Coming for Siggraph 2005 from Nevercenter...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2005
Coming for Siggraph 2005 from Nevercenter...

We tried being kinda secretive about what we're working on to show at Siggraph, but it didn't really keep with the Silo spirit...

http://silo3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3946

06 June 2005
Hmmm, sounds...

Can you be a bit more detailed with the displacement explanation, Artisan or ZBrush???

06 June 2005
Yes please!! looking forward to get to know more...

06 June 2005
Smile

can't wait to try this stuff

06 June 2005
just reading on the nevercenter forum that some people are afraid of competition with zbrush.
Who cares really. Competition is good, and I don't see how silo will loose business by expanding it's tool set. Paint tools are necesarry for any modeling program, and it will be exportable to zbrush if you can export a displacement map you can import it to zbrush and apply it to your sub-divided mesh.

06 June 2005
I'm guessing the displacement painting is more like maya artisan than zbrush? The sphere alone show's a low res displacement, and I don't think silo is capable of handling mass amounts of polygons like zbrush does so is this a correct assumption that it won't be like zbrush in that you can create TONS of fine detail and more like artisan where it's just used for general larger effect?

I'd like to think it could replace zbrush because i absolute hate zbrush's interface and workflow, it's a VERY painful app to use compared to traditional 3d apps and would LOVE to have it's abilities in another package not just to avoid it's interface and workflow but also to now have to be switching between apps all the time.

06 June 2005
Lovisx - I don't think anyone is afraid of competition with zbrush but afraid that Silo might lose it's focus by developing in that direction. I'm guessing that Nevercenter have their own direction and aren't exactly following the ZBrush or Artisan path. We'll have to wait and see though!

Swampthing I doubt that Nevercenter are working on something that could replace ZBrush and I don't think they should. Maybe they are working on displacement mapping (like Bodypaint is capable of for instance) rather than displacement modeling a la ZBrush? That would be interesting because with that capability in place they would be half way to projection painting and texturing which would be unbelievably cool! Probably too much to hope for a Bodypaint replacement for $109 though lol! - Baz

06 June 2005
I'm not sure what the feature of bodypaint that your talking about does? I have no experience with body paint.

I'd personally like to see silo improve more on it's mechanical modelling abilities rather than focusing more heavily on organic as they seem to be now.

Even if this is just basically maya artisan it's still handy, i'd just like to see a more mainstream zbrush replacement built into an existing app that's focused SOLELY on displacement mapping and removes all the 2.5d stuff that zbrush started out as. I'd like to see a tab JUST for displacement sculpting, simplified and straightforward with more direct workflow. I can dream i guess.

06 June 2005
BazC
Quote: That would be interesting because with that capability in place they would be half way to projection painting and texturing which would be unbelievably cool! Probably too much to hope for a Bodypaint replacement for $109 though lol! - Baz

And why can't a much expanded version 2 of Silo not go for $300+
Buy it now you'll get a better price

Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

06 June 2005
Bodypaint is a 3d painting app (+ UV mapping) which can paint on all material channnels simultaneously colour, spec, bump etc including displacement, I'm not sure that it displays the displacement in real time though.

As for replacing ZBrush, as you said yourself Silo will probably never handle the number of polys that ZB can so it can't realisticly compete. Of course I could be wrong! lol!

"And why can't a much expanded version 2 of Silo not go for $300+
Buy it now you'll get a better price "

True! and I already did

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by swampthing: i'd just like to see a more mainstream zbrush replacement built into an existing app that's focused SOLELY on displacement mapping and removes all the 2.5d stuff that zbrush started out as. I'd like to see a tab JUST for displacement sculpting, simplified and straightforward with more direct workflow. I can dream i guess.

This is probably more along the lines of what we're doing - you could still use zbrush for super fine detailing (like pores) and for painting textures, but anything up to that point, blocking out shapes and painting higher-res details and wrinkles on the subdivided surface of a lower-res control mesh, you could do in Silo, in a more direct 3D workflow and interface (for example being able to have more than one object in 3D at a time), alongside all the traditional poly modeling tools already in Silo. It'd save a lot of the back-and-forth some people currently do between the two apps. Instead of something like Silo->Zbrush->Silo->Zbrush->Maya that many people are doing now, it'd be Silo->Zbrush->Maya or just Silo->Maya (if you don't need to paint on details like pores).

Last edited by jamchild : 06 June 2005 at 08:03 PM.

06 June 2005
Now that's good news. I think it's time to finally buy silo.

If variable edge weights that are exportable is next i'd be in heaven.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by jamchild: This is probably more along the lines of what we're doing - you could still use zbrush for super fine detailing (like pores) and for painting textures, but anything up to that point, blocking out shapes and painting higher-res details and wrinkles on the subdivided surface of a lower-res control mesh, you could do in Silo, in a more direct 3D workflow and interface (for example being able to have more than one object in 3D at a time), alongside all the traditional poly modeling tools already in Silo. It'd save a lot of the back-and-forth some people currently do between the two apps. Instead of something like Silo->Zbrush->Silo->Zbrush->Maya that many people are doing now, it'd be Silo->Zbrush->Maya or just Silo->Maya (if you don't need to paint on details like pores).

Wow! - (sound of jaw hitting floor!)

06 June 2005
Thumbs up

wow !
and in silo you work in true perspective which is a great advantage for me,
when sculpting in zbrush you can "look" only through an orthographic perspective camera... and i really dislike it. :(
now i really cant wait

Last edited by the_WrongChoice : 06 June 2005 at 04:38 PM.

06 June 2005
dear jamchild

I just cant wait. If Silo manages to integrate UV mapping just like in Unfold 3d with keeping the price somewhere affordable, 3d industry will be shaken seriously.

We need applications like Silo, we need clean interfaces, top notch features, expandable SDK's with affordable prices. Silo is the only application which really makes me talk about it.

ANd how cool is that, you are going to Siggraph, you are seeing Silo and its new features and you are buying right away, WHY? Because you CAN buy silo Right away. You can go back to your hotel and start modelling at very night. That s the Silo way.

BEST

Thread Closed share thread