Importing Ai curves & shapes into Silo

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2005
Importing Ai curves & shapes into Silo

I like to illustrate my shapes in Ai , just love AI. can I import AI files into Silo adn if yes what Ai specific .eps version 3, 8 or ? Also do u go File open and it opens the Ai file.

Thank You in Advance for your help.
~Rob

06 June 2005
Unfortunately no, I would like this to, also a big fan of AI. Even though I have get used to do my profiles with polylines.

06 June 2005
No, no .ai import at the moment. Sorry!

06 June 2005
what no way! that is just no acceptable. oh man big uturn any ideas when Silo will fix this?

06 June 2005
I don't know if they ever mean to "fix" it! lol! It's been requested and my guess would be they will add it at some point, I doubt that it's high priority though. Silo is principally a box and poly by poly modeler. I believe those are the areas Nevercenter will concentrate on, that just my guess though!

06 June 2005
and what would be the reason to import beziers into a polyModeling package?

06 June 2005
say for example you want to model a certain peice. the shape of a couch for example and u wanhted to model a cushion and this cushion had an interesting shape like a heart so what i do is i draw the shape of the heart in illustrator using then pen tool since its a much more advance tool to draw and i am a graphic designer/web developer that likes to draw and 3d. So i use Ai a lot, well then i import what i drew and start my extrusion slicing and what not. Theres many reasons why. i dont just rely on one app for everything i like to use the power of all apps combine to create my stuff. well tahts one reason and i am shure there is more.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by ArtofacksOne: ...shape like a heart so what i do is i draw the shape of the heart in illustrator using then pen tool since its a much more advance tool to draw, well then i import what i drew and start my extrusion slicing and what not.

if this is what u'd do, u'd still end up with approximations, since this is poly/subD. it's not a big deal to do it from scratch with poly tools (any app, in silo probably even easier), since you're dealing with approximations.

where i see beziers handy is NURBS, because u end up with identical surface (when lathe, extrude, etc).

try playing around with poly/subD u'd be surprised how quick and accurate u can get a shape (in silo). the key is to tweak between 2x-SubD and zero-subD (in silo u can work directly on subD surface)

06 June 2005
<< i dont just rely on one app for everything i like to use the power of all apps >>

Import into Silo at whatever stage, etc. (use .ai version 8 or earlier)

pp

http://www.stratacafe.com/image_rel...p?imageID=18728

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by puzzledpaul: << i dont just rely on one app for everything i like to use the power of all apps >>

Import into Silo at whatever stage, etc. (use .ai version 8 or earlier)

pp

http://www.stratacafe.com/image_rel...p?imageID=18728

Hey this is silo not wings, you can´t import illustrator files. Or did you mean going trough wings?

06 June 2005
<< Or did you mean ... >>

Yes - just as a means of converting a .ai file to geom. that can then be brought into Silo and modified there - no more, no less

(there are probably other (free) apps. that offer a similar facility - I just happen to know of this'un )

pp

06 June 2005
Hi. I'm the author of the last tutorial that PuzzeledPaul was so kind to post.
Illustrator is an invaluble tool and SHOULD be used for what it is in a box modeler - a great drawing tool. I also have Silo, but have never tried to import an Illustrator drawing into it. If I did, I would use Wings3D as a bridge to bring it into Silo as an OBJ.

Here's another in-depth tutorial. (I also found out there is yet another way to do this bevel.):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...la/d29f96f7.jpg

Last edited by cszetela : 06 June 2005 at 02:41 PM.

06 June 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread