenza : 08 August 2006 at 08:14 AM.

08 August 2006
hey cresshead!

thanks for all the info.

-r

09 September 2006
The next beta will be released soon.
http://silo3d.com/forum/showthread....61236#post61236

09 September 2006
Thx alot for the url!

Thread Closed share thread