CGTalk > More Forums > Click Here for: > Nevercenter Silo
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-12-2006, 10:18 AM   #16
mech7
Lord of the posts
Chris
Where, Namibia

Yeah silo is awesome only the switching of viepane's gets on my nerves..

Old 03-13-2006, 08:11 PM   #17
Magallanes
Bunny Powers!

John Castle
Senior Programmer/Sysadmin/3d artist
Indy Dev.
Chile

Many times, when a forum have little or no visit, this mean it's inpopular. In other case it's mean that the product have no trouble or is easy to understand. For example you can find many post about "how to install.." or "how to render" in max.

Old 03-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #18
Modelworks
Modeler/Texturer
Mark Hanchey
USA

I know for me its that I had never heard of Silo until about two weeks ago while reading another post on the forum. I've been doing 3d for years and it really surprised me that I missed this app. They really should look into advertising it more.

I think another thing that always inhibits a new app is that people are already comfortable with what they currently use. So when they look at a new app it really has to offer something substantial over what they currently use to make up for all the time it takes to learn the new app.

For me I currently use Modo most, but have tried to spend some time with Silo when time permits. Its just that when you have some work to do its just much easier to jump to the app your most familiar with, even if its not the best for the job.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:45 PM   #19
Corndog
Bryan
OrthoMed Canada Ltd
Dundas, Canada

I tried silo but opted for Hexagon 1 by eovia...Hexagon 2 has been announced and should be looked at closely and considered it is a top notch modeller.. http://www.eovia.com/products/hexagon/hexagon2.asp

The sample vids here show the newest features and ease of use.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:54 AM   #20
DorisDay
Angel Interceptor

portfolio
Doris Day
self absorbed idiot
Togo

I know a lot of people using Silo, maybe there just modelling rather than posting in forums...

Hex really didn't do it for me when I tried the demo out, the new version seems to have just added a few ZBrush inspired tools...

It looks like a capable app, but already owning ZB & Silo, it seems pointless straying...

Last edited by DorisDay : 03-20-2006 at 07:56 AM.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:00 PM   #21
Blaine91555
Veteran
Blaine D.
Self Employed
SEG
Wilderness, USA

On every board I go to there is a discussion going on about Silo. I think it has caught on. I'd grab it now as I'm sure the price is headed up with 2.

Old 06-30-2006, 05:59 AM   #22
Nii
Frequenter

portfolio
John Nguyen
Mechatronics Engineer
University of Western Australia
Perth, Australia

Send a message via AIM to Nii Send a message via MSN to Nii
I think the main competitor to Silo is modo, which is what I use. I keep hearing good stuff about Silo, which is tempting me to try it out, but what's keeping me from doing so is the fact that I have to spend ages learning a new program just to find out if it is better than the one I'm using currently;

If it is better, I will be annoyed that I spent all my time using modo
If it isn't better, I will be annoyed that I spent all my time learning Silo

So in the end, I just end up using what I'm using O.o...

Old 07-01-2006, 08:08 AM   #23
Cinnsealach
PRO

portfolio
Andy Kinsella
Manchester, United Kingdom

There's hardly any learning curve at all as far as Silo goes - unless you have no 3d modelling experience whatsoever. I discovered Silo a couple of years ago after some few years away from 3D. My previous 3D experience was with 'Imagine 3D' on the Amiga. I got into Silo easily - with no more than a cursory glance at the help file.

Then again, what works for one may work not for another

Old 07-01-2006, 06:03 PM   #24
DarkSybesis
I'm so confused
Loïc Faure-Lacroix
Québec, Canada

Yeah. Silo dont really need to be learned or it dont take 3 hour to understand how it works.
Silo is taked as simple as it could be. Take a look at the vids on the website. May be some tutorials to learn the hotkeys of the tools and then you should be able to work really fast.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #25
mlynch
Box Full of Sky

portfolio
Michael Lynch
Illustrator - Designer
Box Full of Sky
Rockaway, USA

Send a message via AIM to mlynch Send a message via Yahoo to mlynch
I know a good number of folks using Silo. It may have had a slow start, but thanks to some good marketing tactics (bundling it with Strata 3D CX 4.2 and Electric Image Animation System) as well great word-of mouth, and solid reviews its become quite popular. Kurv Studios has even added Silo to their line-up of tutorials. And I doubt you can set foot in a modeling forum and not have the name Silo appear... Just pop on over to subdivisionmodeling.com and see how many people use it. There was a time when more people used Wings, but now that's leveling out.

