Silo 2.0 ANNOUNCED....DECEPTION

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2005   #31
Am I lost... is this the LW forum??

Hey I think the whole point of this post being started was that all the features being displayed were already known. I am not saying these features are not welcome or even amazing (displacement!), but the hype surrounding thios whole midnight madness was misleading. Good news is this is nevercenter, they listen to there customers and make huge developements constantly. So by the time V2 is actually available many many more amazing features will be available.

Oh and just to squash some misinformation you cannot buy support for xsi foundation, basically all support is handled through the user forums(with the exception of installation, you can call them for that). So the total cost of xsi foundation is $500 with free updates untill upgrade time.

Old 08 August 2005   #32
Oh one more thing the difference between xsi foundation and other packages is not as much as you may think. The big differences are network rendering, hair, hard body dynamics, syflex cloth, a few other things like the way textures are displayed. Foundation is a complete fully functional tool, many do not require more than it offers.

Ok back to the silo discussion which I believe is an exceptional value!

Old 08 August 2005   #33
Originally Posted by Shortgrey: Nu or Bunka6 or whatever is your pseudo, you're boring.

I may be boring but the title of your thread is offensive and totally untrue.
There certainly was no deception with this announcement infact quite the opposite.

Old 08 August 2005   #34
Originally Posted by gent_k: Everyone already said that Silo, Modo(now), XSI are different beasts, don't you get it?

Think before posting and calling people nuts, please. You have serious issues.

If you would care to check the thread everyone did not say that at all.

Old 08 August 2005   #35
Originally Posted by Rabid pitbull: Oh and just to squash some misinformation you cannot buy support for xsi foundation, basically all support is handled through the user forums(with the exception of installation, you can call them for that). So the total cost of xsi foundation is $500 with free updates untill upgrade time.

agree.
Total misinformation from Nu/Bunka6.

My Spectacular:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=273724

Old 08 August 2005   #36
There is one thing I think a lot of people seems to forget when they judge the new feautres. That are the time and mind the Nevercenter guys usually put in to make new stuff fit in to the worksflow.

What good is a internal UV editor if is stills feels like changeing application?

The stuff that excites me the most are object management and the UV editing capabilities.
It might seem like regular stuff most apps got..
But if the impletion of it follow the regular NC way, it will be rock solid when it comes to ease of use and functionality.

Just my few cents

Old 08 August 2005   #37
[QUOTE=gent_k]Honestly if you compare any apps prices with XSIFoundations, it'll end up costing a fortune . QUOTE]

Remarks like the above are trying to make out that Silo is expensive, This is untrue.
Making out that i have not understood what you have said is pretty silly just look at the quote.

You seem to think that i was the poster who originally brought other apps into the thread WRONG, I was pointing out that Silo is not in XSIs pricerange and that has nothing to do with if its an animation package a modeller or whatever, The price difference between the two is considerable maintanence fees or no maintanaince fees.

The other packages i mentioned where to point out that there where other packages closer to XSIs price range than Silo that could be seen as better packages than XSI.

The issue with XSIs maintainance fees, Well so many people in countries around the world will tell you a different tale about how much they had to pay for this and yet some dont (Still everyone of them loves XSI so all's well i suppose)

Old 08 August 2005   #38
Yes, there are only a few features announced, in comparison to the several hundred page feature lists that companies like Alias release.
But-
-Nevercenter is a small company, you can't expect them to keep pace with a full developement team
-The features added are not merely adding on to existing toolsets, they are completely new to the app, and no doubt require a lot of work. Furthermore, if you watch the videos, you will notice that Nevercenter only mentions the main improvements, instead of detailing every single feature they added.
-While the 2.0 announcement may seem underwhelming to you, keep in mind, that unlike other companies that release their software, and then bottle up everything until the next paying release, Nevercenter has with each .# release been adding significant new features and streamlining their application. With 1.0, you also got 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4, and hopefully the same trend continues. As Jamchild has already said, this also means that the feature set for a 2.0 release is much less than what it would have been if they had saved 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 feature additions for the 2.0 release.

So if you don't like it, deal with it. Silo is already an excellent polygonal modeler, and some of its remaining problems have been solved: UV editing and object management. Silo, imho, is well worth the paltry amount of money it costs

Old 08 August 2005   #39
Originally Posted by Shortgrey: agree.
Total misinformation from Nu/Bunka6.

Hhhhhhhhm i guess you know everything then yes ?

Old 08 August 2005   #40
Originally Posted by Goon: Silo, imho, is well worth the paltry amount of money it costs

Goon,

Um... I think you meant "Silo, imho, is well worth MORE THAN the paltry amount of money it costs"

Old 08 August 2005   #41
To me one of the most inportant things that Nevercenter did was keep it's users informed. The Siggraph stuff was not really news, it was more of a display of what they told users was coming. My hat's off to the dev team for keeping the users informed.

I'm not a currrent Silo user but, I will be a future Silo user.

Old 08 August 2005   #42
Hey folks,

We're all for honest opinions and discussion, but please be sure to steer clear from personal attacks, and respect each other's right to an opinion. Just wanted to leave a note to help steer this thread away from any potential flame war before it starts. Carry on.

Old 08 August 2005   #43
Thx feed hard to have an opinion out of fanboyism nowadays

My Spectacular:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=273724

Old 08 August 2005   #44
Well i think everybody has been honest but the title of the thread should be changed as that is just untrue.

Old 08 August 2005   #45
Aaah
I suppose the fanboyism remark is pointed at me for pointing out the facts yes ?

Thread Closed share thread