CGTalk > More Forums > Click Here for: > Nevercenter Silo
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-22-2005, 09:28 PM   #1
panadar
Veteran

Thinking about purchasing Silo

I've looked at the website. Silo looks really great! Currently, I own Lightwave. I really do like using the Modeller in Lightwave. However, I spend a lot of time away from home. Therefore, I have a requirement to be able to model on another computer in addition to my main computer whenever I'm not home. The second machine would be a laptop computer. I see no reason to purchase another copy of Lightwave just for the purpose of modelling. I'm looking into purchasing Silo for this reason. I will use a modelling program to model 3d spaceships and other objects for the purpose of producing gaming miniature masters for miniature wargames. Furthermore, as Lightwave is my rendering and animation engine of choice, I will also use a modelling program which can save the objects in that format, or format which Lightwave can p/u, then render and animate those objects in Lightwave. By the way. However, I had a couple of questions, before I take the final decision to buy Silo.

1. In Lightwave, I can model an object using splines, then patching those splines. Does this type of function exist in Silo?

2. Also in Lightwave, I can model by placing a picture in the background, then use that picture as a reference to create either a polygon or spline. This can be done in either one view, or in all three views. Can this be done in Silo?

3. Also, this can't be done in Lightwave directly. I need to create a "full scale" model. Say for example a spaceship which may measure 12000 ft. Now, in order to have a 3d part made of that spaceship, for obvious reasons, I can't get that 3d printed. I will need to then resize that spaceship let's say 1/12000 scale to then be able to produce a gaming miniature master of about 2-3 inches. Can this be done in Silo?

Again, thanks in advance for answering my questions. Silo looks very nice. Especially when compared to Modo or Zbrush. However, I ask these question not only because of the price of the software, but because of the time it will take to learn to effectively use the software, and integrate it into my pipline.

Old 06-22-2005, 09:57 PM   #2
BazC
Disorganised doodler

portfolio
Barry Croucher
Illustrator
Huntingdon, United Kingdom

1) No, no patch modeling in Silo and I don't know if there ever will be, it's mainly a box and poly by poly modeller plus some very basic spline functions - lathe, extrude along path and extrude.

2)Yes you can place reference images in one or more viewports (not in perspective view though)

3)Yes you can scale down a model using the Numerical editor.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:14 PM   #3
KBOC
dumber than a redshirt
Killed Before Opening Credits
USA

If it were me doing your spaceship project, I'd start the basic shapes in Silo. I wouldn't stay there, however. I'd detail it in Rhino. Please remember, this is me and based on how I think. It's by no means intended to be the correct answer.

Anyway, I'd do the basic shapes in Silo. It's a little tedious compared to Rhino (which I'm used to) do your measuring and make sure everything's to proper scale. The reason I'd then take it into Rhino is all about scaling. Rhino's weaknesses have to do with creating the meshes, which is tedious at best. For me, these two programs complement eachother very well. It's a simple thing for me to make a model to any scale necessary by simply typing in a command "scale" and "1345.456" and it'll be exactly that in a snap. I don't have to scale the XYZ dimensions individually as I do in Silo. If I want to scale along a single dimension: it's scale1d, and for two, it's scale2d.

I'd love for silo to have this option, but it's not at all necessary in terms of what I'm using it for. Too, if I need an absolute scale figure, I can set up a base template to scale in Rhino using primitives, or whatever, and build my model in Silo over that... again, it's why I feel I've got the best of both worlds.

Rhino sucks, absolutely sucks at organic modelling for animation. That's why I have what I think is the finest subdiv modeller I've ever tried... which would be Silo.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:13 AM   #4
jamchild
Silo Developer

Jamchild
USA

Just thought I'd throw in a note that we're working on the Numerical Editor a bit for a 1.42 release. Also, I'm not sure that people realize they can use the "distance" field in the Numerical Editor to both measure things and to adjust distances between things. Also, you can use the General Options window to adjust the Unit Factor which interprets how big something is in rela units compared with OpenGL units, to change how big it's telling you something is.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:13 AM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread