I see a border ahead !

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2005   #16
And what would i achieve by doing so ? Its a single object, i extruded a face to cover the hole, but did not merge the vertices...

Ah, i guess there is no such thing as a perfect software...
And still, who is TJ ?

Old 08 August 2005   #17
You should still use Mirror McKertis
Don't work on a single half only.

Create an instance mirror and keep it there.
Only if it starts chewing holes next to the center line, you can adjust tolerance.
Or you can just switch "Seam" preserve off.
Delete it in the end and use Mirror to finish up

But you still need instance mirror.
Also don't jump to conclusions before you learn the basics?
I'm sure most people here think Silo is quite perfect software.

Link to learn the basics from TJ below.
http://www.nevercenter.com/tutorial...racter_modeling
You can look in the tutorials section at Nevercenter also.
http://www.nevercenter.com

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Old 08 August 2005   #18
Originally Posted by McKertis: And still, who is TJ ?

Tony Jung. I think he works as a modeler for Blue Sky and is a regular in the Silo forums. He also made some Silo character modeling tutorials over at the Nevercenter site.

Old 08 August 2005   #19
Quote: Also don't jump to conclusions before you learn the basics?

You are ignoring my point. I have no problems with mirror, but i do have problems with edge borders which are NOT on symmetry seam. And its actually one of the most basic things i can think of...
But still, i appreciate you trying to help !

Quote: Tony Jung.

Thanks !

Old 08 August 2005   #20
What you're looking for is called Naked Edges. It's something NURBS tools have a feature for finding, not all programs do. Maya, having strong (but not great) NURBS tools would have a feature like this. A pure Sub-D modeler like Silo, Wings and the like, won't feature this or rarely do from what I've seen. That doesn't mean that it can't be included later. A "Show Naked Edges" command may come in handy if you lose track of what you're doing in a model.

Old 08 August 2005   #21
Originally Posted by McKertis: And what would i achieve by doing so ? Its a single object, i extruded a face to cover the hole, but did not merge the vertices...

Ah, i guess there is no such thing as a perfect software...
And still, who is TJ ?

Sorry, I missunderdstood your question. You could use grow selection to find unconnected faces.

These areas will also become obviously apparent if you subdivide the object.

Old 08 August 2005   #22
McKertis

border edges in silo are not fat like maya. it would be nice. that was easy.....

Old 08 August 2005   #23
Originally Posted by Cinnsealach: You could use grow selection to find unconnected faces.

Or one step less. Select a face form your object and Select->Expand Selection That selects every faces that is connected in one step. But that of course doesn't work with only one stray edge. For that Cinnsealach had a quite perfect solution. See below.
Originally Posted by Cinnsealach: These areas will also become obviously apparent if you subdivide the object.

Old 08 August 2005   #24
Quote: These areas will also become obviously apparent if you subdivide the object.

Well, at least thats something. Thanks.

Old 08 August 2005   #25
What he is looking for is "Border Edges" or "Open Edges".

Open Edges are edges that don't have a polygon defined on one side of them.

Border edges, in terms of polygons, are the same thing as open edges, but there is a different meaning in terms of UV's. UV Border edges occur where the UV's along a single edge are not welded. If you have one poly that has uv's defined along a single edge (the two verts that define the edge) at 0,0 and 0,1, and the face on the other side of the edge has uv's defined at -1,0 and -1,1, there is a UV Border edge.

Highlighting border edges in Maya is a huge help when looking for errors in the mesh, and I would second the request for highlighting them in Silo with a different width.

Life beats down and crushes the soul... art reminds you that you have one. - Stella Adler

Old 08 August 2005   #26
Yip, Yip! YeeeHAWWW! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT!

Hi McKertis,

Long story short, I'm back on the slow machine and can't do shism with Maya, so I'm back to playing with a streamlined modeller (Silo). I immediately knew what you were talking about when I first read your post, and highlighting border edges really appears to be an oversight by the Silo dev guys.

Anyhow I downloaded the Silo SDK and took it to task on its advertisement of being easily extendible. This is when the Woot, Woot, Wooting started. I can see this thing as being "THE" polymesh modeller! It took me about 30 minutes of research, and I had written my first plugin!!!

Just drop it into your '...\Silo\Plugins\Startup Plugins' directory and it will load on startup.

It will add a command (BFX Select Border Edges) to the 'Options->Keyboard Shortcuts...' menu dialog box. You'll need to assign a key.

It converts the current selection to edges, them selects the ones that only have one associated face... i.e. On the edge

By using this file you accept the responsibility to post any problems back to this thread... I'll keep an eye out for responses

I currently have free hosting for images, but no dedicated web space for non-image files... This link may be broken often

Grab your copy here... http://BentFX.com

Have a good one

Skip

*** Edit ***

Man I went way overboard on the smilies that time

Last edited by Electrofirma : 08 August 2005 at 04:25 AM.

Old 08 August 2005   #27
Something I should clarify, when I said it will convert the current selection I meant it. Select the faces of an ear or nose, and it will selct the edges around the hole. If you simply select the object, it will select all border edges.

I'm worked up now... I see the 'BentFX toolkit for Silo' in the future (smiley deserved)

Respectfully,

Skip

*** Edit ***
More clarification...

This .dll was built on a PC, I don't know if it is Mac compatible... I doubt it.

I have not created a button image for it yet. You can add it to the UI buttons, but you'll need to create an image for it, or else it just appears wrong, (it works, but it looks bad)

*** More Edit ***
I created a button image... It is linked from the same page as above.

Right click the image link and choose "save target as..." or else Internet explorer munges the name, and you have to rename it, replacing the %20's with spaces. This is assuming your using IE.

Last edited by Electrofirma : 08 August 2005 at 07:40 AM.

Old 08 August 2005   #28
Skip,

Do you mind posting the source code?

Life beats down and crushes the soul... art reminds you that you have one. - Stella Adler

Old 08 August 2005   #29
Certainly! It is based largely on the SelectEdgeFaces() sample function from the SDK.

void UserPlugin::BFX_SelectBorderEdges() {

// Convert current selection to edges
	sceneFunctions->ExecuteCommand(COM_CONVERT_TO_EDGE);

// Convert selection to edge pointer array
	GrowArray<Edge*> selEdges = sceneData->selectedEdges;

// Enter edge selection mode, also clears current selection...
	// but we've already got our array of pointers to previous selection.
	sceneFunctions->ExecuteCommand(COM_SELECT_EDGE_MODE);

// Loop through the previously selected edges
	for (int i = 0; i < selEdges.GetSize(); i++) {
		Edge* ee = selEdges[i];

// If it only has one face, add it to the new selection.
		if (ee->f.GetSize() == 1){
			ee->isSelected = true;
		}
	}

// Update the scene with the new selection 
	sceneFunctions->UpdateToNewSelection();
}

As you can see, it was really rather simple (If you've done this sort of thing before)

Old 08 August 2005   #30
Thanks Skip. That is rather simple nice job.

Thread Closed share thread