Subdivision (Refine Mesh)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2006   #1
Subdivision (Refine Mesh)

"You can use the Refine Mesh command (Subdivision > Refine Mesh) to turn the inner mesh into a control mesh of its own. This allows you to work at the finer resolution of the inner mesh. Once you do this and make changes on the mesh, you cannot go back and make the mesh be controlled by an outer mesh again (except by undoing the changes)."

--

i think this is very limiting. in xsi i can increase the subdivision by pressing +key and at any time i can go back with the -key to tweak on a lower subdivided level of the mesh.

what do you guys think about this?

Old 07 July 2006   #2
Dig a little deaper this can be done in silo as well(c and v). The feature above is to freeze the mesh if needed.

Old 07 July 2006   #3
i know c&v. that's not what i meant.

what i mean is, even after you press c you still only have access to the lower-res cage and in order to be able to select units of the higher-res mesh you have to refine the mesh but then you can't go back to the low-res anymore. unless you try to undo. not very efficient and thought out...

i'm a bit confused with the silo way how it handles that...

???

Old 07 July 2006   #4
You do have the ability to work on the higher sub d components. You just need to change a setting. When I get to work I will check what you need. Of course someone here may beat me to it.

Life beats down and crushes the soul... art reminds you that you have one. - Stella Adler

Old 08 August 2006   #5
Originally Posted by mhovland: You do have the ability to work on the higher sub d components. You just need to change a setting. When I get to work I will check what you need. Of course someone here may beat me to it.

I never noticed this could you please elaborate?? Are you possibly thinking of the beta having this feature?

Old 08 August 2006   #6
I think he means that you can turn of the cage and edit the subd proxy directly. I'm not sure how Silo operates differently to XSI in this regard?

Old 08 August 2006   #7
Yes, thats what he must mean, because he's talking bout the +- signs in xsi.
Go to "display options" in silo and turn off "Show subdivision cages".

But in xsi you can subdivide the mesh (freeze) and just leave the original lowres
object as a "control cage", in this way you can edit the high res object
and still have lowres mesh control over it.

Making any sense? heh

Old 08 August 2006   #8
Ah, so the original cage becomes like a lattice deformer? I must admit that I only use XSI for rendering.

Old 08 August 2006   #9
Yes, thats right, but it really can't be used for modeling because you can't add detail only
tweak it. Well atleast what I saw from my very short tests.

Old 08 August 2006   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread