Silo 2.0 news

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2005
Silo 2.0 news

I just saw this on their site ,also a new video on 2.0
Link http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthr...hlight=silo+2.0

Merry christmas to all.

12 December 2005
Thanks for the information, too bad that we have to wait longer then expected...

12 December 2005
Hm.. first modo... now Silo.... wonder if there's a link there.

12 December 2005
I think it is becoming a sad trend that software deadlines are routinely missed. I am sure it is better to wait for solid stable coding though. Just sucks that it seems so many developers are prone to this.

Better late than buggy!

12 December 2005
A trend towards delayed, yet solid product, and away from rushed buggy crap is a trend that I am behind 100%. However, I am 150% behind rushed, solid software ;p

12 December 2005
I also agree 100% on solid stable code taking priority.
What I think is triggering these delays is the pressure on developers nowadays. There is a lot of competition in this industry.
Also support forums are full of us users "nagging" developers about release dates. Basically almost forcing them to make (precarious) promises while at the same time relentlessly demanding new features. It can't be easy being a DCC developer these days. Hats off to them. And let's hope the stable code trend takes off. Clean efficient code is an artform on it's own!

12 December 2005
it's true it's sad this trend of delaying releases, although I forgive Silo because they're new, small and very honest.

12 December 2005
If anyone thinks delays in release of software when it comes to specific and small user based compared to average comsumer 'ware is a new trend doesn't remember history well enough when it comes to our idustry.
Haha, to me this is expected and a welcoming sign that they are not going to put software out just to hit a date and fix what they are fixing now for a 2.01 release after the issues become glaringly clear. Fix it now, save us users the headache of discovery

Last edited by jtk77 : 12 December 2005 at 09:40 PM.

12 December 2005
I guess it isnt a new trend but I am feeling a bit burned ever since the newtek lw 8 delay.... That is when I noticed these missed deadlines so much. I dont mind nevercenter missing the release date because from the sound of it it is because of opportunity to strengthen the code more. It will certainly be worth the wait.

12 December 2005
yeah, I understand that! I havn't hit a point where the missing tools or upgrades are keeping me from creating. Thats when you know you need them, when you hit a wall with content vs. time and a new tool would elevate the problem. Pretty much, you can do just about everything fundamentally in versions of software years old..but the time and hasstle without the new stuff isn't worth it. Inoventions let us bother with other details that get dropped for having to deal with the other

12 December 2005
definately its better to have a solid product than a rushed one that has to meet a public deadline - but the question remains: why succumb to public pressure for a release date when you'll inevitably have to dissapoint that same public? maybe release a very broad and ambiguous date e.g. "late2005/ early 2006 if no delays are encountered"

IMO release dates should be well over-estimated so that, if nothing else, everyone will get a nice suprise when its released early!!!

12 December 2005
Well, this is just speculation...but heres what I think happened. This is a small group here, they went to Siggraph, meet with some folks and needed some capital for whatever. So, they posted that if you purchase 1.4 at the 100 something bucks then when 2.0 comes out, and they had to give a date to make it seem sooner rather than later, you get it for a free upgrade. This allowed them to get users to buy then, rather than wait.
I for one, was going to wait till around now to purchase it because I don't have a lot of time till around the holidays to mess around with new stuff, but, based on the fact that I didn't want 2.0 to cost like 200 bucks instead of the 99 I could pay then, I did.
I'm sure a lot of others did as well wich gave them the cash for development and go after some code I'm sure they wanted to implament.
So in a sense telling us they will be done around end of 05 so buy now, was a smart move. They really, I'm sure, wanted to hit that date, but rather than be overlly generous with the date and have people go..oh march 06? I'll buy it later...a 90 day window seemed to really make you put out the cash.

12 December 2005
hehe i think your giving jamchild and feed WAY to much credit for being sneaky marketing geniuses i dont think there was any pre meditated marketing plan like that. there was a little more info on the closed beta board. basically its just a lot of work. and there is so much cool stuff that can side track you. like optimization of algorithms, new features etc. remember there is no boss barking out deadlines at nevercenter. the developers are the last word. a situation that seems to make Superior software but maybe slippery deadlines.

12 December 2005
So Brook you're on the beta ?
Let's talk, first would you like a whisky with your beer ?

Ok I guess you can't speak, but can you at least tell us if Silo 2 is going to rock our world or not ?

12 December 2005
The beta team hasn't been given a version of 2.0 yet?

We are waiting to see how everything comes together, just l ike you. I wish we could tell you all about 2.0 for a Guiness and Jameson, but we can't, since we know what you know.

Life beats down and crushes the soul... art reminds you that you have one. - Stella Adler

Thread Closed share thread