As for why this forum is not frequented by users: most users hang out at the Nevercenter forums. Don't get me wrong: this forum is great for info as well, but the NC site just gets more traffic. ...Especially now that 2.0 is around the corner and the development team is posting daily updates.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:11 AM   #26
puzzledpaul
>0
pp
United Kingdom

<< There was a time when more people used Wings, but now that's leveling out >>

I've no access to Silo user figures and therefore no means of making comparisons, but the current stable release of Wings (0.98.32a) has been downloaded approx. 95k times (the highest it's ever been) ... totalised across all platforms

pp

Last edited by puzzledpaul : 07-06-2006 at 09:27 AM.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:28 PM   #27
mlynch
Box Full of Sky

portfolio
Michael Lynch
Illustrator - Designer
Box Full of Sky
Rockaway, USA

Send a message via AIM to mlynch Send a message via Yahoo to mlynch
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzledpaul
I've no access to Silo user figures and therefore no means of making comparisons, but the current stable release of Wings (0.98.32a) has been downloaded approx. 95k times (the highest it's ever been) ... totalised across all platforms

pp

I was speaking primarily from a personal point of view: Of the number of people I know (both personally and on-line) that use Wings there now seems to be an equivalent number of Silo users... some using both.

And true enough, there have been about 95k dl's of the current stable version of Wings - however I don't think that displays an accurate user base. A lot of those downloads likely go to first-time users looking to try the software. Unfortunately, not all of those 95k will continue to use the product. I myself downloaded Wings at one time to try it, but stopped using it because I didn't like it (and not because it isn't a quality product - but because I didn't like the workflow and the app's overall "feel"). ...I haven't touched Wings in about a year. I don't doubt that Wings has a large user-base, but I'd be curious to see how many of the 95,000 dl's constitute the actual user numbers.

Old 07-06-2006, 04:06 PM   #28
puzzledpaul
>0
pp
United Kingdom

<< however I don't think that displays an accurate user base >>

Agreed - similar to registered members of any forum compared with 'active' members ... I've no idea either and would also be interested

<< A lot of those downloads likely go to first-time users looking to try the software. Unfortunately, not all of those 95k will continue to use the product >>

More than likely - but there's been at least 2 other previous versions around 50k - so the uplift between those times and the present also raises interesting questions (to me, anyway)?

Anyway, all I was querying / putting some figs to was your 'levelling out' as d/l figures don't seem to agree, whatever percentage of d/loaders continue to use it - that's all

pp

Old 07-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #29
Ran13
Frequenter
Randy Fugate
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog
I tried silo but opted for Hexagon 1 by eovia...Hexagon 2 has been announced and should be looked at closely and considered it is a top notch modeller.. http://www.eovia.com/products/hexagon/hexagon2.asp

The sample vids here show the newest features and ease of use.

I've been modelling for over 10 years, with various different apps. For the last couple years, Wings has been my tool of choice. When DAZ offered Hex2 for the price of a Platinum Club membership + $1.99 (~$32), I jumped on it.

Two weeks later I bought Silo.

Take that for whatever you think it's worth.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:14 AM   #30
gtbannas

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzledpaul
the current stable release of Wings (0.98.32a) has been downloaded approx. 95k times (the highest it's ever been) ... totalised across all platforms

pp

That number does not indicate usage accuratley.

I for one, can personally say I have downloaded it at least 4 times, but don't necessarily use it. As was mentioned, the workflow is not for everyone, especially not me. About twice for Windows and twice for Linux.

Still doesn't get used.

Thread Closed share thread