Hold Steadfast Silo users ! Opinions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2006   #1
Thumbs up Hold Steadfast Silo users ! Opinions

I just bought Silo a couple days ago knowing that Daz/Hex 2 were ready to offer a special promotion at anytime. I did not know that Hex2 was to be released as quickly as it did.
I read the specs for Hex2 and was interested as a potential modeler.
BUT I still felt (feel) that Silo IS a good choice for a modeling tool. Granted I'm just learning how to use it. There's something postive about Silo and support I feel is good.
I know users are going ape over the pricing ($30's dollars) versus the $109 price tag for Silo.
I still feel the $109 tag for Silo WILL be worth it in the long run.
Just want to see more doc's (pdf and such) and videos.

What are your feelings about this marketing strategy and future outlook ?
Thanks for those that may respond.

Old 04 April 2006   #2
Hexagon at 30 dollars US is indeed a good bargain. However, I will stick with Silo. When I purchased Silo, I downloaded just about every trial version of all polygon modellers I could find. And modelling with Silo just felt natural. The lack of gazillion of icons, the workflow, the customizability, the speed... it was just what I needed.

If you go for prize alone, there is of course, Wings3d, which is also a great modelling program.

Or sketchup, which now has a free edition too!

I am sure you will be happy with your purchase. And Silo 2.0 is just round the corner...

Old 04 April 2006   #3
Quote: I still feel the $109 tag for Silo WILL be worth it in the long run

$109 is a bargain for Silo in any run - long or short, if you ask me. It's bearly the price of a night on the lash.

$30 for Hex is ape-shit, and I'm sure its userbase is swelling like a leech in a slaughter-house; but I'll take Silos' streamlined, efficient workflow any day.

Last edited by Cinnsealach : 04 April 2006 at 08:33 AM.

Old 04 April 2006   #4
Originally Posted by GCL: the $109 price tag for Silo.

that just makes it out like its expensive

I didn't see a point in me, personally, getting a copy of hex when i was perfectly happy in silo. the thing is, they've now made everyone buy it, daz now has the task of making everyone stick with it

Portfolio - Launched Feb08!

Old 04 April 2006   #5
Originally Posted by NoirQ: that just makes it out like its expensive

It's the best 60 quid I've ever spent

Old 04 April 2006   #6
Hexagon's price of $30 is only a promotional offer untill the end of May. Hexagon actually costs $269.

Old 04 April 2006   #7
Buy both.

I think it wouldn't be "disloyal" to either company if we use both. It's software not marraige.

I like silo's workflow, so it'll probably be my primary modeler. I probably prefer wings' workflow, but silo is developed faster and steadier. But Hex has some tools, i.e. texture paint tools that'll be useful, and as some have said $30 for a 3d paint tool is cheap.

I think silo users will keep it's fans. People who were gonna buy silo will still buy it. I think people who were trying to choose now won't have to. They'll just buy both.

Maybe silo will get a price drop too?? eh eh??

Old 04 April 2006   #8
Originally Posted by gurubvin:
Maybe silo will get a price drop too?? eh eh??

Well...whenever another product comes in like Hex2, the marketing strategies may come into effect. I mean if Silo WAS to drop in price AFTER I just bought it, I may expect some compensation for the purchase.
Maybe a Kurv Silo dvd(s) would do just fine.
By the way, I am looking for used copy of Get into Silo and maybe Silo II.
Otherwise they will remain on course and offer greater tools in Silo 2.x.

I have bought a few items from DAZ (Mimic for LW,etc) but feel leary about being a "platinum member" even for a month and not knowing if my charge card transaction would be applied for the following month. That is, I've seen companies offer too good to be true deals and then the user has a heck of a time getting out of deal.
Also seems to be more bugs at this time in Hex2. I beleive it was not quite ready for prime time since before the Daz purchase, Hex2 was not do out for a little while.
Could be a strategic move on DAZ part.

Last edited by GCL : 04 April 2006 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Added info

Old 05 May 2006   #9
no probs with platinum membership for a month..

you may as well get hex2 for $32...even if only for a few tools.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 05 May 2006   #10
I believe in using the tools at your disposal to get the job done. I am sure that once I get to learn Hexagon (which has just finsished downloading, BTW), I will use it for certain things, just as I use Silo for certain things, as well as several other programs. Limiting to use just one program for everything is, at least to me, counterproductive.

Anyway, I do not see myself letting go of Silo any time soon, and with the imminent arrival of Silo2, things can only improve.

Old 05 May 2006   #11
Originally Posted by Cinnsealach: It's the best 60 quid I've ever spent

amen to that!

Portfolio - Launched Feb08!

Old 05 May 2006   #12
Hexagon II for $1.99 or even $32 with one months membership is a no brainer. Plus you get $5 voucher each month so you can purchase $5 worth of stuff for FREE. The bad news is that the monthly voucher is only good during that month and does not allow you to accumulate value. This is exactly why I cancelled my membership last time. You also get 30% off their stuff and with Lightwave 9 around the corner I assume that there is going to be a new Mimic version for it. Hence, I'll keep my membership going for a while.

Old 05 May 2006   #13
Originally Posted by InfoCentral: and with Lightwave 9 around the corner I assume that there is going to be a new Mimic version for it. Hence, I'll keep my membership going for a while.

I know with some releases there are some plugin updates. I DO have the LW Mimic but was not aware that it may not be compatible with LW9. Also have LW 9 pre-ordered.
I figured Mimic and some other plugins WOULD be compatible.
I know the deal is a "no-brainer" but still fell good about Silo, it's support and developers.
Already have Right Hemisphere Deep UV & Deep paint 3d, etc to offset Hex2 features.

Last edited by GCL : 05 May 2006 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Spelling

Old 05 May 2006   #14
Originally Posted by GCL: Already have Right Hemisphere Deep UV & Deep paint 3d, etc to offset Hex2 features.

I hear ya there. I have Deep UV, Paint, and Explorer as well as BodyPaint 3D myself. But for the price I also got the Hex deal while it lasts. I just hope that the Carrara deal will be coming behind this one. You notice that Daz isn't selling Carrara yet? Hummm...

Old 05 May 2006   #15
Well its actually a no brainer. Its worth a shot, but after you have hex2 you feel jipped. I've had it for about a week now and its very buggy. Had it freeze a few times on uv unwarp. And the painting is not that great.

But it may work for you.

Thread Closed share thread