Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-16-2005, 05:06 AM   #1
KBOC
dumber than a redshirt
Killed Before Opening Credits
USA

On Booleans

Hi guys... I've heard many times that Booleans in polygon modellers are hit and miss...

I just tried a couple of these in Silo (first time, hadn't thought of it before) and they seem to be just fine (and, in true silo form, simple to use)

Now, are there any issues? If I can use booleans I'm going to be using them a lot. But I'm not used to Polygon modelling. What issues should I be watching out for (other than 10 sided polygons... :P)?

Old 06-16-2005, 05:44 AM   #2
jamchild
Silo Developer

Jamchild
USA

So long as you're not planning on subdividing the shapes, there's no problem. Booleans are great for architectural modeling and the like, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:13 AM   #3
KBOC
dumber than a redshirt
USA

Actually, I am planning on using SubDivs

What I did in my couple of tests was use a boolean cube from the side of a cylinder, and use the split tool to divide them up into quads. It worked well in my tests... after sudiv. Can you tell me what kind of problems you run into there?

Old 06-16-2005, 08:23 AM   #4
BazC
Disorganised doodler

portfolio
Barry Croucher
Illustrator
Huntingdon, United Kingdom

I've not used Silo's booleans (I avoid using booleans if at all possible..and it usually is!) the usual problems they cause are high poly counts at the cut point and appaling topolgy (which is why they don't always work well with subdivision and deformation)

A lot of the time the use of booleans can be avoided by simple low poly modeling techniques, the situation you described above for instance could be acheived by extruding inwards, one or more polys from the side of the cylinder.

They do have their place though, in certain situations they can save a LOT of time! - Baz

Old 06-16-2005, 09:08 AM   #5
KBOC
dumber than a redshirt
USA

I guess my lack of experience with subDs is showing

Thanks for the explaination.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #6
AAAron
Lord of the posts

I canīt get my render application (Messiah) to read the boolean holes at all. But since the intruduction of the snapping manipulator, I donīt see much point in using booleans att all. It makes it very easy to make real holes in stuff when doing hardbody modeling like architectural stuff. Just extrude, insetscale, bridge and snap away

One of the advantages with real holes are that you can put a small bevel on the edges without trouble, with takes away some of the "supersharp computer" look of the renders.

I said it before on silos forum, but the snaping manipulator are the most important of all the new tools in silo if you are doing hardbody stuff, itīs really invaluable!!!

Old 06-16-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
Cinnsealach
PRO

portfolio
Andy Kinsella
Manchester, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAAron
I said it before on silos forum, but the snaping manipulator are the most important of all the new tools in silo if you are doing hardbody stuff, itīs really invaluable!!!

A big AMEN to that

Old 06-16-2005, 11:22 AM   #8
KBOC
dumber than a redshirt
USA

Okay... please explain to me what I'm missing here.

I'm playing with booleans and it looks to me like Silo just attatches two objects together and makes whatever x-sided polygons in the process... am I wrong?

Old 06-16-2005, 11:49 AM   #9
AAAron
Lord of the posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOC
Okay... please explain to me what I'm missing here.

I'm playing with booleans and it looks to me like Silo just attatches two objects together and makes whatever x-sided polygons in the process... am I wrong?

Ok here is a example, first screen is a box with a boolean hole:

Same box subdivided, the hole behave weird. And if you try to connect verts on the hole to verts on the box, you will see that it dosenīt work.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:35 PM   #10
Cinnsealach
PRO

portfolio
Andy Kinsella
Manchester, United Kingdom

Oddly, Connect won't work on the verts, but the split tool will.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:27 PM   #11
KBOC
dumber than a redshirt
USA

I've been using split to break up odd sized polys to quads... works great with booleans

Now, what I can do, is model a complete interior then boolean it out, and just fix the quads where they meet!

Old 06-16-2005, 01:38 PM   #12
AAAron
Lord of the posts

Quote:
I've been using split to break up odd sized polys to quads... works great with booleans

Now, what I can do, is model a complete interior then boolean it out, and just fix the quads where they meet!

Your right the split works, thats been the main reason for me avoiding booleans in hardbody modeling. Booooooooooleans here I come

Last edited by AAAron : 06-16-2005 at 01:44 PM.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:42 PM   #13
AAAron
Lord of the posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnsealach
Oddly, Connect won't work on the verts, but the split tool will.

Just found out that once you used the split tool between two of the verts, connect works on the others..... When you used one boolean that was.. Going back to the old method of doing holes, booleans was not that great after all... Booooooooooleans here I leave:(

Last edited by AAAron : 06-16-2005 at 01:49 PM.

Old 06-16-2005, 02:04 PM   #14
KBOC
dumber than a redshirt
USA

HO, wait there a minute.... what happens???? I don't see it.

Old 06-16-2005, 03:03 PM   #15
AAAron
Lord of the posts

Quote:
HO, wait there a minute.... what happens???? I don't see it.

Nice looking boolean object:

After first connect: wacky boolean object

Of course if you continue to split it will look good but it takes the same time as doing the holes the regular way, with extrude, inset, bridge and snap. Btw did I tell you I love the snaptool

And I can see other uses when booleans are good like carving stuff out of spheres.

Last edited by AAAron : 06-16-2005 at 03:10 PM.

Thread Closed share thread