Why so few ppl using silo?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2006   #31
there are a few issues with Silo that bothers me, they are very small workflow things but i use it every now and then.

Wings3d is what i use for all organic modelling now. Its everything i need in an organic modelling app and has changed me into a very fussy user when it comes to other apps.

But i think this might change with silo 2.0. the feature that will be present are very cool but the workflow looks to be stronger than ever. If any of you have seen my wings videos knows how fast it can be but silo 2.0 looks to be faster and more robust.

Old 08 August 2006   #32
I've migrated from lightwave -> c4d -> maya -> xsi. I'm very happy with the modeler in xsi. But I'm less than happy with zbrush. Zbrush is not a traditional modeler. I hate the workflow and all the plugin displacement generators.

Silo 2.0 looks awesome in those video previews but I am hesitant to purchase. I really need to see a few videos of displacement maps being sucessfully moved out of silo and into other apps.

Also I'd like to be able silo to mimmick a majority of the short cuts of xsi. I know it has sticky keys so that should help with the transition. Can I bind camera pan zoom features to S instead of alt? Many apps can't do this, not even maya really unless you a cheat a little bit. Selection tools are really important to me. In xsi I can hold alt and middle click an edge and i will automatically go through a loop and there are many other workflows that I like about xsi. This isn't meant to be a silo vs whatever. My point is migration time. I don't like having to change my workflow if I don't have to but as such. Silo does offer tools xsi does not. Silo seems a great alternative for displacement maps.

Old 08 August 2006   #33
Originally Posted by Bucket: I've migrated from lightwave -> c4d -> maya -> xsi. I'm very happy with the modeler in xsi. But I'm less than happy with zbrush. Zbrush is not a traditional modeler. I hate the workflow and all the plugin displacement generators.

Silo 2.0 looks awesome in those video previews but I am hesitant to purchase. I really need to see a few videos of displacement maps being sucessfully moved out of silo and into other apps.

Also I'd like to be able silo to mimmick a majority of the short cuts of xsi. I know it has sticky keys so that should help with the transition. Can I bind camera pan zoom features to S instead of alt? Many apps can't do this, not even maya really unless you a cheat a little bit. Selection tools are really important to me. In xsi I can hold alt and middle click an edge and i will automatically go through a loop and there are many other workflows that I like about xsi. This isn't meant to be a silo vs whatever. My point is migration time. I don't like having to change my workflow if I don't have to but as such. Silo does offer tools xsi does not. Silo seems a great alternative for displacement maps.

I imagine that once the beta is released (which, apparently, should be any day now) you'll see a lot more videos and 2.0 images and exported displacement maps in other apps and all that. As far as the customization, silo allows for *extreme* customization, and while I can't answer your questions specifically, my answer would be "probably".

Old 08 August 2006   #34
Ive migrated to Hexagon since trying silo but I got to say Silo's ability to customization is unparalelled by any other app I have tried to date. The only reason you have to change your workflow is because it makes everything so easily acessible.

Its really a shame more studio's wont jump on using the newer apps they are really a lot more coherent than max or maya even XSI I suppose.

Then again in the long run maybe using the more difficult apps will give you more complex results easier?

Old 08 August 2006   #35
With the imminent release of Silo 2.0 public beta, it seems a lot of people are on the lookout. I hope they do not delay the beta too much, or the magic might fade.

Old 08 August 2006   #36
Now it's one user more, i just purchased my licence today after trying the demo and sawing the video of the upcoming version 2

Old 08 August 2006   #37
Originally Posted by MagicRubber: Ive migrated to Hexagon since trying silo but I got to say Silo's ability to customization is unparalelled by any other app I have tried to date. The only reason you have to change your workflow is because it makes everything so easily acessible.

Its really a shame more studio's wont jump on using the newer apps they are really a lot more coherent than max or maya even XSI I suppose.

Then again in the long run maybe using the more difficult apps will give you more complex results easier?

What newer apps should studios jump on because they are more coherent?
You left Silo for Hexagon, how did you get past the UI redraw rate?
What is so special about silo's customization in comparison to others?

Old 08 August 2006   #38
Originally Posted by harryb: Hi,

Yeah, Nevercenter doesn't do a lot of traditional advertising. But I think that it's because they want to rely on mouth-to-mouth advertising. It can take longer to catch on this way but I sense we're heading toward a tipping point. Once Silo 2.0 comes out, the flood gates will open. Then, hang on and enjoy the ride!

umm... you mean word of mouth advertising? mouth to mouth is something done in bedrooms or to rescue a drowning / choking victim.

Old 08 August 2006   #39

mouth 2 mouth would take years... bring silo 2 in the movie center and everyone will buy it HAHA

Old 08 August 2006   #40
As a long-time user & teacher of 3D (Maya & XSI), I can say that Silo is definitely a streamlined and very effective modeling tool. It's fast, intuitive and allows you to focus more on the "doing" rather than on the "how-do-I-do-that?" aspect. Especially if you have some basic 3D background, it's really straightforward to jump in and start creating some great work. I've introduced Silo to a few of my Maya students, and within a week, I've seen some great work from them.

Granted, there are still a few things that need improving in the current version, but from what Silo 2.0 promises to be, those issues are being addressed.

Let's see what the new version brings to the 3D table.

Old 08 August 2006   #41
Hmm.

I was unaware there was a Silo Forum here until today.

To address a couple of things:

1) Someone asked about remapping keys and XSI functionality. You can remap almost every key in Silo to function as you'd like and they even have presets for different apps setup in Silo already for Maya, Max, etc. Silo 2 will make everything customizeable for keystrokes, add sticky keys, and also 5 button mouse support. Silo 2 also has robust tablet support.

2) The better question to ask about interface customization is what "can't" you customize. The interface is so customizeable you can pretty much create your own UI design.
You can make your own buttons to replace buttons.
Make your own buttons to add buttons.
You can customize the button pages and add button pages.
You can customize pretty much every color in the program (background, foreground, border, selection, wireframe, etc.) with color wheel selection for each piece.
Silo 2 adds dockable windows for certain info panels and tool functions for displacement that can be resized in two directions, docked, undocked and completely hidden.
People have made UI's that look a LOT like Lightwave, MAX, Maya, etc. because it is so customizeable.

I basically love Silo.
I went from no clue on how to SubD model, coming from CAD, to being able to create some pretty decent stuff in about an hour of use with no training DVD and without reading the manual. Silo is one of those applications that just "makes sense" when you use it the first time, and if it doesn't "make sense" you can customize it however you'd like so it "does" make sense.

I also wouldn't say a "few" people use Silo, I'm willing to bet that Nevercenter has managed to cultivate a user base in the thousands, they'd have to, considering the price they charge and the incentives they've been able to offer such as a free upgrade from 1.42 to 2.0 for those that buy ahead of the 2.0 release date.

Now that I've used the beta for a night, it's about the most solid "beta" I've ever used, and the two key guys that program the thing, are on the forums pulling info and soliciting feedback almost constantly.

If you don't have Silo, get it, 109 dollars and a free upgrade to 2.0 is pretty much a no brainer purchase IMO. Pluse 109 dollars lets you install on up to 3 computers, any combination of MAC or PC, per the Silo license agreement.

ABC

Old 08 August 2006   #42
There's just a few added bits in addition to what achrystie said that's making me itch to try out this software. The fact that it has an SDK and RIB export makes it a good candidate for integration into production pipelines. What's holding me back is that I haven't been able to find anything on the estimated polygon limit for v2.0. Is it 1 million, 2 million or will it pretty much stay at what appears to be roughly 500,000 according to other Silo users? Stitching high detail elements together is not something I would be interested in. I was also reading somewhere on the Silo forum that Silo is a "sculpting program", not a "detailing program". I'm not sure if that was coming from a developer at the company or not. I'm looking for software that can do low level block ins all the way up to fine pore details. Will this fine level detail be ready in version 2.0? If so, I'll probably take the leap. The price and the free upgrade from 1.4 to 2.0 definitely makes this a competitive offer and I'm willing to sidestep purchasing Zbrush. If Mudbox wants to stay in the game, they'd better start moving. Hype only gets you so far.

Old 08 August 2006   #43
It will handle 1 or 2 million right now just fine. I can work with 1.5 million just fine on my laptop with 2GB of ram, but haven't really bothered to try any higher cause I haven't been able to get a whole lot of time in with it. You can also hide sections of your object to get even more detail, and it remains one mesh, no need for "stitching". And keep in mind this is a beta build that hasn't been fully optimized yet, so that number will definitely climb by the time it is released.

Old 08 August 2006   #44
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread