Amorphium for Sculpting, Silo for Topology

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2005   #1
Amorphium for Sculpting, Silo for Topology

I don't know if anyone has tried this yet, but Amorphium is a very straightforward "sculpting" tool that sells for $99. It has tools and simple methods that even ZBrush does not possess. The main problem with it, in the past, from a production standpoint, was the way it exported a completed mesh and its lack of UV tools.

However, in light of Silo's topology brush, whether a "base" mesh is dense or made of quads or triangulated or lacking UV's, doesn't enter into it. If the organic shape looks like you want when rendered, than it should be suitable to lay Silo's topology "on top".

Anybody tried this yet? Seems like an obvious joining of technologies that should work right now, regardless of when Nevercenter releases their next version.

Greg Smith

Old 08 August 2005   #2
Yeah i have Amorphium and the technique you mention works well enough, The only problem for me is prefer to model in Silo to Amorphium, I still get some use out of it making morphs and stuff though.

Old 08 August 2005   #3
I use Amorphuim in my work flow. It is good for somethings.

Old 08 August 2005   #4
I think a new version of Amorphium is long overdue
It's just a little too old and cumbersome imo.
I wish ei people would comment on this one.

But if it floats your boat, heck, it floats your boat

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Old 08 August 2005   #5
Hmm, that would work out I suppose. I was never big into that program...it seemed really clunky interface wise compared to Zbrush. I wasn't able to get good results with Amorphium's sculpting tools compared to Z but for 99 bucks it's not a bad deal to use with Silo. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for an Amorphium update...I'm not sure what company actually developes it but there's been no news in ages so I'm thinking it's the end of the line for that app. I know EI distributes it but they don't actually develope it from what I've read. Interesting idea though, show some wips if you guys try this out.

Old 08 August 2005   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread