Old 01-29-2006, 06:54 AM   #1
DarkSybesis
I'm so confused
Loïc Faure-Lacroix
Québec, Canada

Silo2.0 platform

Hey hello,
I would like to know something about silo 2.0
I own a silo license, And i would like to know if silo2.0 will be a cross platform application. I know it's already working on windows and mac. But will it work on linux for the next silo.

I'm just really interested to know if i'll be able to go most of my time on my linux partition.
It would be cool to know. the answer should not be more long than a yes or a no.

Well cya...Loïc

Old 01-29-2006, 07:49 AM   #2
dotTom
SubDs are the Way

Tom Kirby-Green
Software Developer
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to dotTom
You're better off asking this directly to Nevercenter's Silo forum.

http://www.silo3d.com/forum/

I've on there quite a lot and I've not heard anything about Linux support, 2.0 will support Windows and OS X. No change there. If you really want Linux I gather that Lux's "modo" will support Linux around the time of their upcoming 201 release.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
DarkSybesis
I'm so confused
Loïc Faure-Lacroix
Québec, Canada

there is one post there but we didnt had any answer...
http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2573

Old 02-14-2006, 09:49 PM   #4
Puffin
Veteran
Austin Howard
Seattle, USA

I think it would be great to have a linux port also as long as development of the product isnt affected by the port.

With that said you should be able to run Silo pretty well in Wine. It works pretty well with the latest build of Wine 0.9.7. Just drag your install folder over from your windows partition to your /.wine directory in your user folder. You will also need to copy a dll file over from your system32 directory in windows. Make sure your using the correct drivers for your video card, not some generic one.

Its pretty fast running and definately replaces Wings3D as my modeler in linux, and has yet to crap out on me. There are some problems... the top menu doesnt show up for me but it does work if mouse clicked on, I just cant see the text. Also the pointer center is offset a bit and takes a bit of getting used to but its not that big a deal.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
arquebus
Wings3D

portfolio
Brad Cantrell
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin
Make sure your using the correct drivers for your video card, not some generic one.

Whats the difference between "correct" drivers and the generic ones?

Old 02-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
Puffin
Veteran
Austin Howard
Seattle, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by arquebus
Whats the difference between "correct" drivers and the generic ones?

Correct drivers would be the ones you get from like Nvidia or ATi.

In my experience with most Linux distros come with a sort of generic 3d driver that will recognize your card. Its called something like Mesa driver. At least it does with Ubuntu which is the distro I use. Its performance is total crap when running things in Opengl. By typing in a terminal "glxgears -printfps" (without quotes of course), you can get an idea if linux using anything for Opengl acceleration.

With generic drivers youll get something like 300 fps depending on your system. With a properly installed driver from ATI or Nvidia you should be getting well over 1000 fps. Of course Im in windows right now so Im going off memory as to those numbers. Anyways install your drivers from ATI/Nvidia and try the glxgear thing.

Also to find out exactly which driver Linux is using just type in "flglx" in your terminal. I cant help you with the installation process... I just know that if your using a Nvidia card its pretty easy... ATI cards are more of a pain. Check your distro's forums as to how to install them properly.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:38 AM   #7
-Sai-
Attribute transfer SOP

Sai
FX TD
ILM
Vancouver, Canada

off topic here but could you please tell me how do you get silo ruuning with Wine?
What I did is
- download silo installer from web site and install it using wine
- after installing , i checked the box to run after installation and i got this
Quote:
[root@xxx tmp]# wine Silo_Setup.exe
fixme:richedit:RichEditANSIWndProc WM_SETFONT: stub
err:menubuilder:InvokeShellLinker failed to fork and exec wineshelllink
err:menubuilder:extract_icon32 LoadLibraryExW (L"C:\\Silo\\Silo.ico") failed, er ror 193
err:menubuilder:InvokeShellLinker failed to fork and exec wineshelllink

-when i check the system monitor , wine preloader is running and using all my cpu power.
-ok then i tried wine silo.exe command but

Old 02-20-2006, 09:56 PM   #8
Puffin
Veteran
Austin Howard
Seattle, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Sai-
off topic here but could you please tell me how do you get silo ruuning with Wine?
What I did is
- download silo installer from web site and install it using wine
- after installing , i checked the box to run after installation and i got this

-when i check the system monitor , wine preloader is running and using all my cpu power.
-ok then i tried wine silo.exe command but

I just copied the whole silo folder over from my windows partition to the wine "windows" directory . I also had to copy a dll file over though I cannot remember which it was but gave me the error message of with the name of the file in it. It sounds like the install went fine, but it died when the installer tried to do the initial start up... I wouldnt worry about that because its probably something to do with the installer program not being able to initiate a wine session for Silo itself. No biggie.

I can normally start up Silo by rick-clicking on the exe file in the Silo folder and choosing "run in application wine" in the pop up menu. Of course thats using Gnome, so you maybe able to do that if your in another desktop enviroment. If your running from your terminal you need to either navigate to the directory, or add the path to the exe in your command. ie: wine /home/.wine/c_drive/Program\ Files/silo/Silo.exe. I would try the right clicking thing as its pretty easy to do, just make sure to turn on hidden files in your file manager so you can see the folders.

If you still cant start, you might need to investigate adding some core Link Libraries from Windows such as VB6run.dll and MSVC40.dll (going off memory on those names btw). I added those DLLs when I was trying to get World of Warcraft running in wine.

Oh and change your wine emulation to be XP. "$wine cfg" is the command I believe. Look over the other options and see if any of the other options may help you out as well.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:47 AM   #9
-Sai-
Attribute transfer SOP

Sai
FX TD
ILM
Vancouver, Canada

ehh,, thanks. i just ralized that somehow my above post is cut off.
I treid lunching silo using wine Silo.exe command but it won't run.I can see that wine is loading Silo in system monitor but won't show up on the screen . I am on fedora core 4 with Gnome Desktop.
I think I am missing dll link ?? but i am not familiar with how it works. I am gonna try googleing but any additional information regarding Link Libraries will be appericiated .

Old 02-21-2006, 08:40 AM   #10
Puffin
Veteran
Austin Howard
Seattle, USA

Ok here's what I have copied over from my windows install: mfc40.dll, mfc42.dll, msvcp60.dll, and glut32.dll (which is the one Silo asked for when it first started). I'm using wine 0.9.8 (new ver) running on Ubuntu 5.10 with Gnome but have also run it using wine 0.9.7.

The only other thing I can think of that I added was installing the windows version of Mozilla in wine and added then installed the Mozilla Active X control component. Lots of work to get WoW running I guess. It might be worth a shot to install it both if you have drive space available. Heres a link to the control.

http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/MozillaControl177.exe

Most of this stuff came from Gentoo's forum for wine and installing world of warcraft. Linked below.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-...68fe1614083fd4b

Old 06-26-2006, 04:57 PM   #11
janimatic
Frequenter
Julien Stiegler

hey!

from the silo2 screenshots it's quite obvious that they are using Qt4 (or 3) so linux version would be (almost) a simple rebuild...
Anyway for now I recommen,d you try WMware instead of wine...

Old 06-26-2006, 04:57 PM   #12
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread