Why so few ppl using silo?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2006
Why so few ppl using silo?

Hello I just downloaded the new silo demo and I have been using it for about half a week just tinkering around with it. I really like the modeling features it has over max ( what I currently have.)

In my experience (granted its not much) but i have tried demos and looked through features of prety much all 3d applications and silo's modeling seems to have the most intuitive interface for me. It just seems like a very strong modeling tool.

Again why does silo seem so underused?

What do you think guys.

02 February 2006
Hi, i think that many people don't know of Silo yet. It takes some time until it is established.
We have to tell everyone that Silo is a great tool.

02 February 2006
Where are you getting the assumption that Silo is not used? The Silo forum isn't very active, that is not a measure of its use though.

02 February 2006
lots of people use silo. Nevercenter does not publish there numbers so its entirely subjective. this board is not very active because most of the action is over at the silo forum. http://www.silo3d.com/forum/

02 February 2006
Yeah...

I know that this forum isnt the best representation of silo but I thought that cgtalk was one of the bigest cg forums around.

I know a lot of stuff is posted on the silo forums and they have really good models floating around there as well.

As far as spreading the news about silo I think I would rather keep it as my little secret

Its just that good .

02 February 2006
Like Brook says, lots of us *do* use Silo (and are jumping up and down waiting for v2), it's just that we hang out over on Nevercenter's own forum. Much as I love and respect CGTalk it's hardly surprising that the forums run by the specific vendors experience vastly more actitivty than the relavent sections here on CGTalk (well it's true for modo and Silo anyway - the Maya scene here on CGTalk is pretty active). Also, IMHO, if you're into modo or Silo there is a good deal less trolling and generally a better vibe over on their home forums. Plus, and kudos to Lux and Nevercenter, there appears to be very little censorship (*not* that I'm saying there is here, just it's very impressive how those two ISVs listen to their users and are really open about their development plans and processes).

02 February 2006
I use Silo all the time.

If there was no Silo, I'd be in trouble with my production pipeline.

Mike Fitz
www.3dartz.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The 3D ArtZ Joint Tutorial CD
Joint Set-up and character rigging techniques for
Animation:Master

02 February 2006
I pretty much only model in silo atm, for portfolio work.

I learned about silo from a friend about 3 years ago and was instantly impressed. Didn't dig into it because I was using maya heavily at school, and silo had no artisian.

features I'm looking forward to
-displacement/artisian type tools
-mirror symmetry without cutting mesh
-improved grouping
-improved menus and customizing

once silo has these, for me personaly there will be very few things to pull me away to other apps, as far as modeling goes.

Last edited by lovisx : 02 February 2006 at 06:11 PM.

02 February 2006
I also use Silo a lot

02 February 2006
Secret Silo

Hi,

Yeah, Nevercenter doesn't do a lot of traditional advertising. But I think that it's because they want to rely on mouth-to-mouth advertising. It can take longer to catch on this way but I sense we're heading toward a tipping point. Once Silo 2.0 comes out, the flood gates will open. Then, hang on and enjoy the ride!

02 February 2006
-displacement/artisian type tools
-improved grouping

i agree. the cool thing is that all that stuff is going to be in 2.0! the only other thing i want to see is uv tools and thats going to be in there as well.

02 February 2006
I think it's because it's really cheap compared to other packages and people think that it's not as good. A great example of the sheep syndrome. Maybe also because it doesnt have animation tools...why spend money on a modeling only app if youre gonna need maya or max anyways....

02 February 2006
Originally Posted by brook kievit: -displacement/artisian type tools
-improved grouping

i agree. the cool thing is that all that stuff is going to be in 2.0! the only other thing i want to see is uv tools and thats going to be in there as well.

yeah, that's what I mean. I can't wait. It will be my prized pencil, not too complicated and shiney, just good led.

02 February 2006
Originally Posted by Beanmaster: Hi, i think that many people don't know of Silo yet. It takes some time until it is established.
We have to tell everyone that Silo is a great tool.

i`m agree...i have only used silo for a week and i love it....but my first reaction 5 minutes after the first time i started to use was ""what a great modeling app!""...why the hell i never heard about it?......
i think that in time SILO will be famous....for sure!

02 February 2006
I love Silo too. I wanted something easy to model base meshes in and to import them into Zbrush. I started in Maya for no other reason than most of the tutorials I've watched used Maya. Every Maya tutorial starts with the teacher saying get MJ Poly Tools and CPS tools. My question is always "why?". Silo has all these great modeling tools built in. For anyone that wants to try Silo to download the demo AND (most importantly) get Glen Southern's FREE Silo tutorials at Kurv Studios. It will get you modeling at mach speed.

--roger

Thread Closed share thread